• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valextra CC/Wallet

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It better... for $200.

I'd like to promote a no-name wallet I bought from TJ Maxx for $15. It's very thin, which I like, because I only carry around a couple of credit cards, my driving license and a few other cards. So far, it hasn't gotten me any compliments from the ladies, though, so decide for yourself.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question I wanted to ask since it's been brewing in my mind for a long time. Please take this question in the light of a limited budget. Of course, if you have more money than you could spend it's absolutely irrelevant.

If I buy nice shoes or expensive suits it makes sense to me. I wear them on the outside and people can see them. My wallet is an entire different thing. I prefer to manage my financial and private property without calling too much attention to myself. So, say, if I need to pull out a CC out of my wallet to pay for dinner, I will probably do it below the table where no one can see it. Then what's the point for me to buy an expensive wallet if nobody is ever going to see it? I'm quite happy with my cheap wallet, because it does what it needs to do. Am I missing something here? I guess, I don't view the wallet as some kind of luxury item. Am I alone here?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wallet is identical size to the Valextra but about $30. Obviously doesn't look as nice but compared to the oversized fat stretched black wallets most square shoes carry (also called the Costanza wallet), it still looks better. I am happy with that.

If I had money to burn, the Valextra looks like a nice choice though.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I'm quite happy with my cheap wallet, because it does what it needs to do. Am I missing something here? I guess, I don't view the wallet as some kind of luxury item. Am I alone here?

My last wallet - a cheap one - lasted about 10 years. When I finally decided it was time for a new one I purchased a fairly expensive model. I wouldn't say it was a "luxury item" but it was well constructed from high quality leather. It's about a year old at this point and shows absolutely no wear. I'm sure it will last 10 years just like the cheap one it replaced, but it will do so while being much nicer from a tactile perspective.

Made in California

Reaction score
It better... for $200. I'd like to promote a no-name wallet I bought from TJ Maxx for $15. It's very thin, which I like, because I only carry around a couple of credit cards, my driving license and a few other cards. So far, it hasn't gotten me any compliments from the ladies, though, so decide for yourself.
Boy, that sure is a glowing review

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question I wanted to ask since it's been brewing in my mind for a long time. Please take this question in the light of a limited budget. Of course, if you have more money than you could spend it's absolutely irrelevant.

If I buy nice shoes or expensive suits it makes sense to me. I wear them on the outside and people can see them. My wallet is an entire different thing. I prefer to manage my financial and private property without calling too much attention to myself. So, say, if I need to pull out a CC out of my wallet to pay for dinner, I will probably do it below the table where no one can see it. Then what's the point for me to buy an expensive wallet if nobody is ever going to see it? I'm quite happy with my cheap wallet, because it does what it needs to do. Am I missing something here? I guess, I don't view the wallet as some kind of luxury item. Am I alone here?

I'm sure you're not alone, but my wallet is Hermes and my card holder is Goyard. If I am going to be looking at and handling the one item I keep on me every single time I leave the house for the next ten years or so, I want it to be something I find pleasurable.

Luxuries aren't always about what other people think. There aren't many wallets out there that are going to draw attention to you. Only pulling out some beat up busted ass old falling-apart wallet does that.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that you are after a card holder - have you considered a Bi-Fold? IMHO Havana is Valextra's best color. I have used mine for about 4 years and I find it very practical.
rm8ci8.jpg
n5g39k.jpg

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought the exact case linked in the OP but in navy while I was in Paris. So far, very happy with it (though feels like it's going to take a little longer to stretch than others I've had, not a bad thing though).

Question: anyone know why most Valextra accessories on Barney's website are classified as women's? Card cases, iPhone cases, etc. I thought the general consensus was to classify "unisex" items as men's because women would still buy them but it wouldn't work vice versa.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I just bought the exact case linked in the OP but in navy while I was in Paris. So far, very happy with it (though feels like it's going to take a little longer to stretch than others I've had, not a bad thing though).

Question: anyone know why most Valextra accessories on Barney's website are classified as women's? Card cases, iPhone cases, etc. I thought the general consensus was to classify "unisex" items as men's because women would still buy them but it wouldn't work vice versa.

Valextra shows up via Men's accessories too.

Not quite sure why this one is almost $3K.
http://www.barneys.com/Credit-Card-H...efault,pd.html

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Valextra shows up via Men's accessories too. Not quite sure why this one is almost $3K. http://www.barneys.com/Credit-Card-H...efault,pd.html
Ha! I wondered the exact same thing! I know some showed up in men's, but what I thought was funny is the light green exotic skin case shows up in men's, but the normal colored (black, navy, tan) calf cases that are the exact same design show up as women's!?!?! This is the exact one I bought: http://www.barneys.com/Credit-Card-H...efault,pd.html As you can see, it's listed under women's And here are a couple others that hardly seem effeminate, yet are listed as such: http://www.barneys.com/Card-Case-wit...efault,pd.html http://www.barneys.com/Pocket-Credit...efault,pd.html http://www.barneys.com/Small-Notepad...efault,pd.html http://www.barneys.com/Italy-Passpor...efault,pd.html My only thought is it has something to do with the entire Valextra collection, men's and women's, being housed in cases in the purse section of the store, vs. some in the men's dept, some in the women's. Still, seems odd that they have a men's section at all on the website then. And on an unrelated note, when I bought mine I saw the ultimate "I'm going to buy this simply because I can afford it" superfluous item: a leather Valextra flash drive holder.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then what's the point for me to buy an expensive wallet if nobody is ever going to see it?

Typical brainwashed SF poster: "B/c you'll know you're a fraud with a cheap no-name wallet. You'll know the difference, and it will haunt you in your sleep"

That said, I just spent $50 on a wallet. A new record.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=238965

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Typical brainwashed SF poster: "B/c you'll know you're a fraud with a cheap no-name wallet. You'll know the difference, and it will haunt you in your sleep"

That said, I just spent $50 on a wallet. A new record.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=238965

Another thing I do like about Valextra as opposed to many expensive wallets and cases is that, unless you know their signature pocket "V" you'll have no idea what it is, how nicely it's made, and that it's probably more expensive than that gaudy D&G wallet you keep pulling out.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We've had this thread before, but my opinion is that if you're happy with your cheap wallet, then it's the right wallet for you. My wallet/CC case are Hermes and Goyard. They make me happy, so they are the right wallets for me. In short, the point is that you should buy the things you like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads