1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Versatile dress watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PHV, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Whilst not getting a leather strap wet is a universal rule, the thickness in conjunction with the watches usage will determine its lifespan. As well, the look you are trying to convey will also be determined by the thickness of the strap.

A thicker strap is better for a watch that is worn everyday, whereas a thinner strap will probably last less; this is also dependent of the weather where you live and how much you sweat. But, at the same time a thinner strap is more elegant than a thicker one.

Material can also determine longevity. Certain exotic hides will not last as long as something more common, such as calf.

Jon.

2. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

One brand worth mentioning that hasn't shown up yet in this thread... Dubey & Schaldenbrand. Reworked and refinished ETA movements (mostly the 2892-A2), in nice, art deco style Tonneau cases. The Aerodyn fits your description perfectly. I actually like D&S a whole lot more than the Cartier Roadster--especially if you decide to go the pre-owned route.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Like the Aerodyn Elegance: [​IMG] Jon.

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

At least i can buy a watch for adult...

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

(jmswentworth @ May 19 2005,13:39)
    Listen, you bought a women's watch, just except it and move on... You can't tell a man's watch from a woman's and you call me stupid? Jon.
    You mean accept it?
    Yes, I mean accept it. I should not write when I'm pissed off, nothing comes out write [​IMG] . Jon.
    Try in French or Spanish from now...

6. ernest

ernest Senior member

Ask the teenager about manliness. I have no idea as I don't work.

I told i owe a Tank and an Hampton. So you have an idea of what I would buy for $3500.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Ernest, you are 9 years older than I am...not really a big leap here in "˜world' experience (you actually have to travel the world to get "˜world experience' by the way).

As well, notice how I just went back to answering people's watch-related questions? Whilst you came back to argue? Who's acting like a teenager now?

Jon.

8. ernest

ernest Senior member

This is exactly what i have been asking you for 2 days = go back on answering people's watch questions

My questions are the following =

Questions =

1) what does make a watch "manly" (as it is neither the size nor the thickness nor the details) ?
    Reply more than posting a pic of someone. Use words.

2) why is the Hampton not "manely"? (taking apart you think it has been designed for women, I mean what is not manely in the watch).
    Reply more than "in my opinion" as this is not an argument.

3) why is the Tank more manly? Because it is called TANK?
    Reply more than : " i am a man as I hold down a job."

4) why wouldn't you buy a quartz watch of more than $1000?
    Reply something intelligent.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ May 20 2005,16:00) Ernest, you are 9 years older than I am...not really a big leap here in "˜world' experience (you actually have to travel the world to get "˜world experience' by the way). As well, notice how I just went back to answering people's watch-related questions? Whilst you came back to argue? Who's acting like a teenager now? Jon.
    This is exactly what i have been asking you for 2 days = go back on answering people's watch questions My questions are the following = Questions = 1) what does make a watch "manly" (as it is neither the size nor the thickness nor the details) ? Reply more than posting a pic of someone. Use words. 2) why is the Hampton not "manely"? (taking apart you think it has been designed for women, I mean what is not manely in the watch). Reply more than "in my opinion" as this is not an argument. 3) why is the Tank more manly? Because it is called TANK? Reply more than : " i am a man as I hold down a job." 4) why wouldn't you buy a quartz watch of more than $1000? Reply something intelligent.
    Ernest you are obviously not a model of a modern major general: General. Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan? Pirates. (disgusted) Oh, dash it all. King. Here we are again. General. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan? King. Often. General. Yes, orphan. Have you ever known what it is to be one? King. I say, often. Pirates. (disgusted) Often, often, often. (Turning away) General. I don't think we quite understand one another. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan, and you say "orphan". As I understand you, you are merely repeating the word "orphan" to show that you understand me. King. I didn't repeat the word often. General. Pardon me, you did indeed. King. I only repeated it once. General. True, but you repeated it. King. But not often. General. Stop. I think I see where we are getting confused. When you said "orphan", did you mean "orphan" - a person who has lost his parents, or "often", frequently? King. Ah. I beg pardon - I see what you mean - frequently. General. Ah. you said "often", frequently. King. No, only once. General. (irritated) Exactly - you said "often", frequently, only once. Jon.

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ May 20 2005,11:20)
    Ernest, you are 9 years older than I am...not really a big leap here in "˜world' experience (you actually have to travel the world to get "˜world experience' by the way). As well, notice how I just went back to answering people's watch-related questions? Whilst you came back to argue? Who's acting like a teenager now? Jon.
    This is exactly what i have been asking you for 2 days = go back on answering people's watch questions My questions are the following = Questions = 1) what does make a watch "manly" (as it is neither the size nor the thickness nor the details) ? Reply more than posting a pic of someone. Use words. 2) why is the Hampton not "manely"? (taking apart you think it has been designed for women, I mean what is not manely in the watch). Reply more than "in my opinion" as this is not an argument. 3) why is the Tank more manly? Because it is called TANK? Reply more than : " i am a man as I hold down a job." 4) why wouldn't you buy a quartz watch of more than $1000? Reply something intelligent.
    Ernest you are obviously not a model of a modern major general: Â General. Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan? Pirates. (disgusted) Oh, dash it all. King. Here we are again. General. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan? King. Often. General. Yes, orphan. Have you ever known what it is to be one? King. I say, often. Pirates. (disgusted) Often, often, often. (Turning away) General. I don't think we quite understand one another. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan, and you say "orphan". As I understand you, you are merely repeating the word "orphan" to show that you understand me. King. I didn't repeat the word often. General. Pardon me, you did indeed. King. I only repeated it once. General. True, but you repeated it. King. But not often. General. Stop. I think I see where we are getting confused. When you said "orphan", did you mean "orphan" - a person who has lost his parents, or "often", frequently? King. Ah. I beg pardon - I see what you mean - frequently. General. Ah. you said "often", frequently. King. No, only once. General. (irritated) Exactly - you said "often", frequently, only once. Jon.
    Learn to quote properly

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ May 20 2005,17:48)
    Ernest, you are 9 years older than I am...not really a big leap here in "˜world' experience (you actually have to travel the world to get "˜world experience' by the way). As well, notice how I just went back to answering people's watch-related questions? Whilst you came back to argue? Who's acting like a teenager now? Jon.

Ernest you are obviously not a model of a modern major general: General. Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan? Pirates. (disgusted) Oh, dash it all. King. Here we are again. General. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan? King. Often. General. Yes, orphan. Have you ever known what it is to be one? King. I say, often. Pirates. (disgusted) Often, often, often. (Turning away) General. I don't think we quite understand one another. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan, and you say "orphan". As I understand you, you are merely repeating the word "orphan" to show that you understand me. King. I didn't repeat the word often. General. Pardon me, you did indeed. King. I only repeated it once. General. True, but you repeated it. King. But not often. General. Stop. I think I see where we are getting confused. When you said "orphan", did you mean "orphan" - a person who has lost his parents, or "often", frequently? King. Ah. I beg pardon - I see what you mean - frequently. General. Ah. you said "often", frequently. King. No, only once. General. (irritated) Exactly - you said "often", frequently, only once. Jon.
    Learn to quote properly
    You want the last word? Here take it: Jon. (You'll still be an imbecile)

12. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ May 20 2005,12:06)

Ernest you are obviously not a model of a modern major general: Â General. Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan? Pirates. (disgusted) Oh, dash it all. King. Here we are again. General. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan? King. Often. General. Yes, orphan. Have you ever known what it is to be one? King. I say, often. Pirates. (disgusted) Often, often, often. (Turning away) General. I don't think we quite understand one another. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan, and you say "orphan". As I understand you, you are merely repeating the word "orphan" to show that you understand me. King. I didn't repeat the word often. General. Pardon me, you did indeed. King. I only repeated it once. General. True, but you repeated it. King. But not often. General. Stop. I think I see where we are getting confused. When you said "orphan", did you mean "orphan" - a person who has lost his parents, or "often", frequently? King. Ah. I beg pardon - I see what you mean - frequently. General. Ah. you said "often", frequently. King. No, only once. General. (irritated) Exactly - you said "often", frequently, only once. Jon.

Learn to quote properly
    You want the last word? Here take it: Jon. (You'll still be an imbecile)
    I want you to reply to my 4 questions...

13. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Can we kill this thread yet?

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Yes, kill it.

Ernest is beating a dead horse.

Jon.

15. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    Well, why not just tell him what connotes a 'manly' watch, in your opinion; IMO that would be easier.

16. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I believe the Patek Philippe "Grande Penetration" fits the bill.

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(jmswentworth @ May 20 2005,10:25) Well, why not just tell him what connotes a 'manly' watch, in your opinion; IMO that would be easier.
    I believe the Patek Philippe "Grande Penetration" fits the bill.
    HAHAHAHAHA. Ah, the "˜Grande Penetration', its made out of the hardest materials... Jon.

18. ernest

ernest Senior member

Originally Posted by scnupe7,May 20 2005,12:44
    Can we kill this thread yet?
    Yes, kill it. Ernest is beating a dead horse. Jon.
    An horse? Aren't you rather used to beeing a donkey ?

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.