• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

V-Neck T's - Can you layer?

zw-gator

Reaction score
I just got a nice V-neck T shirt today. I would like to wear it, but unfortunately, my summer tan doesn't go that far down on my chest, and needless to say, it looks a little funny. So my question is, can I layer my v-neck (black BTW) with another t-shirt or wearing something with it? Does anyone have a picture? edit: Mine looks something like this (except back and has words on the front), with a slightly bigger "neck" all around http://www.freshpair.com/C-IN2-Orang...-1111-ORG.html

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Sure, I've done that quite a bit. I normally just put on a crew neck under the V-neck. I like it better when the crew neck is a louder color and the v-neck is more subtle. A black v-neck with a really bright blue is a cool comination.

capnpyro

Reaction score
Just wear the v-neck, your chest will catch up quick. Or go by a tanning salon if you're really self conscience. Wear some button up shirts undone a few buttons if you don't have enough v-necks to get your chest some extra sun time
wink.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Seriously, don't worry about being a bit white there. Most everyone has a little bit of a tan line in places. It'll catch up and until then, i doubt people will notice/care. Just wear it if you like the shirt. You can layer it if you want, but don't be afraid to wear it normal.

edit: i'm glad every guy on that site is trying to rip the shirts off their body. maybe if i buy it my abs can be as ripped, no?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was at american apparel the other day and they layered one of their deep-v's with a classic v-neck. it looked decent on the mannequin but i don't have the balls to try anything like that.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
i was at american apparel the other day and they layered one of their deep-v's with a classic v-neck. it looked decent on the mannequin but i don't have the balls to try anything like that.

Yea, you have to have a nice looking chest or at least be tan to wear that. I find that they fit me kind of drapey too, so it looks stupid if you want to layer with a crew neck.

chronoaug

Reaction score
I see online how they layer a tshirt or something under a deep vneck, but i'd never do it. It looks exactly like an outfit all girls have in their wardrobe. The deep scoop neck short sleeve shirt with a different color tube top or less deep v/scoop shirt underneath. I'd personally avoid it. I haven't seen anyone actually do it except for the AA male model, and i wasn't a fan.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done it..looks aiight sometimes
n2259713_36470046_3009.jpg
n2256133_35070801_4274.jpg

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Normal vneck layering is fine, i'm just talking about the AA deep vneck where if you wear it without an undershirt, you show a ton of man-cleavage.

deep-v with nothing underneath seems to be the hipster style of NYC, especially with dudes with chest tattoos.... it's kinda creepy to see a really skinny guy (like me) in a tight deep-V shirt... it's like the "anti man-cleavage"

chronoaug

Reaction score
This one kind of hipster kid in my italian class last semester(who was actually a junior in high school which is weird since i was a junior in college) wore a deep vneck from AA. We were friends as he generally tried fashion wise with slim levis, slim PDCs and well fitting tops, but we both had a laugh the day he wore that. He said an even more hipster friend gave it to him as a gift but he felt weird because he didn't want to lean over because he could feel himself showing off cleavage
tongue.gif

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
I've done it..looks aiight sometimes

n2256133_35070801_4274.jpg

Who's the drunk girl hanging on Justin Timberlake in this photo?
bounce2.gif

BTW, nice chainline in the avatar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads