• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass U last sizing

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another thread ressurrect. i wrote a.harris who said a 43 would be best for my foot.

does anyone else have any experience in sizing on the U last who wears a 9/9.5 D on the EG 888 (FYI, Iam closer to a 8.75/9.25 D)? I also wear a 9/9.5 US D on the EG 101 last. I seem to be an 8.5 UK in C&J on the 337. I have a medium to slightly narrow foot. I can't decide if 42.5 would be better than a 43. Any thoughts.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That suggestion falls in line with what I've experienced.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by william
That suggestion falls in line with what I've experienced.
thanks william. just to clarify...you're seconding a.harris' recommendation of 43, not my pondering of a 42.5

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 9/9.5 in all my EGs (albeit in a C-fitting, as I have narrow feet), including two pairs on the 888 last. The fit is perfect. My best size with C&J is 8.5 UK; I have them in both 8.5 and 9 UK. With my Vass shoes on the U last, 42.5 is the correct size for me. I have one pair in 43, and they are just a tad too long (not a problem with a thin insole), but my 42.5s are exactly right. Keep in mind that the style can have some effect on fit, in that the balmoral models can be tight over the instep if you have a high instep, a phenomenon that will be far less a problem with a blucher or monk shoe. I would definitely go with the 42.5. Chances are it will fit from the get go, but if it is a touch tight (it won't be more than a little tight at worst), it can be easily stretched to fit well. The natural stretching that comes with shoe use will produce the final bit of molding to your feet needed to make the shoes a really comfortable fit (assuming, of course, that you can wear the U-last, something that seems very likely from your description of your feet).

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(albeit in a C-fitting, as I have narrow feet),
This is key. A 42.5 will only work for him if he has a markedly narrow foot. If his foot is a bit wider than yours he will probably not be happy with the 42.5's.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! My feet aren't C narrow though. I think I will go with the 43. Thanks again for the input. after measuring my foot again, it seems I am a perfect C width. 3.75" wide. So I think that 42.5 will be best for me.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I am looking at this Vass shoe on the U last which on the sole says size 42.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

And have a request for advice from those of you who have experience with Vass U Last sizing. Vass shoes are not sold where I live so it is unlikely that I will be able to try them for fitting. Now I wear US size 8D in almost all the makes and have a somewhat of a high instep. How do you think a Vass U last shoe size 42 will fit me?

Thanks.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to horn in, if I may?

As an example, I fit AEs in 11D very comfortably. I want to order a couple of Vass U Last pairs, inspired by the amazing photographs and comments on this forum. The Euro sizing still confuses at times.

I live in Toronto. From some thread research, I assume my best best would be to order directly from the Vass site. Correct?

London in a burgundy colour -- what does Vass call burgundy?
Oxford Medallion in Cognac Boxcalf

Will 44.5 work or will I need a 45? My instep is normal and width is comfortable in D. What would my UK sizing be?

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers....

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia

As an example, I fit AEs in 11D very comfortably. I want to order a couple of Vass U Last pairs, inspired by the amazing photographs and comments on this forum. The Euro sizing still confuses at times.

I live in Toronto. From some thread research, I assume my best best would be to order directly from the Vass site. Correct?

Will 44.5 work or will I need a 45? My instep is normal and width is comfortable in D. What would my UK sizing be?

Cheers....

There're two Vass sites, one is the Hungarian site, the other is an English site set up by the its US rep. AFAIK, neither of them accept internet order. U last in 44.5 should fit US 11D, but I highly recommend to try them on to be sure. You can either order them thru a German website (do a search) or Vass East Coast rep Gabor Halmos. He can recommend what fits you the best and may send you some samples to try on for sizes.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i am always a 13 us or euro 46 and my 2 pair of vass are both 13 and fit perfectly.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia

Cheers....

You might try contacting forum member AHarris, as ( I believe still) the US west-coast rep for Vass. He might be able to give you some good advice.

Amar ezzahi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
Thanks guys! My feet aren't C narrow though. I think I will go with the 43. Thanks again for the input.

after measuring my foot again, it seems I am a perfect C width. 3.75" wide. So I think that 42.5 will be best for me.

Sartort,

Finally, how did U last in EU 43 fit you?

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.5D in most Allen Edmonds Lasts
U.S. 8.5/9 in most C&J Lasts
42 in the U last

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
8.5D in most Allen Edmonds Lasts
U.S. 8.5/9 in most C&J Lasts
42 in the U last

8.5D in all US shoes = 41.5 in U last for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads