• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always thought of buying a viberg. i am a big fan of their 2030 last. i think it is one of the best aesthetically.

I have not bought it because of the many comments and reviews of people who have owned it.

Most people find it a bit over priced & their quality control (leather & built) not at par with something at that price range.

schweezly

Reaction score
I know this is the millionth time the 2030 sizing has been brought up, and I’ve searched a lot. Is the general consensus that they’re like an E width Barrie? I’m hoping to grab a pair of boots soon

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is the millionth time the 2030 sizing has been brought up, and I’ve searched a lot. Is the general consensus that they’re like an E width Barrie? I’m hoping to grab a pair of boots soon

It is a E width on the US scale.. I have done quite a lot of research on the sizing of vibergs.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always thought of buying a viberg. i am a big fan of their 2030 last. i think it is one of the best aesthetically.

I have not bought it because of the many comments and reviews of people who have owned it.

Most people find it a bit over priced & their quality control (leather & built) not at par with something at that price range.
Buy a pair, they are really well made and I believe they are worth the full price (rare shell I do not). In general, I would say most comments are exceptionally positive and most people never buy just one. A great deal of this back and forth is minutiae over incremental value. This crap that I keep reading on reddit with people picking apart the "wonky stitching" and poor quality control are to put it lightly, a neurosis. Just find a last that fits well and go for it. There are so many on eBay from the sample sale and slightly used ones, you should be able to get something nice for under $500 and some lower than $400. I just sold a couple of boots that were around that level.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a pair, they are really well made and I believe they are worth the full price (rare shell I do not). In general, I would say most comments are exceptionally positive and most people never buy just one. A great deal of this back and forth is minutiae over incremental value. This crap that I keep reading on reddit with people picking apart the "wonky stitching" and poor quality control are to put it lightly, a neurosis. Just find a last that fits well and go for it. There are so many on eBay from the sample sale and slightly used ones, you should be able to get something nice for under $500 and some lower than $400. I just sold a couple of boots that were around that level.

Thanks for the advice. one of these days i think i will pull the trigger. I am thinking of the Himel collaboration. i know from a fact that Dave Himel is obsessed with quality. So the leather selection and construction will be better.

I agree with u that its just that people fuss that the finishing that is not on point with vibergs most of the time.

i dont doubt the durability of the boot at all. everyone praises their durability.

I dont like to buy 2nd hand shoes/boots because of various reason that have been discussed on other threads.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. one of these days i think i will pull the trigger. I am thinking of the Himel collaboration. i know from a fact that Dave Himel is obsessed with quality. So the leather selection and construction will be better.
Just a headsup - the latest Himel Boot is no longer available unless you can find someone who changed their mind.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Wait a minute – are we absolutely sure EG, G&G, C&J, etc. are actually as good as or better quality than Viberg?

Don't want to take this thread down the path of many others arguing into the ground about what "quality" means exactly, but my impression is that, while Viberg's cosmetic QC can here and there leave something to be desired, in terms of materials and internal build quality – i.e., what you CAN'T see – Vibergs are built like tanks, and with truly honest materials/methods. That's AT BEST up for debate with the other brands you mention.

Agreed.

Even at 800 USD, there is a sea of possibilities .. including EG or GG at seasonal discounts and a host of CJ makeups .. all my CJ shell makeups are at this price point. I very well understand the need to pay your work force and experiment with materials but with most of their non-shell makeups suffering a 50% depreciation in preowned market, I would say that if spending 800, I would wait, and get shell.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2030 is one of my favorite lasts .. right alongside 72 and 82 lasts from EG. Casual, Classy, Comfortable, Versatile.

All boot lovers need a pair.

Most arguments back and forth come from folks like us who have multiple pairs, complain but still buy more.

Most of my initial pairs were bought at seasonal sales and were under 500 .. killer deals at that price IMO. For 600 and under, Viberg has no competition.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute – are we absolutely sure EG, G&G, C&J, etc. are actually as good as or better quality than Viberg?

Don't want to take this thread down the path of many others arguing into the ground about what "quality" means exactly, but my impression is that, while Viberg's cosmetic QC can here and there leave something to be desired, in terms of materials and internal build quality – i.e., what you CAN'T see – Vibergs are built like tanks, and with truly honest materials/methods. That's AT BEST up for debate with the other brands you mention.

I am not carrying the argument further I fear.

Cheers ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads