• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry can someone possibly explain what people mean when they refer to the new mocha 2030 having a "flat welt"?

Viberg is known for their stitchdown construction of the Vamp to the midsole they have now introduced Good Year Welting which uses a "welt" in either flat or split(often called storm welt) here are pictures below

in this pic the bull hide is stitched to the midsole and runs just under halfway back from the front of the boot...2 rows of stitching also

On this boot the leather is "welted" with a flat welt - no leather from the upper being exposed

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer SD over GYW purely on aesthetics. I believe it's the combination of double row stitching with a slightly lower profile that does it for me. The flat welt looks a bit plain to me. Maybe add some wheeling on the welt if they want it more dressy.

gte872h

Reaction score
Glad to hear it and I was not being critical at all of the craftsmanship...their flat welt is as good as I have seen.

You don't find any difference in the look of your uppers or fit?

I do notice the differences between GYW and stitchdown. Stitchdown does seem sleeker in the toe/vamp region. I honestly prefer stitchdown, but I'll still be open to GYW if the leather and makeup is something special to me.

As far as fit, the pattern and leathers used seem to make a bigger difference to me. My Mahogany boots feel the tightest, due to the lack of stretch in shell. My other GYW is a scout pattern, which feels a little looser than the service boot pattern. None of my boots feel like my sizing would be any different other than the 110 last which I take 1/2 size down from the 2030.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are the majority of new Vibergs going to be GYW? I thought it was an occasional thing that Brett was trying out.

I'm noticing a pattern ;)

I think when the last 4 or 5 non shell 2030s on gyw are virtually unsold they may start noticing a pattern as well.

jlchau

Reaction score
I prefer SD over GYW purely on aesthetics. I believe it's the combination of double row stitching with a slightly lower profile that does it for me. The flat welt looks a bit plain to me. Maybe add some wheeling on the welt if they want it more dressy.

I also like how the leather of the toe/vamp area on stitchdown goes straight down into the midsole/welt, where the GYW versions almost curl under and look tucked in.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I know less than zero about their margins, products etc.or thought process...and I clearly can not do monetary conversions between Canada and the USA :) ..seems that GYW gives them a way to deliver 3 to 5 styles in a complete run to a vendor at one time...making that a really nice billable for Viberg. Multiply that by several vendors...especially new vendors that most likely do not want to start promoting a company like Viberg based on receiving a single boot run however for 3-5 it is worth it.

Hopefully as they build up the the revenue stream from new and current vendors with GYW that will allow them to focus on using.com to showcase some really cool leathers, different lasts, new designs and more stitchdown. There will be a whole new segment of buyers who only know Viberg as a GYW boot makers and eventually will make their way to .com and learn about the stitchdown models.

ShootThePier

Reaction score

I know less than zero about their margins, products etc.or thought process...and I clearly can not do monetary conversions between Canada and the USA :)   ..seems that GYW gives them a way to deliver 3 to 5 styles in a complete run to a vendor at one time...making that a really nice billable for Viberg. Multiply that by several vendors...especially new vendors that most likely do not want to start promoting a company like Viberg  based on receiving a single boot run however for 3-5 it is worth it.

Hopefully as they build up the the revenue stream from new and current vendors with GYW that will allow them to focus on using.com to showcase some really cool leathers, different lasts, new designs and more stitchdown. There will be a whole new segment of buyers who only know Viberg as a GYW boot makers and eventually will make their way to .com and learn about the stitchdown models.

I'm not a cobbler, but I'm under the impression they can make more boots per day with less or equal labor and material with the GYW, therefor more profitable for .com sales and able to offer lower prices to the sellers that move big volume. But if .com, and small stockist sales decline, they may have to make the decision to do less GYW.

gsgleason

Reaction score

Just got my mahogany shell, a bit delay but better than never
1f604.png
. VB troops were amazing supports especially Drew, great guy!

Still 2 days of breaking in and start to see creases and patina which I hope it will turn nicely with age.

BC7BCC88-887C-4626-B06C-5D8C83C99AEE_zpsacwvots3.jpg

This is different than the recent run. Where did these come from?

gsgleason

Reaction score
Are the majority of new Vibergs going to be GYW? I thought it was an occasional thing that Brett was trying out.

I'm noticing a pattern ;)

I think when the last 4 or 5 non shell 2030s on gyw are virtually unsold they may start noticing a pattern as well.

Indeed. It's a faster, cheaper construction method, and less sound. It's weird. On one hand he wants to hold on to his artistic vision, but on the other he wants to make the production line cheaper and faster.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt