• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thewinedown

Reaction score
I'll see if I can get some clear pics of what I'm talking about. It's most prominent right after it happens. I think my use of the word "blistering" may suggest something more severe than what it is. They're bumps that appear underneath some droplets that sometimes go away completely and sometimes don't go away completely (but shrink as they dry). They're slight, but when they're there, they're there.

I put it Alden Leather Defender on before I wore them outside, and it didn't seem to help the Shinki olive latigo horsehide.

I've got a closet full of Saphir products -- if one saw my stash, I might be mistaken for a Saphir distributor or salesman. That said, I've been having great results using Blackrock Leather 'N' Rich and just put it on my Shinki olive horsehide latigo boots. They look fantastic (a bit more shine), feel a bit more supple, and I'm curious to see if the carnauba in the Blackrock helps at all with water spotting. I'll let you know.

So far I've tried Blackrock (with excellent results) with Maryam teacore horsebutt, Chromexcel (cow and horse), Rowdy Dachshund, Seidel Domane, and the Shinki latigo horsehide (though, again, for the latter, I'm not sure yet if it will help at all with water spotting). If I keep getting results like I've gotten so far, I'm going to start using the same way I'd use Renovateur or VSC. I tend not to use VSC much at all, though, as I sometimes get white buildup/flaking in creases, which is something I don't get with Renovateur or Blackrock.

(I have no affiliation with Blackrock, don't personally know anyone there, etc.)
Ah I see. More like goosebumps or something, huh?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, more like that. But I've got no other leather here that does exactly that. It's strange. Again, I hope my upcoming Lofgren Shinki teacore combat boots don't do that.
I've never had blistering like that, the teacore black is nice as you can't really see the spots on em unless you hold it up to a light and watch the light break

alpenglowing

Reaction score
1F84F47E-BEF4-47D0-A32F-C420FBC14AC3.jpeg

Natural shell boots today. I do have some black shell Alden shoes that developed blistering in the vamp after spending <1 minute in the rain several months ago. No other leathers have blistered on me though.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you order in the first batch? I did, and I'm still waiting for a shipping notice.

Those look great, by the way!
Yes I ordered from the first batch. I think they’re just really behind on preorders.

Thanks! This is truly some of the best horsebutt I’ve handled. Super dense with some pliability. The top layer is dense and almost feels shell, as in animal, like.

Avid Runner

Reaction score
Try 2040 0.5 up from your 2055 size.
I'm also interested in 2040 sizing and your experience, especially given the recommendation of some retailers to, as a general rule, size similar to the 2030 last. Why do you recommend going up a half size from the 2055 (i.e., what aspect of the 2040 last is different: length, width, or instep)? I wear the same size in the 2030 and 2055 lasts. Thank you very much for your help!

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested in 2040 sizing and your experience, especially given the recommendation of some retailers to, as a general rule, size similar to the 2030 last. Why do you recommend going up a half size from the 2055 (i.e., what aspect of the 2040 last is different: length, width, or instep)? I wear the same size in the 2030 and 2055 lasts. Thank you very much for your help!
Jeff said 2055 was a little short, which means he was wearing the wrong size. I'm advising him to get the right size (or at least closer to the right size). That goes for any last.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeff said 2055 was a little short, which means he was wearing the wrong size. I'm advising him to get the right size (or at least closer to the right size). That goes for any last.
Also, implied in my response is that yes, you should absolutely try 2040, because it's awesome.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, 2040 in 2030 size (assuming you size 2030 1 down from brannock) has a tighter instep. If you have a high volume instep, going 1/2 down from brannock for the 2040 last makes sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads