• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

xander_horst

Reaction score
Thanks Johnny! Any shots from above while one boot on each foot? Sorry for giving you requests but I think that it'd help more than just me.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hope this helps make things more clear. Alden Color 8 Indy Boots size 8.5D on the trubalance last matched up to the Mahogany Shell Service Boots size 8.5D on the 2030 last:

Thanks Johnny! Any shots from above while one boot on each foot? Sorry for giving you requests but I think that it'd help more than just me.

Thanks! And the above shot would be great if its not too much of a hassle

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
you guys are making this much harder then it needs to be. email [email protected]. i sent him my foot tracings, he printed them out and sized me off a 2030 last. done.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
you guys are making this much harder then it needs to be. email [email protected]. i sent him my foot tracings, he printed them out and sized me off a 2030 last. done.
I did this and received a size for the 2030 last that was one size down from my Barrie and Trubalance size (and was told it was a UK size, as well), but now this picture makes me think that's not an accurate size for me.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foot tracing doesn't accommodate for instep, girth and ankle fit area. Pictures show a bit more.

And every time I've sent in foot tracing I've gotten a huge range of sizes. Insole / outsole measurements are iffy too. Pictures have always worked

rex555

Reaction score
Yeah I'm skeptical with foot tracings as well. Sent one in and was told size 8. I' m clearly not size 8 which I have subsequently been been able to verify by trying on different size Veberg boots.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm skeptical with foot tracings as well. Sent one in and was told size 8. I' m clearly not size 8 which I have subsequently been been able to verify by trying on different size Veberg boots.

Yes, there is no substitute for trying on...

guyferguson

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
The UK / US thing is admittedly very confusing. Our boots fit large, like most work boots do, but the lasts are made in USA and we are a Canadian company, so to say that they are UK sizes isn't exactly true. It was before my involvement with the company, but at some point our work boots were listed as UK in an effort to help people adjust for how large they are. In general our true industrial boots do feel larger than our casual offerings because of the lasts and structured (often steel) toe boxes. It's really just a matter of semantics. What's the difference between UK or a large fitting US last? Nobody calls Red Wing or Alden UK, but for most customers our boots fit the same. The real problem with this comparison is when people think they have to go another size down from an American boot brand because we're supposedly "UK". If i did that i wouldn't even be able to get my foot into the shoe.

I don't know if i'm just lucky or what, but the sizing has always been pretty straightforward for me. I measure about a 12 on the Brannock. I like my shoes to fit snug. I wear a 12 in Nike and most athletic shoes. I wear a 44 in Common Projects, W+H, and everything else on that sole. I wear an 11 in Red Wing, Clarks Desert Boots, Chucks and some Aldens i've tried on. I'm a spot on 11 in the 110 and would be fine with that size in pretty much any of our lasts. On the 2030 i prefer a 10.5 because my foot is narrow enough (not THAT narrow) to fill the last out and i actually like how it hugs my foot. I'm convinced that most people talking about how narrow the 2030 last is are actually more bothered by how shallow the toe box is. I can't think of another brand that offers such a pancaked last, with an unstructured toe and such heavy leather. It's a unique combination and it's probably not something you will have felt before when trying on a boot.

I wish the tracings were fool proof, but there is human error on the customer's side and ours. Many of the tracings we get are done so poorly they actually do more bad than good. Ideally we'd have a good tracing, as many comparisons to other brands as possible, your preference for how a boot should fit, etc. Even with all that information there is no substitution for trying on multiple sizes in person. The difference is literally millimetres between half sizes.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The UK / US thing is admittedly very confusing. Our boots fit large, like most work boots do, but the lasts are made in USA and we are a Canadian company, so to say that they are UK sizes isn't exactly true. It was before my involvement with the company, but at some point our work boots were listed as UK in an effort to help people adjust for how large they are. In general our true industrial boots do feel larger than our casual offerings because of the lasts and structured (often steel) toe boxes. It's really just a matter of semantics. What's the difference between UK or a large fitting US last? Nobody calls Red Wing or Alden UK, but for most customers our boots fit the same. The real problem with this comparison is when people think they have to go another size down from an American boot brand because we're supposedly "UK". If i did that i wouldn't even be able to get my foot into the shoe.

I don't know if i'm just lucky or what, but the sizing has always been pretty straightforward for me. I measure about a 12 on the Brannock. I like my shoes to fit snug. I wear a 12 in Nike and most athletic shoes. I wear a 44 in Common Projects, W+H, and everything else on that sole. I wear an 11 in Red Wing, Clarks Desert Boots, Chucks and some Aldens i've tried on. I'm a spot on 11 in the 110 and would be fine with that size in pretty much any of our lasts. On the 2030 i prefer a 10.5 because my foot is narrow enough (not THAT narrow) to fill the last out and i actually like how it hugs my foot. I'm convinced that most people talking about how narrow the 2030 last is are actually more bothered by how shallow the toe box is. I can't think of another brand that offers such a pancaked last, with an unstructured toe and such heavy leather. It's a unique combination and it's probably not something you will have felt before when trying on a boot.

I wish the tracings were fool proof, but there is human error on the customer's side and ours. Many of the tracings we get are done so poorly they actually do more bad than good. Ideally we'd have a good tracing, as many comparisons to other brands as possible, your preference for how a boot should fit, etc. Even with all that information there is no substitution for trying on multiple sizes in person. The difference is literally millimetres between half sizes.

Thanks for sharing this info, Guy.

For anyone wanting to try something on, here is a link to Barney's selection of Viberg boots:

http://www.barneys.com/on/demandwar...efn1=designer&prefv1=Viberg&pagetype=designer

Looks like they have a bunch of sizes available. I don't usually advocate the "purchase to try on" approach, but I think it may be helpful to those who are that serious about doing a MTO boot/shoe or ordering something from Viberg's web shop.

xander_horst

Reaction score
I realize this incessant sizing runaround stuff gets annoying but I gotta ask anyway -

So if I put in an order for a 9.5UK boot thru StyleForumMarketplace then want to try on the equivalent boot from Barneys I'd order the boot they have listed as "10.5 Medium US (43.5 EU 9.5 UK)" OR "9.5 Medium US (42.5 EU 8.5 UK)"?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I realize this incessant sizing runaround stuff gets annoying but I gotta ask anyway -

So if I put in an order for a 9.5UK boot thru StyleForumMarketplace then want to try on the equivalent boot from Barneys I'd order the boot they have listed as "10.5 Medium US (43.5 EU 9.5 UK)" OR "9.5 Medium US (42.5 EU 8.5 UK)"?

Seriously, order them both. I find that Barneys has the worst (i.e. inconsistent) sizing protocols of all time. It's essentially a toss up. When you get the boots, look at the Viberg sizing, and go according to that.

Cheers,

Fok.

Arizor

Reaction score
Seconding Fok's advice, Barneys are really confusing the issue. Order both, figure out your size, send back.

Arizor

Reaction score
Christ, I only just clicked the link! Barneys are charging a hefty premium for Viberg…!

Still, unless something goes horribly wrong you'll be getting your money back no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads