• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

verizon dsl and a wireless router

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use Verizon DSL with a wireless Actiontec FT704-WG router?

They have now sent me a third one of these that..shocker!...does not work properly. The last time I was on the phone with tech support for hours (literally) trying to do some upgrade to it that was a "work around" to a technical issue with MS Vista. Didn't work. I gave up and haven't spoken to them in over a month.

In an effort to finally get a wireless connection my wife called (I refused). After getting the run-around we finally caved and said we'd pay their $2.95/mo "warranty" for this ************* on the condition we could cancel it immediately. The router shows up and it doesn't work.

So it's sitting here again. Anyone have this problem and a solution?

Can we just buy some other wireless router and plug that in and use it just the same?

I f-ing hate Verizon with a passion I never thought I would feel.

b

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSL companies are notorious for giving out crappy hardware, frankly I don't see how some of this stuff makes it to market. H1B visas in action.

I would get away from the wifi if you can and search DSLReports for a basic router or an answer to your problem. If you get a basic router it will probably be more secure, then go to amazon or buy.com and setup your own wireless router.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently went through this, but with cable + Cat5 Router + WiFi router, and there is some major disparity out there in router reliability. I'd definitely get my own router if that is an option you can pursue.

aarghh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
DSL companies are notorious for giving out crappy hardware, frankly I don't see how some of this stuff makes it to market. H1B visas in action.

This reeks of bigotry to me. I am, of course, biased.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aarghh
This reeks of bigotry to me. I am, of course, biased.

Whatever you say dude.

To the OP, check out www.dslreports.com, they seem to have solutions to problems like this. I know they had one for me in my area a while back.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't any off-the-shelf router from the Apple Store or whatever work? I'm pretty sure my future in-laws have Verizon DSL, and I set up a standard Apple AirPort router in their home without problem. Most routers can handle PPPoE, and if you have a DSL modem in the house any router can handle a basic ethernet connection.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about DSL hardware, but you can buy your own. The only thing you need to watch out for is that they need to support the right protocol for your ISP. Verizon might even be able to give you a list of all compatible modems.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just spend about $40-50, get a Linksys router and just call it a day? I never use the free crap from the ISPs. They're mostly junk.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I will check out that website.

In the meantime, that was a question of mine: can I just use some other router or must I use one that Verizon sends me. I'm happy to go spend $50 on a new one if it means it'll work and I don't have to deal with Verizon anymore.

b

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't need a router, you need a dsl modem. Some modems have routers built in. The modem converts the DSL signal into one that your computer can understand over ethernet. What I do is have a modem and then have a separate router that I plug into it.

The first search result on google came up with someone having your same problem:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r186...m-from-Verizon

I would try calling verizon to see if they can give you a list of supported modems. You'll need to change some settings on the modem and even I wouldn't be able to figure out which ones to set without calling their half assed tech support.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have what I have, you probably have to use their modem, because your cable (and phone, if you have verizon phone service) goes through the same box.

You can certainly use a different router, though. I use a linksys that I hate, but at least it's mine so when it craps out I can throw it against the wall. I'm in the market for a new one--I'm thinking a netgear model.

Mac or PC?

EDIT: NM, I use comcast, I'm an idiot. You can still almost certainly use a different router than the one they provide, though.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, let's see...I'm confused over terminology. The simple language is so that I'm explaining and understanding responses correctly. It is not meant to be insulting.

There is a cord from the phone jack to a box. It has one outlet (in) for the phone line in and then four for ethernet lines out. The wireless version is the same except it also sends out a signal via antenna. Obviously.

Are these routers or modems (or both)?

That box (the first one without an antenna) is currently connected (by ethernet cable) to my computer.

I would like to get rid of the cord going from the box to my computer. The wireless one that Verizon has sent me (three times now) doesn't work.

So I can
(i) replace that box with one with an antenna (for a total of one box), or
(ii) buy another box that connects to the original box via ethernet cable but which has its own antenna for a wireless connection to my computer (for a total of two)?

bob

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Okay, let's see...I'm confused over terminology. The simple language is so that I'm explaining and understanding responses correctly. It is not meant to be insulting.

There is a cord from the phone jack to a box. It has one outlet (in) for the phone line in and then four for ethernet lines out. The wireless version is the same except it also sends out a signal via antenna. Obviously.

Are these routers or modems (or both)?

That box (the first one without an antenna) is currently connected (by ethernet cable) to my computer.

I would like to get rid of the cord going from the box to my computer. The wireless one that Verizon has sent me (three times now) doesn't work.

So I can
(i) replace that box with one with an antenna (for a total of one box), or
(ii) buy another box that connects to the original box via ethernet cable but which has its own antenna for a wireless connection to my computer (for a total of two)?

bob

You basically have a DSL (as different from Cable) modem/router combination box. It acts as a modem by receiving/sending information to the ISP, and as a router by distribution that information to the appropriate computers in your house. The second box you have is a wireless router. It does the same thing as your regular router, except doing so wirelessly. Is it correct that you basically want to have a wireless network in your house? If so, you basically need one of these Linksys Wireless Router. You can use the first box as a modem only, but plugging in the phone cord to the back of it, then one ethernet cable from it to the Wireless Router. If you need to have something wired in, then you can plug the ethernet cable from any computer to the Linksys Wireless Router.

There are other makers out there, but I've had the best experience with Linksys for the past 10 years.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
They get on the routers on the cheap.

BankerBoi

Reaction score
I have Verizon FIOS and a Verizon supplied wired/wireless router
and it works well, I've only had to reboot it once in 8 weeks.

Previously I chained a Linksys wireless router after a cable modem,
and had more rebooting issues then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads