• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UPDATE: (Posture and rushed pics vs.) First bespoke suit - please critique

essej

Reaction score
The cutaway vest and cuff makes me
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don Lee is the son of a family friend - and right now, I'm really really happy I didn't go to him.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GlenCoe
is this a joke?

+1

I think it actually may be. Note that the OP has not posted in this thread since starting it. I think the OP may be conducting an experiment here. And the results of the experiment are actually pretty interesting. The suit is clearly horrible, yet there are a lot of people praising it. Perhaps the OP is making fun of those people??

bigj93702

Reaction score
I don't think this is a joke, and the OP is probably overwhelmed by the negative comments. I would never post my picture here for all of the spite-filled critiques by some on this, and other similar threads.

My hats off to the OP.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigj93702
I don't think this is a joke, and the OP is probably overwhelmed by the negative comments. I would never post my picture here for all of the spite-filled critiques by some on this, and other similar threads.

My hats off to the OP.

+1. I doubt I'll ever post anything here and ask for feedback. Not that I'd be bothered by criticism, but I question how productive these suit critique threads are. For every helpful piece of constructive criticism given by someone like Despos (if a poster is lucky enough to get at least one helpful response), there are ten "OMG! That suit hurts my eyez, burn it with fire! LOLing at your ugly suit!" type responses.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
+1. I doubt I'll ever post anything here and ask for feedback. Not that I'd be bothered by criticism, but I question how productive these suit critique threads are. For every helpful piece of constructive criticism given by someone like Despos (if a poster is lucky enough to get at least one helpful response), there are ten "OMG! That suit hurts my eyez, burn it with fire! LOLing at your ugly suit!" type responses.

You can just as easily ignore these posts. In fact, by the language they are using, they make it easy for everyone else to identify and ignore them.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Just as bad are the "fits great" posts when the item in question does nothing of the sort.

As for the OP; Toronto is not that far from NYC, and there are some good tailors either residing or visiting there.

(Also, given your qualifications I hope you misspelt your username on purpose.)

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The amount of snark is in relation to the amount of LOL. If the suit has issues here and there, it is hammered out quite well. Here are the reasons for the snarkfest: 1) it was bespoke 2) Eric Glennie features 3) amount of praise increases snarkiness of more senior members. Each of these alone would not induce snark (well, maybe #2 alone is enough). I think the combination of 1 + 2 makes things snark-worthy. If a bespoke suit comes out bad, it is usually within reason. But this is a disaster. And given the nature of MC, this type of stuff doesn't really belong here to begin with. To the OP: I think you will get more praise when you post photos of your second order when the cuff cutout is more rounded.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cold war painter
Just as bad are the "fits great" posts when the item in question does nothing of the sort.

Agreed. Which is why I thought this may actually be a joke.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
The amount of snark is in relation to the amount of LOL. If the suit has issues here and there, it is hammered out quite well.

Here are the reasons for the snarkfest:
1) it was bespoke
2) Eric Glennie features
3) amount of praise increases snarkiness of more senior members.

Each of these alone would not induce snark (well, maybe #2 alone is enough).

I think the combination of 1 + 2 makes things snark-worthy. If a bespoke suit comes out bad, it is usually within reason. But this is a disaster. And given the nature of MC, this type of stuff doesn't really belong here to begin with.

To the OP: I think you will get more praise when you post photos of your second order when the cuff cutout is more rounded.

I get that you and other senior members think the suit is awful; however, for the benefit of junior members such as myself and the OP, be articulate enough to explain what is technically wrong with the suit and what can be done to improve it or future commissions. I don't claim to have the expertise of a trained tailor, so I have no problem with anyone who doesn't think the suit fits particularly well. But if most of you got your "senior" status by making thousands of posts of the quality I've seen in this thread, I'm quite certain your SF veteran status is meaningless, and you should not place so much stock in it.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit: Trousers look ok, maybe room for optimization at the seat
Coat: Shoulders look terrible (lots of bunching), sleeves are too long and look wrong, not sure if the "wrinkle" on the back is an issue or just a result of you standing unnaturally
Waistecoat: The belt buckle cout-out ruins it - terrible
Shirt: Proportions are good, but the watch cut-out is a disaster

Recommendation: Go back to you tailor and tell him to fix the shoulders and sleeves. Then go home take some gasoline pour it over shirt and waistcoat and burn them.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
be articulate enough to explain what is technically wrong with the suit and what can be done to improve it or future commissions.

Chris Despos already did that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics