• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*UPDATED* Help Finding Pointed Silk Knit Tie Options -- Bespoke (Drakes, Hober) / RTW

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kohelet
Ebay may be a gamble but they do sell vintage. Bespoke tailoring isnt going to be vintage. It will just be a replica of vintage. And for 6$ you're not losing out if it isnt perfect.

I like the tie of the link you put. How will you find someone who can do a knit that isnt sqaured is the major issue. This is the type of knitting and embroidery work is something my grandmother (she's in her 80's) would do... I don't think our generation cares to do such elegant work. If I were you I would treasure your dad's tie!
smile.gif

I really hope pointed silk knit ties, without straight sides and square bottoms, aren't a relic of the past. If so, I'll be EXTRA careful with this tie.

However, I'll contact Drakes in the next few days about the possibility of pointed tip bespoke. In which case, it might be worth the minimum order of 3 ties.

BTW, I read a mention of Battistoni offering pointed tip knit ties, but I haven't found any online yet. If anyone has any sources, for any brand, I'd really love the information. Additionally, if anyone knows of any retail stores in Los Angeles that offer such a tie, that'd be even better.

Regards

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolal
I really hope pointed silk knit ties, without straight sides and square bottoms, aren't a relic of the past.

Oh, pointed knit ties can certainly be found. Both Kent Wang and Howard Yount have a few, including some with dots.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Oh, pointed knit ties can certainly be found. Both Kent Wang and Howard Yount have a few, including some with dots.
THe Kents ties are too skinny right? Those Howards ties are nice. Still not that same vintage 60's 70's look though. It is nice and modern which can be a good thing!

kohelet

Reaction score
So I am guessing you want Pointed silk knit ties with an width no less than 3 1/8'' that perhaps isn't so understated as a solid tie with bespoke dots rather a more complexed patterned tie. Um yeah still best best is ebay and etsy for Vintage. If you're going for modern than do try out Marguis' links.

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

Thanks for the links. I actually stumbled across both these options late last night, however with respect to their market, I find these knits to be completely unremarkable. The thing that bothers me most is the "tube sock" nature of it, even with the ends pointed. The sides are still straight, and the width is way too skinny. Additionally, it doesn't look like there is any interlining.

I have, however, had some luck with Tom Ford knits. It seems like one of the only brands selling a tie that tapers in width from the neck to the widest point.

Basically, I'm looking for a knit tie that has substantial body (interlining) and is shaped like a "normal" pointed tie. Besides Tom Ford, this has proven to be A LOT harder than I first assumed. Does anyone know who Tom Ford uses for tie production?

Thanks

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolal
Thanks for the links. I actually stumbled across both these options late last night, however with respect to their market, I find these knits to be completely unremarkable. The thing that bothers me most is the "tube sock" nature of it, even with the ends pointed. The sides are still straight, and the width is way too skinny. Additionally, it doesn't look like there is any interlining.

I have, however, had some luck with Tom Ford knits. It seems like one of the only brands selling a tie that tapers in width from the neck to the widest point.

Basically, I'm looking for a knit tie that has substantial body (interlining) and is shaped like a "normal" pointed tie. Besides Tom Ford, this has proven to be A LOT harder than I first assumed. Does anyone know who Tom Ford uses for tie production?

Thanks

What you're looking for is very unusual. Knit ties are made completely different from regular ties. The closest in appearance to what you want is a grenadine tie. It's much more formal than a knit, but it might be the best thing to get.

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
What you're looking for is very unusual. Knit ties are made completely different from regular ties. The closest in appearance to what you want is a grenadine tie. It's much more formal than a knit, but it might be the best thing to get.

I assumed that they were more common because of the tie I have. But it seems like you're quite right in saying that they're very unusual.

I've never had any particular interest to buy anything Tom Ford, but I've picked up two knit silks. He seems to be one of the only designers with enough pull, and interest, to get something like this made.

B&S saves the day ;-):

Lavender
IMG_0844.jpg

Navy / White
TFKNitties003-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads