• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass U last sizing

aon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rsuhandy
bump to answer this question
smile.gif

I got the vass U last chukka in size 43. I wear an 8.5uk in cj 337. So half a size up for the U last.

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I wear 8.5 UK in Carmina Robert last
9/9.5 D in EG 82 Last
8.5 in C&J 360 last
9.5 US in Tramezza

I have a narrow-medium foot.

Would I wear a 43 in Vass U Last?

any help would be greatly appreciated

jmills

Reaction score
A lot of 8.5 UK people are sizing up to 43, as the toe box on the U is narrow. If you are narrow or normal, 42.5 might be better, and it seems that a reasonable number of people are doing this too. I sent measurements to Vass and they advised me to take the 42.5. Shoes that are too big can be really annoying, so you'd probably want to email them with measurements and ask, or try a pair on.

Last edited:

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Another thread resurrect: if I generally wear a size 12B will I fit into a U last size 46?

thelastdon

Reaction score
If I have UK 7.5E for C&J last 348 (edgware) what size for Vass U-last should i have? According to size charts UK 7.5 is EU 42.5, should i go for EU 43 for the Vass?

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for size EU42.I have the same shoe in C&J and I wear a 42 in for all 5 pairs of my Vass U last

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll keep this thread going..

I'm confused on my U last sizing, maybe I have weird feet, although I have always thought of them as fairly normal.

I fit:

EG 888 in 8.5/9 is almost perfect
C&J 337 8E - is slightly loose
Carmina Rain 8E - is slightly tight, but a good fit

The confusing part for me is I wear a US 9.5 in most shoes, including most Alden lasts (some tighter, some looser)

Any advice? I'm stuck between a 42 and a 42.5.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll keep this thread going..

I'm confused on my U last sizing, maybe I have weird feet, although I have always thought of them as fairly normal.

I fit:

EG 888 in 8.5/9 is almost perfect
C&J 337 8E - is slightly loose
Carmina Rain 8E - is slightly tight, but a good fit

The confusing part for me is I wear a US 9.5 in most shoes, including most Alden lasts (some tighter, some looser)

Any advice? I'm stuck between a 42 and a 42.5.

That is a bit strange. I am a half-size larger in EG 888, C&J 337, and Carmina Rain, but I typically wear a U.S.9.5D. My left foot is 9.25C and my right foot is 9.5D on the Brannock scale. The Vass U in size 42.5 is a good fit for me. My guess is that you would wear size 42, but I recommend you buy from a store with a good return policy.

nosrep123

Reaction score
Thread revival again.

I have a high instep and a regular (or slightly wider) feet. I wear:

8UK Carmina Forest (wearable but roomy with thin socks)
7.5UK Carmina Rain (wearable but tight with thin socks)
8.5D US Allen Edmonds 5 last (tight across instep)
7.5D US Alden Barrie

What would I wear in a Vass U-last? Nomanwalksalone quoted 41.5 or maybe 42, but from reading the first 2 pages of this thread, I think a 42.5 would fit better. Or should I go for 43? I can always use insole if it's too big right?

nosrep123

Reaction score

43 would be way too big, IMO.  And 42.5 is probably going to be a roomy fit. 

I have a high instep and wide-ish forefoot.  I wear 8.5 UK Rain, 9 UK Forest, 9.5D Alden Barrie and 43 Vass U.

You didn't have any issues with the front taper being too narrow? Wouldn't it be safer to order a size larger, and use insoles if it's too big?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You didn't have any issues with the front taper being too narrow? Wouldn't it be safer to order a size larger, and use insoles if it's too big?

No, because the taper is in the toe box. If I had fat, widely-spaced toes then it might be an issue. But my slightly than wider than normal width is at the forefoot, not at the toes.

You also have to realize that some lasts simply won't work for your feet. It doesn't sound that U-last would be a problem for you if, like me, you wear both Rain and Forest with a I/2 size difference between the two. But I can't wear Simpson at all. Getting a size wide enough to fit my feet would result in shoes too ridiculously long.

I can only give you my sizing experience - I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do. E-sizing is educated guesswork, but it is still guesswork. In theory going larger is always safer - but if you are too big by a full size you still have shoes that simply don't fit and insoles won't solve it for you.

nosrep123

Reaction score

No, because the taper is in the toe box.  If I had fat, widely-spaced toes then it might be an issue.  But my slightly than wider than normal width is at the forefoot, not at the toes.

You also have to realize that some lasts simply won't work for your feet.  It doesn't sound that U-last would be a problem for you if, like me, you wear both Rain and Forest with a I/2 size difference between the two.  But I can't wear Simpson at all.  Getting a size wide enough to fit my feet would result in shoes too ridiculously long.

I can only give you my sizing experience - I  wouldn't presume to tell you what to do.  E-sizing is educated guesswork, but it is still guesswork.  In theory going larger is always safer - but if you are too big by a full size you still have shoes that simply don't fit and insoles won't solve it for you.

I wouldn't even try the simpson last. From the looks of it, my feet won't fit well. How are you 9.5D in Alden barrie though given your Carmina sizes? How tight are your U Last shoes on your feet?

Jsocol

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with ordering a wider shoe- g width- instead of sizing up. Does the g width provide much more room in the toe box?

mdras

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I am just about to make a purchase of a pair in U last, and having a trouble which size to go with. All my shoes are in UK 12, including John Lobb 8000, Alfred Sargent 724, and CJ 348. The last one fits a tad loose, while I feel a bit of pressure in my lateral toes in 724. Any advices?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads