• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unique Physique and Budget - Need Your Expertise

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
at 6'6" your cuffs should be at least 1 3/4 " or 2".
with broad shoulders, if you buy a suit or sport coat it will need to be taken in.
have the tailor leave extra fabric inside. when you gain weight that cloth can be let back out.
forget the black slacks unless the new job is bussing tables or cleaning restrooms.
use your cell phone to check time. concentrate on the wardrobe first, watch later.

Good idea on tailoring the jackets, assuming he's not trying to bulk up considerably.

Right about the black pants. Technically right about the cuffs, but even at Lands' End, maybe the cheapest decent source for the long-legged, 34x36 seems only available uncuffed, even in pleated form. Edit: Cabela's has them, though the look might not be right. Evan, where did you find your cuffed pants? They're 100% cotton? Any idea how tall the cuffs are? More colors are needed, regardless. Olive and other colors in the brown family. A pair of corduroys would add variety.

Options for watches, shoes (it sounds like both current pairs should go), belts, and other items that could be bought soon are much broader. A geographic location might yield some suggestions for physical stores.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Good idea on tailoring the jackets, assuming he's not trying to bulk up considerably.

Right about the black pants. Technically right about the cuffs, but even at Lands' End, maybe the cheapest decent source for the long-legged, 34x36 seems only available uncuffed, even in pleated form. Edit: Cabela's has them, though the look might not be right. Evan, where did you find your cuffed pants? They're 100% cotton? Any idea how tall the cuffs are? More colors are needed, regardless. Olive and other colors in the brown family. A pair of corduroys would add variety.

Options for watches, shoes (it sounds like both current pairs should go), belts, and other items that could be bought soon are much broader. A geographic location might yield some suggestions for physical stores.

They're Eddie Bauer pants. 34x34 actually, cuffed 1.5". They're 100% cotton. I think proportionally speaking, I have a longer torso and shorter legs than a perfectly proportionate 6'6" guy.

I live in Cedar Rapids, IA, though I'm in Minneapolis one day a week. Des Moines and Cedar Falls, Iowa are both easily accessible.

-Evan

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Minneapolis should have the most options. Do a search, and if you don't find anything helpful, start a thread about it.

Eddie Bauer pants for business casual - maybe they're okay. If they are too short, they are not. You list a 36" inseam on your profile, and 34" sounds quite short for someone who is 6'6". Maybe you are somewhere in between? Again, this is the kind of issue that's hard to address on a discussion forum. It will be interesting to see if you participate much in the future. Guys who come in with a low level of style knowledge don't seem to stick around, unless they can learn much from lurking and not feel overwhelmed by the volume and higher level of style knowledge.

Pylon

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert. This is all my personal and unworthy opinion. Take with more than a few grains of salt. I would take that $500 and get some basic building blocks that you can always add onto.
teacha.gif
Two pairs of shoes: a nice brown pair that perhaps you could double for wear with jeans, and a new pair of black dress lace-ups. Leather soles are nice. Get a pair of $20 rubbers to keep them protected during weather. SF will tell you to stay away from anything square-toed. A watch: Anything that's not a Timex, digital, or from Wal-Mart. If you can put a hundred or two into an entry level mechanical watch (search SF for threads on this) with a nice leather strap you're well on your way. Once you've started down this road, be warned... in a few years, you'll be drooling over IWCs, Pateks and perhaps even an A Lange & Sohne... Clean & New Accessories: A few new undershirts can go a long way to making you feel and look better. Especially if you have a lady friend and remove clothing at any time during that relationship. I can't imagine the turn off of taking off a nice shirt to reveal a tattered, stained or stretched-out old undershirt. They're cheap. Get a couple new ones and just trash all the old ones. I like Ermenegildo Zenga undershirts (for about $40 ea) but I bet you can find cheaper, yet still quality stuff. Along the same lines as a fresh undershirt, a fresh belt won't hurt either. No sense in buying beautiful trousers if you've got a tattered old belt on that you've worn every day for years. Because you're starting out (and likely some SF'ers will crucify me for suggesting this) I personally don't think you'd be doing too bad to just get a good brown and black belt at Marshalls or a department store sale for under $25 ea. Maybe throw a more casual raw leather one in there if that works with your jeans; but no need to splurge for this "stage 1" of the process, in my opinion. Shirts: I get the sense that you don't wear a suit or shirt & tie to work everyday. I don't know what you do wear to work (or if you're a student or whatever, what you wear for most days), but whatever the level of dress you wear on the majority of days in your week -- work on that. Bespoke shirts are not going to fit into your $500 Stage 1 budget (but would certainly fit well into your long-term plan). But if you've got a difficult body shape to fit, it's likely Off-the-rack (OTR)/Ready-to-wear (RTW) shirts are not fitting you superbly. Consider getting a few OTR shirts of decent quality and having a tailor adjust them to your body (take them in/shorten where necessary, etc.); or getting one or two MTM (made-to-measure) shirts from a local men's shop (not fully bespoke, but they'll fit you better than a standard shirt from Kohl's that's meant to fit 9 different body types within that neck size). Pants: Stop wearing pants with pleats. Especially khakis. They are not flattering your body. Look for flat-front pants. The versatility of one good suit: If you buy one decent suit you can make it work for a variety of things. You can wear the suit as a full ensemble, wear the jacket as a sportscoat with contrasting dress pants, wear the jacket with jeans for a more structured casual look, wear the pants with just a dress shirt. You can wear a dark suit several days in a row, mixing it up with a sweater underneath or different basic color dress shirts and ties and it won't look like you're wearing the same clothes day-after-day (no really!). Though you'll have to shop well for your price range, and avoid most mall stores where salesmen couldn't properly fit anything. No sense in spending any money on a crappy suit that's too wide in the shoulders and fits you like a burlap sack; if you're stuck with that option, go with no suit at all for now. However far your $500 gets you into the basic buildblocks, great. It's a start. You can also work on other ends of upgrading your appearance without significant investment, including grooming and lifestyle habits. If you have an extra ten spot burning in your pocket, a subscription to Esquire or GQ wouldn't hurt. Oh, and pay your internet bill so you can keep coming back to SF and drool over everyone else's awesome stuff.
laugh.gif

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Thanks for such a thorough and well thought out reply! You're really speaking my language. I'm curious what responses people have to your suggestions?

-Evan

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Length often indicates some personal opinion, i.e., not necessarily what's best for the audience. It's not a bad idea to get new undershirts, but neither is it automatically necessary. It definitely isn't necessary to replace pants just because they are pleated. Cuffed is a good idea, and with cuffs usually go pleats. Besides, pleats might disguise long, thin legs better than 'roomy' plain-front pants do. You should not wear a suit (or tailored jacket) several days in a row, if only for cleanliness and wear and tear; many in the forum already know that.

Dress shirts - some elaboration. You do need some in white and light blue, solid and patterned (but not striped without a jacket for a tall, slim person), some with button-down collars. You probably need other dress shirts, but particulars depend on your coloring and circumstances. To recommend a collar shape without knowing your face shape would be rash.

Seriously, if you don't want to heavily learn by lurking and occasionally asking questions, you should get a consultation. People aren't going to try hard to help you - for starters, there's not much in it for them.

Pylon

Reaction score
Length often indicates some personal opinion, i.e., not necessarily what's best for the audience.
I'm pretty sure I spent the first three sentences of my post indicating that my post is nowhere near something that is automatic, necessary, and nothing more than my opinion. But frankly, isn't that what all of our styles, musings about clothes and manhood and all advice is? Opinion? Even what some of us consider to be irrefutable style law, others consider a mere suggestion while others a prohibition. The whole idea of style and fashion in general is opinion; that's what makes it fun and unique. There will be as many differing opinions on what this young man should do with his $500 as there are SF members and I think that's what's great. But to insinuate that members who share at length indicates personal opinion? Uh... all posts here indicate personal opinion. What's "best for the audience" is whatever he decides he's most comfortable with and can actually attain.
You should not wear a suit (or tailored jacket) several days in a row, if only for cleanliness and wear and tear; many in the forum already know that.
Except that we're not talking Kitons or RLPLs here. If the guy can slip a suit into his initial budget so he has one go-to suit for weddings, funerals, holiday parties and interviews so be it - we all start somewhere. When I graduated college, I got one suit. I wore it for a lot of interviews and networking functions. It's all I could afford but it did the job for the few months until I could buy a second suit. I'm pretty sure that it didn't fall apart at the seams nor was my suit so fatigued it just couldn't get out of bed in the morning. The kid's gotta start out somewhere, right? When he gets a first great-fitting suit, it's probably going to be doing extra duty for a little while. Be realistic.
Seriously, if you don't want to heavily learn by lurking and occasionally asking questions, you should get a consultation. People aren't going to try hard to help you - for starters, there's not much in it for them.
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the post suggesting that posters who share their opinion freely are the ones of whose opinions and ulterior motives you should be weary, coming from the guy who's selling the same advice? So... where can I get one of these consultations?
wink.gif
Ahheck01, don't be discouraged. There's some awesomely dressed posters on this board (I am not one of them, I am in the early stages of learning like you), many of whom (be weary!) are sharing their experiences and opinions here. You'll find hundreds of different styles, budgets and ideas. Take advantage of that free advice. Check out the "What are you wearing today" threads, see what strikes your eye, take mental notes, and don't take any one person's advice for gospel.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Here are a few pics that will give you a better idea of my body shape/size and face/head shape: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...ec&id=71801532 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0b&id=71801532 (Far Right) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...12&id=71801532 (Taking picture) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0b&id=71801532 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...cd&id=71801532 (guy on bottom right) Sorry they're not so great - I'm usually the guy behind the camera. Okay, now a few questions: Could you guys post some pictures of some nice brown shoes that are versatile, go with sharp jeans, kahki's, etc? Is it possible to find some that aren't way over $100? I'd let to basically set up a few full "outfits" or shirt/pants/shoes/belt combinations that I can put together based off of recommendations from you guys. My goal is the most versatile wardrobe with the least amount of upfront cash - something that I can build on, but not that looks like I wear the same outfit every other day. I'm going to eventually fill this out, and any specific help to do so is much appreciated. Feel free to suggest things I already have, or things that are cheap but will do for now, or things that you feel are a highly suggested investment, even for a 22 year old young professional. Brown Shoes: Black Shoes: Button-Down Shirts (two to four?): Pants (two or three pair?): Socks: Watch: Belt(s): Winter Coat (include scarf or whatever else I should have for winter):

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pylon
I'm pretty sure I spent the first three sentences of my post indicating that my post is nowhere near something that is automatic, necessary, and nothing more than my opinion...

Sorry, missed that.

But to insinuate that members who share at length indicates personal opinion? Uh... all posts here indicate personal opinion. What's "best for the audience" is whatever he decides he's most comfortable with and can actually attain.
True on the second point. The length-opinion thing probably also is true, unless one is copying from a good text
smile.gif

Except that we're not talking Kitons or RLPLs here. If the guy can slip a suit into his initial budget so he has one go-to suit for weddings, funerals, holiday parties and interviews so be it - we all start somewhere. When I graduated college, I got one suit. I wore it for a lot of interviews and networking functions. It's all I could afford but it did the job for the few months until I could buy a second suit. I'm pretty sure that it didn't fall apart at the seams nor was my suit so fatigued it just couldn't get out of bed in the morning.
He never said he needed to wear a suit daily and his budget should allow for more than one suit if it's that important, so all that is irrelevant. Though it might be possible to disguise the fact that one is wearing a suit too often and for its lifespan to not be cut very short, extra care would have to be taken to prevent odor, which would be socially disastrous.

The kid's gotta start out somewhere, right? When he gets a first great-fitting suit, it's probably going to be doing extra duty for a little while. Be realistic.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in the post suggesting that posters who share their opinion freely are the ones of whose opinions and ulterior motives you should be weary, coming from the guy who's selling the same advice? So... where can I get one of these consultations?
wink.gif
That would only make you unduly suspicious of image consulting. It's not about a few paragraphs of amateruish opinion (which, in forums, usually one can assume to be the case). Also, it's based on much more information than anyone would convey in a public forum. (If anyone is reading, the typical client seems to take about an hour to fill in that information.) People should stop bashing things they don't understand.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahheck01
Here are a few pics that will give you a better idea of my body shape/size and face/head shape:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...ec&id=71801532

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0b&id=71801532 (Far Right)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...12&id=71801532 (Taking picture)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0b&id=71801532

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...cd&id=71801532 (guy on bottom right)

Sorry they're not so great - I'm usually the guy behind the camera.

Okay, now a few questions:

Could you guys post some pictures of some nice brown shoes that are versatile, go with sharp jeans, kahki's, etc? Is it possible to find some that aren't way over $100?

I'd let to basically set up a few full "outfits" or shirt/pants/shoes/belt combinations that I can put together based off of recommendations from you guys. My goal is the most versatile wardrobe with the least amount of upfront cash - something that I can build on, but not that looks like I wear the same outfit every other day.

I'm going to eventually fill this out, and any specific help to do so is much appreciated. Feel free to suggest things I already have, or things that are cheap but will do for now, or things that you feel are a highly suggested investment, even for a 22 year old young professional.

Brown Shoes:

Black Shoes:

Button-Down Shirts (two to four?):

Pants (two or three pair?):

Socks:

Watch:

Belt(s):

Winter Coat (include scarf or whatever else I should have for winter):

Pictures not quite good enough for a consultation. Athletic-looking tall guy rather than a tall, skinny guy. Jeans worn surprisingly long, maybe a bit too long. Your list? Nobody has filled it out because you're asking for a lot, some of which (socks) hardly matters and some of which has been asked many times before (there's no such thing as a good, cheap shoe that gets worn almost every day). Again, help yourself, don't ask too many questions at once.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads