• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vampire Weekend

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
I think in terms of music, this decade has been pretty great. Especially early on and recently; but not so much the middle part.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Songs for the Deaf is the best rock album of this **** decade.

Disagreed. None really stands out, though there are quite a few solid albums.

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
Some highlights of this decade that come to mind (for anyone complaining about the lack of good music): Stereolab - Sound Dust/Margerine Eclipse Françoiz Breut - Vingt à Trente Mille Jours Monade - Cosmic Monstre Black Dice - Cold Hands/Beaches & Canyons/Creature Comforts Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes/Worlds Apart Animal Collective - Sung Tongs/Prospect Hummer EP [The User] - Symphony #2 for Dot Matrix Printers Autechre - Confield/Draft 7.30 The Breeders - Title TK Jaga Jazzist - A Livingroom Hush Guitar - Sunkissed Tara Jane O'Neil - In Circles Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O. At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command Jim O'Rourke - Insignificance The Mars Volta - Tremulant Sigur Rós- ( ) Yann Tiersen & Shannon Wright - S/T The Microphones - The Glow, Part 2 The Sea and Cake - Car Alarm Kraftwerk - Tour de France Soundtracks Modest Mouse - Moon and Antarctica Lightning Bolt - Hypermagic Mountain Brendan Benson - Lapalco Wolf Eyes - Dead Hills 400 Blows - Angel's Trumpets And Devil's Trombones Melissa McClelland - Thumbelina's One Night Stand The White Stripes - De Stijl/White Blood Cells/Elephant/Under Blackpool Lights/Get Behind Me Satan Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons Cambodian Cassette Archives - Khmer Folk and Pop Music Vol. 1 (technically not new music, but never before released and quite a barn burner) Edit: You know what I completely forgot about? Don Caballero. American Don is mind blowing.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
The Mars Volta - Tremulant
I wouldn't count an EP as an album, just use De-Loused. I would probably pick ( ), but also nominate Boxer by The National. Trail of Dead and Godspeed! are legit contenders.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I don't know about this. Kanye is a master hitmaker, but I don't think his music is going to hold up.

I can see radio stations playing U2, Radiohead, and Coldplay in 30 years. I don't see them playing Kanye unless it's some kind of throwback program on Friday nights, like much of the 80s pop you rarely hear today unless it's couched within some kind of conscious camp. I mean, shoot, "Stronger" even sounds dated already.

I still love College Dropout. The rest of his stuff doesn't have much replay value, though.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
13 Songs is a definitive listen for anyone. If there's any band you can name drop to drop hipster panties, this has got to be it.
Thank you. This is extremely useful to me.

Originally Posted by JD_May
I wouldn't count an EP as an album, just use De-Loused. I would probably pick ( ), but also nominate Boxer by The National. Trail of Dead and Godspeed! are legit contenders.
Yeah, forgot about Boxer. Why does everyone like () better than Ãgætis byrjun, though?

Originally Posted by Roy Biggins
I hated everything else that they did, including De-Loused.
Really? Do you just not like concept albums?

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
I've made concept albums myself; so I have nothing against them. I hate nearly everything after Tremulant (other than a few songs here and there) because of the production; and I think the songs are generally just awful and very unpleasant to listen to. Big, long clusterfucks that really do not make any sense most of the time; not to mention Omar's guitar playing changed for the worse -- I am going to guess the Red Hot Chili Peppers had something to do with most of this.

And I personally do not like ( ) more than Ãgætis byrjun. I would have listed it, but it was released in 1999. I'm going to guess that most people prefer ( ) because it is easier to listen to.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MARS VOLTA IS BRO MUSIC they are a ******* jam band. it is for boring frat guys who just so happen to listen to modest mouse and yoshimi battles the pink robots can try to lay girls with bangs.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
MARS VOLTA IS BRO MUSIC

they are a ******* jam band. it is for boring frat guys who just so happen to listen to modest mouse and yoshimi battles the pink robots can try to lay girls with bangs.

I'd never thought of it that way, but that makes sense. I maintain that ATD-I is real music, though.

Roy, any links to your stuff? I'd like to hear it.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Pavement.

Do you have to ask?

They were very good. The VU meets Sonic Youth. Some great songs. Unbearably sloppy live.

And far too overplayed on FM and MTV but some strong songs nonetheless - Soundgarden

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Pavement is just a The Fall tribute band.

This is one of those things people say just because they heard someone famous say it. It can only really apply to some of Pavement's early songs. I hear way more Lou Reed in Stephen Malkmus than Mark Smith. Pavement is no where near as dark as the Fall. And so forth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads