• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skeptical jesus

Reaction score
Seems unnecessary to call people who can't afford $500 shoes "bottom feeders." People often want more affordable versions of things they can't buy. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Well said. Derek, I actually really want to compliment you on the way that both PTO and Die Workwear remain extremely conscious and sensitive of the fact that lots of people probably can't afford most of the stuff that gets discussed on the blog. It's tough because anything to do with economic means instantly takes on a political (and often inherently) racial undertone, and you guys walk that line very, very well.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This: And then you have these bottom-feeders going to reddit every couple of weeks and asking for cheaper versions of it. Dayton hasn't put out a boot as iconic since that wings+horns collab, and I don't think they ever will. I was dumb enough to buy into it, and the boot I ended up with was basically trash. I don't even wear it anymore.
Seems unnecessary to call people who can't afford $500 shoes "bottom feeders." People often want more affordable versions of things they can't buy. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I agree with you, Derek, but I think that you may be misreading the tone of some posters who want "the look for less." It's not so much that they can't afford something. Many of them post with the attitude that anyone buying the Vibergs or Daytons, or anything, at a high retail, is a sucker, and that to get the product for less is getting one over on the rubes, or alternatively, rich assholes. I find that attitude, and the attendant attitude that they are entitled to have something at a lower price, to be socially toxic. It's not hard to.find examples, even here. I've deleted tons of posts in the sales thread that read some variation of "I know that it's not usually, but I really want a discount code lol. And yes, there is often an undercurrent of class tensions.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree with you, Derek, but I think that you may be misreading the tone of some posters who want "the look for less." It's not so much that they can't afford something. Many of them post with the attitude that anyone buying the Vibergs or Daytons, or anything, at a high retail, is a sucker, and that to get the product for less is getting one over on the rubes, or alternatively, rich assholes.

I find that attitude, and the attendant attitude that they are entitled to have something at a lower price, to be socially toxic. It's not hard to.find examples, even here. I've deleted tons of posts in the sales thread that read some variation of "I know that it's not usually, but I really want a discount code lol.

And yes, there is often an undercurrent of class tensions.

I don't doubt that you've seen them, but FWIW, I can only think of a couple of times where I've seen someone show that kind of attitude. Most of the time, it's just someone who can't afford to drop that kind of money on nice things, and they would like a reasonable and more affordable alternative. I do this all the time for things I like, but am not passionate about (most recent example is rugs, where I don't want to drop $50k on a rare piece, but would like something nice).

The class tension stuff, on the other hand, I see all the time. Not just in the form of Vox-like joking (which I admit I engage in), but just a general looking-down on people who aren't willing to pay as much money for things. I mean, the poster above used the term "bottom feeders," which IMO is telling.

Asking for discount codes seems like a separate thing. Everyone wants what they want for less. I think that's true whether you're buying $1,500 Edward Greens or $200 Allen Edmonds Seconds. That seems like reasonable and normal human behavior to me.

On the CM side, there was one poster (Reevolving), who regularly showed the kind of attitude you're talking about. He was basically singled out and mocked by the whole subforum, from people who spent little on clothes to people who spent a lot. The guy can't even start a new thread at this point without someone putting in a popcorn emoticon.

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I think one of the things that makes this board interesting is that it was originally mostly populated by "boot guys," who were mostly interested in boots and whose primary points of reference were White's, Red Wing, etc. But then there came in a strong contingent of "fashion guys," who are interested in Viberg as part of a larger style thing, and whose primary points of reference are Edward Green as well as high end suits and watches, etc. Sometimes the boot guys express disbelief at the idea of paying $900 a pair; and sometimes the fashion guys express disbelief that someone might wear Vibergs with dress pants or mistake matte leather for a dress leather. But what I like is that the two groups mostly get on fine and even learn a bit from each other.

It seems clear that this in fact mirrors the same dichotomy at Viberg itself, where father Glen by all accounts is a boot guy concerned to make sturdy, hardwearing boots and son Brett is a fashion guy working to put Viberg on the map outside of just the boot world (and who, to the consternation of the boot guys, is on record as wanting to push prices higher). Though he is less on public view, it seems like Brett's brother Jason represents a middle ground, maintaining a balance between the two.

I have to say that I hope that balance is maintained, both at Viberg and on this board.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about if you only wear boots, but made by the higher end brands such as EG, Vass, Viberg, and Alden? Does that make you a boot guy or a fashion guy?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about if you only wear boots, but made by the higher end brands such as EG, Vass, Viberg, and Alden? Does that make you a boot guy or a fashion guy?

Yeah, I don't think the categories are mutually exclusive and some of us may have a foot in both. But I'd say if you're buying the rest of your clothes off the rack and aren't regularly checking other fashion boards outside of boots, but are willing to pay the price for these high quality boot makers: Boot Guy.

Theloniouskase

Reaction score
So... I maybe crazy for this, really crazy, and know I'm gonna regret this soon but I'm willing to part with my brandy shell size 8.5. Worn a few times already. Might list them on eBay unless someone makes me an offer. Not letting them go for less than what I paid for. PM me if interested.

skeptical jesus

Reaction score
So... I maybe crazy for this, really crazy, and know I'm gonna regret this soon but I'm willing to part with my brandy shell size 8.5. Worn a few times already. Might list them on eBay unless someone makes me an offer. Not letting them go for less than what I paid for. PM me if interested.
I'm kinda curious to see if you can get MSRP back out of them. Probably, I'm guessing? Especially if #4 Alden shells go for like $1500 or whatever.

But I feel like I would be super stubborn about it, know what you paid, and know that they're worn, I'd want like $100 off or something....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads