• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviv

Reaction score
If someone doesn't like how the gyw looks, that's fine. Aesthetic preference. Can anyone here point to evidence suggesting Viberg's gyw is inferior? Plenty of gyw shoes and boots cost plenty more than Viberg. I just don't get this debate. If you don't like gyw, then wait for a stitch down make up (of which there are several at places like Notre) or maybe just buy something else?

I agree that it's unfortunate certain .com offerings seem to have gone over to gyw- I don't understand why CXL standards are gyw when the argument was that the dressier leathers were tearing during stitch down. Perhaps it was just an experiment and they won't make anymore Cxl makeups until some of the gyw ones sell.

Chop Chop

Reaction score
That's all fine and dandy. They're going to be sitting on those for a long time. Viberg is still the **** regardless. They make fantastic boots.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't like gyw, then wait for a stitch down make up (of which there are several at places like Notre) or maybe just buy something else?
I think that is the point, most of us are waiting assuming that at some point it will happen and if it doesnt much the same way I stopped buying alot of Alden offerings when I found myself preferring Viberg, Ill move on to something else.

dekalog

Reaction score

this may be my first gyw buy just because of this pic. The leather looks great & match the sole!

Last edited:

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree.   I've always thought that the 2030 looked two narrow.   I have one pair that is fat across the waist and narrows to quickly.  The 110 is more balanced and should get much more circulation, but it is clear that Viberg won't be making it.   It's up to the handful of dwindling stocklists that still carry110s. 

Fashion trend is a cycle__ what's old becomes new again ... sometimes w/ just a slight twist, @times a whole image redo.

Graemsay

Reaction score
I tend to walk a lot, and it's hard to find shoes in my enormous size (14 US), so I put a lot of miles on the pairs that I have.

I'll wear through a sole first, and the lining, particularly in the heel. I don't think that I've ever busted the welt on a shoe. So the difference in durability between Goodyear welt and stitch down is probably more of a theoretical than practical consideration.

If you wear your Vibergs when out hiking, logging, or engaged in other rugged and manly pursuits then it might be a different matter.
biggrin.gif

If it's an aesthetic choice then that's fine. And if sales taper off because most buyers prefer stitch down then you can bet that Viberg would go back to that.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tend to walk a lot, and it's hard to find shoes in my enormous size (14 US), so I put a lot of miles on the pairs that I have.

I'll wear through a sole first, and the lining, particularly in the heel. I don't think that I've ever busted the welt on a shoe. So the difference in durability between Goodyear welt and stitch down is probably more of a theoretical than practical consideration.

If you wear your Vibergs when out hiking, logging, or engaged in other rugged and manly pursuits then it might be a different matter. :D

If it's an aesthetic choice then that's fine. And if sales taper off because most buyers prefer stitch down then you can bet that Viberg would go back to that.

For me it is 100% aesthetic...when they do something gyw with a cool leather that is not a 2030 and dainite soled...then I would buy it if I liked it.

vettemike

Reaction score
A discussion of which construction method you prefer is fine. But be careful with all the harsh criticism of what Viberg is doing and why. I'm sure Brett reads these comments. He may take them into account when developing new product. But he may also get annoying with all the negativity surrounding his namesake company. So don't be shocked if Viberg suddenly decides to cancel the Styleforum GTMO program because he feels there's no gratitude here. Don't ruin it for everyone else with these nit-picking complaints. Just my two cents

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A discussion of which construction method you prefer is fine. But be careful with all the harsh criticism of what Viberg is doing and why. I'm sure Brett reads these comments. He may take them into account when developing new product. But he may also get annoying with all the negativity surrounding his namesake company. So don't be shocked if Viberg suddenly decides to cancel the Styleforum GTMO program because he feels there's no gratitude here. Don't ruin it for everyone else with these nit-picking complaints. Just my two cents

Well if that is the case...then so be it. And I agree that may very well happen. However there are companies that would pay and do pay HUGE dollars to get the kind of feedback we are offering for free. Hell LEGO which is a brand slightly bigger than Viberg just paid my 8 year old $150 to go play with their sets and give feedback and then gave him $100 worth of LEGO sets to take home..

So if anything Brett owes us a free set of boots...
biggrin.gif

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vette,

Most of the discussion here has been what I would term constructive feedback. The majority of us have been enthusiastic customers of the company, and what would be termed brand ambassadors. Not all feedback and discussion could or should be pure unadulterated love for a brand, otherwise it isnt feedback and certainly not honest discussion. I think history has proven that politicians, dictators and corporations that surround themselves with yes men, usually collapse in short order.

I do not know if you have noticed but the GMTO program looks tentative at best, and has nothing to do with the most recent conversation, if anything part of the conversation has come about because of lots of changes at the company. And quite frankly if a company decides to be vindictive in that manner based on comments from loyal customers, as @Kahuna75 said, so be it, that would tell me all I need to know. To be clear I would not put those words in their mouth, and do not think they would behave that way based on comments on an internet message board.

This is a discussion board, and the suggestion of censorship for a GMTO sounds alot like payola, only nobody is getting paid.

vettemike

Reaction score
I'm not saying this forum needs to be love fest. And I'm not trying to lump every poster into the same basket of those who seem hypercritical of Viberg. I agree that constructive criticism can be helpful to the brand. But the GTMO program is done as a courtesy to forum members. Viberg isn't making a ton of money by making a small number of custom boots for the members on this forum. I realize that the program is already in doubt. But the hyper negative comments won't help. And to suggest that Viberg somehow owes you anything is profoundly arrogant. You should be grateful there is a company like this that is so responsive to its loyal customers

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the big kahuna's comments were made in jest and not out of arrogance. don't take it so seriously. we are talking about boots.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying this forum needs to be love fest. And I'm not trying to lump every poster into the same basket of those who seem hypercritical of Viberg. I agree that constructive criticism can be helpful to the brand. But the GTMO program is done as a courtesy to forum members. Viberg isn't making a ton of money by making a small number of custom boots for the members on this forum. I realize that the program is already in doubt. But the hyper negative comments won't help. And to suggest that Viberg somehow owes you anything is profoundly arrogant. You should be grateful there is a company like this that is so responsive to its loyal customers

i think the big kahuna's comments were made in jest and not out of arrogance. don't take it so seriously. we are talking about boots.

Yes it was in jest...I thought clearly...and @vettemike when Viberg cures heart disease and cancer then I will be "grateful", as of now the fact that I spend between $800-$1200 for their boots says enough....But hey maybe they will go all Elon Musk and start cancelling orders for $135K cars cause a blogger was mean. We all love Berg's here...I think that much is clear.

J One

Reaction score
I disagree with your statement above, the company is strategically releasing MTO's with most of their resale stores to keep those make up combinations of last, uppers and sole unique but more important to keep people engaged with their brand and eager to jump at an MTO and pay $800 for CXL on any of its variations. The reality is that CXL is not an expensive leather and there is no shortage of it. Allen Edmonds uses CXL and their shoes hover around $300 and they make profits, granted not the same quality but $500 dollars better HUMM????. My point here is with the stitch down construction they have a desired (fan based) product and an even better business strategy but if they steer away from that, who knows? Also, they are not the only folks who use the stitch down process best example is Truman Boots Co., same leathers stitch down process at around $500.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexalynanmeldelserno1