• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairate

Reaction score
Guy,

How does the new sole compare to Dainite? Visually I can barely tell the difference. Is there a difference in compound? Why the move away from Dainite with the restock?

guyferguson

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score

Guy, How does the new sole compare to Dainite? Visually I can barely tell the difference. Is there a difference in compound? Why the move away from Dainite with the restock?
Practically speaking they are pretty much identical. It might even be the exact same mould. We stocked Itshide before Dainite, so we've had both at the factory for a while now. The reason the most recent inventory has had Itshide is because we are waiting on a restock from Dainite. Honestly though they are totally interchangeable.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The use of the word "boondocker" makes me think this is roughout - I'd be interested in a grey roughout with dainite sole. (It constantly rains here so I have limited use for leather soles.)

Yup, Smoke Kudu's roughout! More than on board with this!

I didn't specify it when I posted earlier but I was actually NOT thinking of roughout but grain side out. Not sure what @rydenfan had in mind. He is interested in smoke grey kudu. I could go with that but I had also mentioned black Guidi or grey nubuck as desirable. I personally am looking for a black or dark grey matte leather as a Service Boot or a Boondocker on the 2030 last. I'd prefer double leather soles but would go with Dainite if that's what the group wanted. But I'm not interested in a roughout now (have one already).

guyferguson

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Just a quick note on the Boondocker. That name actually refers to a very specific make up of our Service Boot. It was originally a project between Brett Viberg and Nick Horween. The idea was to offer up an interpretation of the original WWII Boondocker using the exact same leather that Horween had originally supplied for the boot in the 1940s. There is a blog post on the Horween site about this here: http://horween.com/history/boondockers/

Besides the specific leather our Boondocker also has white thread, painted brown eyelets, no top band, and a different stitching pattern than the rest of our Service Boots (4 rows on the quarters, 3 on the counter). If you were to change any of these details it would no longer be a Boondocker. Here is an old photo of our version compared to an authentic Boondocker:

Real McCoy's also makes a Boondocker reproduction and they actually went through the trouble of recreating the threaded rubber sole of the original, although the leather they use isn't quite accurate.

Hope that clears things up!

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't specify it when I posted earlier but I was actually NOT thinking of roughout but grain side out. Not sure what @rydenfan had in mind. He is interested in smoke grey kudu. I could go with that but I had also mentioned black Guidi or grey nubuck as desirable. I personally am looking for a black or dark grey matte leather as a Service Boot or a Boondocker on the 2030 last. I'd prefer double leather soles but would go with Dainite if that's what the group wanted. But I'm not interested in a roughout now (have one already).

Just a quick note on the Boondocker. That name actually refers to a very specific make up of our Service Boot. It was originally a project between Brett Viberg and Nick Horween. The idea was to offer up an interpretation of the original WWII Boondocker using the exact same leather that Horween had originally supplied for the boot in the 1940s. There is a blog post on the Horween site about this here: http://horween.com/history/boondockers/

Besides the specific leather our Boondocker also has white thread, painted brown eyelets, no top band, and a different stitching pattern than the rest of our Service Boots (4 rows on the quarters, 3 on the counter). If you were to change any of these details it would no longer be a Boondocker. Here is an old photo of our version compared to an authentic Boondocker:

Real McCoy's also makes a Boondocker reproduction and they actually went through the trouble of recreating the threaded rubber sole of the original, although the leather they use isn't quite accurate.

Given Guy's excellent clarification, I guess then I am not thinking of a Boondocker for the MTO we're suggesting.

odessaboots

Reaction score

Thank you for the excellent clarification! Any plans for a Boondocker on the 2030 in the near future?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

guyferguson

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score

Thank you for the excellent clarification! Any plans for a Boondocker on the 2030 in the near future?

We won't be offering one any time soon, but that's exactly what Leffot had and i'm assuming they will restock at some point.

This is what I've always thought Boondockers were; Though Leffot was recently offering a Viberg "Boondocker" with Icy Mocha CXL I think, right?

Yeah, that's a confusing one. They basically ordered an Icy Mocha Service Boot w/ Boondocker specs. Not technically the Boondocker, but i can see why they called it that.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Given Guy's excellent clarification, I guess then I am not thinking of a Boondocker for the MTO we're suggesting.

Agreed!

Service boot on 2030
Smoke grey Kudu
All gunmetal eyelets
Natural midsole or black with tonal stitching
Double leather sole

MiamiLex

Reaction score
Agreed!

Service boot on 2030
Smoke grey Kudu
All gunmetal eyelets
Natural midsole or black with tonal stitching
Double leather sole
I think I would be in for this for my first Viberg purchase. Would prefer a dainite sole or something that could hold up a little better to the elements.

I'm not sure I'm down with the "rough out" boots though; little too much like suede for my liking unless someone can convince me otherwise.

pistolero

Reaction score
Excited about the Boondocker restock. Is sizing on the 2045 last similar to 2030 (ie, order same size as Alden Barrie/Trubalance) ?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1, but I am only in with the natural midsole. Double leather or dainite sole.

We'll have to diverge on this one. I want a "dark" boot, which would dictate a dark welt, dark midsole and tone on tone stitching everywhere. Prefer double leather sole but would go with dainite. Not sure if they'd even make something like that. I guess I want a Guidi or carpe dieme version of a Viberg service boot.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur