• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gte872h

Reaction score
not that I have any interest in the shoe but I like the topy - I mean if it is a slipper who wants to slide around your wood floors and kitchen tile...but again I have no idea what the purpose of those slippers are anyway.

Do you wear them like regular slippers? or are they meant to be worn out?

I agree, why bother adding the Topy? Honestly would have been much better if they just kept it simple.

Do people really walk around their house in hard leather soled slippers? What am I missing here?
Just a personal preference for me since I prefer leather outsoles. Of course these are made for wearing outside.

For me, having a topy on your shoes is like leaving the protective plastic on a new cell phone. I could use a dirtier analogy, but I think you'll understand what I mean. Shoes are meant to be worn.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I put a protective case on my cel phone and a glass shield on the screen and my phone has not gotten and STD or pregnant..

I get that some people hate Toppy's - I find they do have a place though.

Last edited:

gte872h

Reaction score

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I have a basically brand new pair of the 2030 derby boot in moss horse hide size 11 for sale at a good price. :)

How come you are selling the moss derbies? Sizing issues? Not my size or anything, just curious. The moss color looks great!

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly they're amazing boots. I think the 2030 just isn't for my feet. Which is a shame because the last shape is so damn nice looking and this boot in particular is maybe my favorite boot produced. The clean lines of the derby boot is so slick and no doubt these beasts are going to look even better over time.

od1017

Reaction score
Just a personal preference for me since I prefer leather outsoles. Of course these are made for wearing outside.

For me, having a topy on your shoes is like leaving the protective plastic on a new cell phone. I could use a dirtier analogy, but I think you'll understand what I mean. Shoes are meant to be worn.

Absolutely agree. The only place for Topys is if you wanted to make shoes more rain proof. I don't think that applies to the slippers. Wear service boots if it's raining!

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather soles look good but are trash.

Want to walk any amount of distance (comfort/durability)? Trash.

Traction on most walking surfaces? Trash.

Any sort of moisture? Trash.

If the most your shoes contact is your car pedals and office carpet, then yeah, don't put a topy. Or if you like to replace your soles often to show how much you like to throw away money, don't use a topy.

And don't even get me started about that bullshit on how leather soles "breathe better"

For me, having a topy on your shoes is like leaving the protective plastic on a new cell phone.  I could use a dirtier analogy, but I think you'll understand what I mean.  Shoes are meant to be worn. 

No... it'd be like buying a case for your stupid expensive phone. There are pretty much zero benefits to leather soles outside of aesthetics. Topies more or less keep that aesthetic but improve durability and comfort.

gte872h

Reaction score

If the most your shoes contact is your car pedals and office carpet, then yeah, don't put a topy. Or if you like to replace your soles often to show how much you like to throw away money, don't use a topy.

And don't even get me started about that bullshit on how leather soles "breathe better"
No... it'd be like buying a case for your stupid expensive phone. There are pretty much zero benefits to leather soles outside of aesthetics. Topies more or less keep that aesthetic but improve durability and comfort.

Not all leather soles are trash. Viberg's oak tanned leather soles are tough as nails. Have any experience with them?

My most comfortable boots are by far ones that have a double leather sole. I wear them especially if I'm walking long distances.

Everyone's different though and as I said earlier it's a personal preference issue. I don't have to deal with much rain where I live, so I understand the issue for those in other climates.

The slippers aren't made for hard wear. It would be pretty ridiculous to put the corded rubber soles on the slippers, right? That's because it would be complete overkill and they wouldn't be comfortable either. The balance between comfort and durability isn't the same for everyone. The topy makes the slippers less comfortable for me, which is my primary concern because they are "slippers" and not hiking boots.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And don't even get me started about that bullshit on how leather soles "breathe bette

I disagree.

I find them very comfortable, I've never slipped in them, and they wear just fine rain or shine.

I do not like toppys particularly since something like 80% of them are poorly executed.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I too am one that does not slip in leather soled shoes or boots. That being said I have shoes that get worn for a lot of mixed use that require me to go from outdoors to indoors a lot..which deal with marble or highly polished that when a little wet are my enemy..I tend to toppy those....bars especially ones with dance floors you have to traverse are typical example

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ebay score at a price I couldn't pass up... 3sixteen roughout boots with mini-ripple sole. I've long wanted a pair of roughouts to beat up.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads