1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Versatile dress watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PHV, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ernest

ernest Senior member

With "IF", you would be nice looking, smart, rich and loved, wouldn't you?

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ May 18 2005,20:46) Ernest, the word is MANLY, not manely. Manes are what lions have. So, if you reread what I wrote, you might understand (then again...) Jon. (at least I'm man enough to hold down a job and not mooch off the state)
    I dont know what is a mane so i dont' need to reread. In case you didn't catch, English is not my language so if you wanna try to be smart, better find valid arguments instead of plays on words... Because women have no job and/or can not hol their job? The way you stick to your job to try to show you might worth something is simply pathetic. What would you become if you lose your job for any reason? What would you worth once you will be retired? So seem so proud of your job that you must be at least CEO of large company, an important politician or a movie star loved by millions of people...
    Ernest, your stubbornness prevents your from rereading what a "˜mane' is, this I understand. I know English is not your first language, but I hinted at the omission several times and you did not pick up, should I be blamed because you cannot pick up on hints? Obvious notions are obvious notions, language notwithstanding. Who mentioned women? (Unless you think that women cannot be manly or manely, in which case I could find a have a few bull dykes I introduce you to) Pathetic would be not being able to live on your own merits, and then making fun of other people who do so. Even your own countrywoman who posts on this forum works, is she pathetic as well for doing so? So it is NOT pathetic to be act like a leach? If I lost my job I would A) get another one B) don't get another one, take the whole summer off, go to Argentina for a month (instead of 2 weeks) and Europe for another and go back to school in the fall. Either way, I find ways to keep busy. What do you do? Shop all day? Are you the men's version of the Manhattan "˜ladies who lunch'? What will I be worth? I have no clue; can you see 40 years into the future? I know one thing, keeping aside whatever I inherit; I will be worth more than you. And I don't mean merely in just financial terms (which for someone with no job, you seem to place into high regard). Must you be the CEO of a company to be proud of one's job? Not at all. Ernest, please do not tell me you do not have a job because no one would hire you as a CEO... (You consider "˜movie stars' to have important jobs? I guess your understanding of "˜important job' is different than mine; an important job to me would be an ER doctor, a social worker, a teacher, etc...) Jon.

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

Do you think i read all your messages in detail and that as soon as i don't catch a word i look up in a dictionary? Now I understand what is "mane" and so my mistake with "manely". And then? What does it change to the fact you are not capable to say what a manly watch is ?????
    I don't look up for details in non interesting messages with people who stick to details of language instead of giving arguments when i asked them something.
    I don't make fun of people who work but = -  of people who work in stupid, bad paid and non interesting job and who think they worth something more than me because they work, - of people whose argument in a dialogue, as soon as they can not reply on the topic, is to  repeat stupidly that I don't work. Why even? What does it change if she is French or not ?
    You do worse than mentioning women as you suppose that work = manliness So women working are manly and men not working are not manly...
    Because when you lose your job, you necessary lose it at the begining of summer, as it is well known. Going back to school is a good idea as you don't seem to have studied so much. May be because you prefered working to BE A MANLY MAN ? To keep busy? Why do you need so much to be non stop busy? To stop thinking about your fears? So working is not so important at the end as your seem to prefer traveling and studying... What do i do? As you can notice, i talk to people who are stupid enough to spend the few free time they have on a forum. Thanks to these people I Â fill out my 16 hours of leisure (per day) and improve my English for free (as i know what is a mane now.).
    In 40 years? So you are still a teenager? I understand now... Why do you compete with me? Why am i so important in your life? Â Weird because i don't care about your job, your life or what you may worth. I just wanna you to explain me WHAT IS A MANLY WATCH (as the Hampton is not a manly watch ans the Tank is)
    Obviously you are glued in a puritan way of thinking in which you live only to work like a slave or help people to see god. I don't think the aim of life is to work nor to help people and that the importance of a job is connected to these 2 things. I think  the death of a "movie star" will make more miserable people than your own death, that a "movie star" has more influence on people than you and gives much more happiness to people than you will ever do. Afterwards, you can think beeing a "movie star" is not an important job... I guess to be proud of something, you need to do something that most of people can not do... unless you are proud of anything you do, even of making a knot on your tie. P.S. I don't understand = hint, notwithstanding, leach, dykes... So please do not make any stupid games with these words if i didn't HINT something.

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

(Thracozaag @ May 17 2005,10:13) His density is unparalled; perhaps only equalled by searching at the bottom of a period element chart. koji
    Brown is for FARMER Crocodile is for Gangster "Manely" watch is for Lion Jon.
    Very smart ..... Is something supposed to be funny because of an added E in a word (which doesn't mean anything) ? Better tell me what is a manly watch instead of hiding your lack of argument behind a spelling mistake...

5. Roy

Roy Senior member

The Audemars Piguet Royal Oak is pretty manly.

6. ernest

ernest Senior member

Kid (if i am a boy, you are a kid), you are 23 and you have worked several YEARS in watch industry?

I am impressed...

Do you think having been an "unskilled worker" in industry makes you an expert in watches? Not in the art of debating obviously...

7. ernest

ernest Senior member

Why ?

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Originally Posted by Roy,May 19 2005,00:46
    The Audemars Piguet Royal Oak is pretty manly.
    Why ?
    This is why: [​IMG] Jon.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Okay, this is getting heated. Please keep it civil (and I am using the term in the broadest of senses here.) Roy, thanks for trying to keep this thread on topic. Please move all discussions of Hedonism, religion, the Humanae Vitae encyclical, whatever, to a dedicated thread in the General Discussion forum, or to PM. Please also leave all PM as such.

Thanks. (LAG as moderator, not as participant here.)

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Observations:

You have never read anything else I have ever posted on this forum, or cannot recall any of it, because:

A) I already am in school
    B) I have applied what I have learned in school
    C) I have already stated that someone who works doing something which they are pleased with are content with (something which you cannot understand)

As well:

"What does it change to the fact you are not capable to say what a manly watch is ?????"

I have already stated my reasons, you just cannot seem to understand them, please go back and reread what I stated originally, if I must carry you by the hand regarding everything I post, then you must seriously reevaluate calling me stupid; perhaps a good long look in the mirror would help you.

"I don't look up for details in non interesting messages with people who stick to details of language instead of giving arguments when i asked them something."

I have no idea what you mean by that, please elaborate.

"I don't make fun of people who work but =

- of people who work in stupid, bad paid and non interesting job and who think they worth something more than me because they work,

- of people whose argument in a dialogue, as soon as they can not reply on the topic, is to repeat stupidly that I don't work.

Why even? What does it change if she is French or not ?"

It doesn't change if she is French or not, but since you are too obtuse regarding examples that stray from your world of understanding, I was using an example common to us both, if I had written it any more obviously it would have been written in red crayon with a backwards "˜R'.

"˜Interesting job' is a subjective term, shall I explain subjective?

People who work are on a personally professional level worth more than you, yes. My repeating that you don't work is not a stupid concept, arguing that your "˜positive lifestyle' of prostituting thyself to the French state for a free handout would be considered more so.

"You do worse than mentioning women as you suppose that work = manliness

So women working are manly and men not working are not manly..."

Dude, I said bull dykes. Who said anything about work?

"Because when you lose your job, you necessary lose it at the begining of summer, as it is well known."

I have no idea what kind of jobs you have had (don't bother telling me, I don't WANT to know)

"Going back to school is a good idea as you don't seem to have studied so much."

Please read the top of this post.

"To keep busy? Why do you need so much to be non stop busy? To stop thinking about your fears?"

Ernest, I thought you didn't work...why are you trying to act like a psychoanalyst?

"So working is not so important at the end as your seem to prefer traveling and studying..."

I didn't say that, again, reread what I posted.

"What do i do? As you can notice, i talk to people who are stupid enough to spend the few free time they have on a forum. Thanks to these people I fill out my 16 hours of leisure (per day) and improve my English for free (as i know what is a mane now.)."

So, you have no life, is what you're telling me. You don't study, you don't work, and you have a phobia of traveling, so you don't travel; exciting life...yet amazingly you make fun of mine, I guess ignorance truly is bliss.

16 hours of leisure time? God good, its one thing to be in real financial of welfare, but to take advantage of it to spend your life glued to the computer to put fourth farcical and incomprehensible arguments is just sad. Alas, it took you 2 days to learn one word in English; well I was going to recommend for you to go back to school, but I think you might be too slow.

"Why do you compete with me? Why am i so important in your life? Weird because I don't care about your job, your life or what you may worth."

Again, you cannot argue with me about "˜worth' if you don't have any. You don't procure income, so you have no financial worth, you don't really do anything so you have no life. And yet you argue about worth. Huh.

"Obviously you are glued in a puritan way of thinking in which you live only to work like a slave or help people to see god."

No, you are right (this is sarcasm {I must explain, since I know you won't understand}, BTW), its better to live off the state system because you are too lazy and inept to work.

"I don't think the aim of life is to work nor to help people and that the importance of a job is connected to these 2 things."

How would you know? You don't work.

"I think the death of a "movie star" will make more miserable people than your own death, that a "movie star" has more influence on people than you and gives much more happiness to people than you will ever do."

Same goes with your death, so your point is?

"I guess to be proud of something, you need to do something that most of people can not do... unless you are proud of anything you do, even of making a knot on your tie."

But, you do nothing...you are proud of doing nothing? Being a rock with moss growing on it is something to be proud of?

In conclusion: stop sucking the lifeblood out of France by being lazy and go do something positive with your life (harassing the salesclerks at H&K Paris and purchasing Dunhill cashmere items on sale do NOT count).

Jon.

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

I understand that for teenagers, school is all their life but why do you talk about school ? Please, impress me, tell me your are the one who is allowed to sit near the radiator because you know all about watches and have nothing to be disappointed with about watches and maneliness.
    So now try with relevant reasons ( i mean more relevant than = "IMO it has been designed for women ")
    Wake up kid. The bell is ringing. You told this = (at least I'm man enough to hold down a job and not mooch off the state) So it seems that beeing a man is connected with the fact to work. Â So for you women can not hold down a job? And i expect a reply... Is it so complicated?
    So why telling she is French? Common? Because now you are French too?
    Why? Give me some exemples positive things? And telling rubbish on a forum, does it count? I am sure you think it does.
    Why should I be proud of anything? Yeaaah because i am a man and a man hold down a job and is proud of it. True men like you even lose their legs in a stupid war and are proud of it...all the more when their only fight is on a gamboy. Doing nothing? Â Because working is the only thing to to in life? Well, i don't do nothing as i post on this forum. I have no complex or weak self esteem (as you obviously have). I don't need to work to feel confortable in society. I don't feel like a shit because i don't take a crowded subway all morning to stay in an office full of stupids like you for 8 hours. As long as stupids like you need to work to exist and are afraid of what people will thing about them, I will have paid holidays (I make more money on dole than many stupids working). Once the dole will end, I will work. So you can stop saying every 2 phrases that i don't work. We all know this. If you like so much working, i don't understand why you are so much bothered by the fact i do not... You are happy, good for you. Don't oblige people to have the same way to be happy. You seem to be bery narrow minded. Even tyranical. Keep your own business. You should have enough to do with your own life (at least if you were doing something of it). Imagine if you were not working. Nobody would talk to you kid. Your life would be over. You are right, work. Spend your time cleaning watches. You will be happy. And the most important = do not cross the line. Do everything as society tells you to do, you will have a house, a car and a TV. So you will be happy and proud of your pick up when you do to Walmart. So stop talking about work, stupid . Please learn to quote, this is not so complicated and REPLY (as you never replied to these questions, i mean more than "it has been designed for women" as an argument. ) Questions = 1) what does make a watch "manly" (as it is neither the size nor the thickness nor the details) ? Reply more than posting a pic of someone. Use words. 2) why is the Hampton not "manely"? (taking apart you think it has been designed for women, I mean what is not manely in the watch). Reply more than "in my opinion" as this is not an argument. 3) why is the Tank more manly? Because it is called TANK? Reply more than : " i am a man as I hold down a job." 4) why wouldn't you buy a quartz watch of more than $1000? Reply something intelligent.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Listen, you bought a women's watch, just except it and move on...

You can't tell a man's watch from a woman's and you call me stupid?

Jon.

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

14. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

What is it about watch threads?

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

About what exactly? Jon.

16. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    You mean accept it?

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Originally Posted by imageWIS,May 19 2005,07:36
    Listen, you bought a women's watch, just except it and move on... You can't tell a man's watch from a woman's and you call me stupid? Jon.
    You mean accept it?
    Yes, I mean accept it. I should not write when I'm pissed off, nothing comes out write [​IMG] . Jon.

18. PHV

PHV Senior member

I have already stated my reasons, you just cannot seem to understand them, please go back and reread what I stated originally, if I must carry you by the hand regarding everything I post, then you must seriously reevaluate calling me stupid; perhaps a good long look in the mirror would help you.
    So now try with relevant reasons ( i mean more relevant than = "IMO it has been designed for women ")
    Wake up kid. The bell is ringing. You told this = (at least I'm man enough to hold down a job and not mooch off the state) So it seems that beeing a man is connected with the fact to work. Â So for you women can not hold down a job? And i expect a reply... Is it so complicated?
    So why telling she is French? Common? Because now you are French too?
    Why? Give me some exemples positive things? And telling rubbish on a forum, does it count? I am sure you think it does.
    Why should I be proud of anything? Yeaaah because i am a man and a man hold down a job and is proud of it. True men like you even lose their legs in a stupid war and are proud of it...all the more when their only fight is on a gamboy. Doing nothing? Â Because working is the only thing to to in life? Well, i don't do nothing as i post on this forum. I have no complex or weak self esteem (as you obviously have). I don't need to work to feel confortable in society. I don't feel like a shit because i don't take a crowded subway all morning to stay in an office full of stupids like you for 8 hours. As long as stupids like you need to work to exist and are afraid of what people will thing about them, I will have paid holidays (I make more money on dole than many stupids working). Once the dole will end, I will work. So you can stop saying every 2 phrases that i don't work. We all know this. If you like so much working, i don't understand why you are so much bothered by the fact i do not... You are happy, good for you. Don't oblige people to have the same way to be happy. You seem to be bery narrow minded. Even tyranical. Keep your own business. You should have enough to do with your own life (at least if you were doing something of it). Imagine if you were not working. Nobody would talk to you kid. Your life would be over. You are right, work. Spend your time cleaning watches. You will be happy. And the most important = do not cross the line. Do everything as society tells you to do, you will have a house, a car and a TV. So you will be happy and proud of your pick up when you do to Walmart. So stop talking about work, stupid . Please learn to quote, this is not so complicated and REPLY (as you never replied to these questions, i mean more than "it has been designed for women" as an argument. ) Questions = 1) what does make a watch "manly" (as it is neither the size nor the thickness nor the details) ? Reply more than posting a pic of someone. Use words. 2) why is the Hampton not "manely"? (taking apart you think it has been designed for women, I mean what is not manely in the watch). Reply more than "in my opinion" as this is not an argument. 3) why is the Tank more manly? Because it is called TANK? Reply more than : " i am a man as I hold down a job." 4) why wouldn't you buy a quartz watch of more than $1000? Reply something intelligent.
    Hi Ernest, I'm very glad that you are happy and don't have to deal with us "stupids" every day. Now, what do you think of the watches people have suggested here, regardless of whether they be manly or unmanly? If you had $3500 US to spend on a watch (and pretend you cannot get a discount), what would you buy if you wanted a Rectangular, tank, or tonneau style watch?

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

20. PHV

PHV Senior member

Can some of you comment on leather straps?

What is the typical durability of a strap from a good brand (Cartier, Ulysse Nardin, Girard Perregaux, B&M etc)? I've been put off by leather. Don't you ruin the leather by getting water on it when you wash your hands? A watch my dad loaned to me after a year had its strap deteriorate by me getting water on it from washing my hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.