• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm looking to have 3 suits made: charcoal, mid to light grey, and midnight to dark navy for year round wear. I'm choosing between Zegna Trofeo, 15milmil, and Carlo Barbera 150s. Which fabric should I get? I'd like for the suits to last 10-15 years and will be wearing them about 3 times a month. Also, how much fabric should I get to make the suit along with an extra pair of pants? I'm 5'10 and 170 pounds.

Lastly, how much fabric should I get for a sportcoat with 2 patch pockets? Obviously I'd like for there to be pattern matching.

Thanks in advance gentlemen!

I really don't want to come in and be negative, but I would suggest you rethink the idea of a suit lasting fifteen years. Your body and taste will change and this is, in my experience, the main reason to get rid of tailored clothing. It also seems unlikely that you will wear out a suit in ten years if you only wear it three times a month, unless you are like me and you destroy your trousers in the crotch or choose a very delicate fabric.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_1839.JPG
I was wearing this suit last week, it was made 9 years ago, and I gained more than 20lbs since then.

It still look good I think:bigstar:
but if you want it last for 10 to 15years, I think you better use English cloth

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 952273 I was wearing this suit last week, it was made 9 years ago, and I gained more than 20lbs since then.

It still look good I think:bigstar:
but if you want it last for 10 to 15years, I think you better use English cloth
English cloth like Lessers or Smiths is generally recommended for longevity. But to be fair, I have found Zegna 15 mil mil and Carlo Barbera cloth to be very durable. They have a much different feel from English cloth, but I like them for different reasons. I even have a suit made from LP Super 150s worsted with a flannel finish that is still going strong after 10 years.

TOBestWR

Reaction score
So I continued my search for a brown summer sportcoat and looked at these 2 Ariston fabrics. I really like the first one. What do you think about them

P016-08.jpg
P045-10.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The first is potentially very nice.

OxfordDon

Reaction score
Good quality mercerised Irish linen of 250-350 g is pretty robust; it will handle regular heavy wear and many, many washes for many years if washed in cold water. The usual suspects (W. Bill, Hanna, Ulster Weavers) all have good cloth of this type. I have heavyweight linen trousers, which are more or less heavy canvas, and they are great for spring and autumn casual wear, and heavyweight plain weave linen when well washed makes a great barong/shirt jacket for use without a singlet in even hot and humid weather.

You would wash linen trousers like you would cotton ones?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on the construction. If put together with waistband tape, lining etc, then no. If more simply constructed, then washing in cold water is fine.
I have washed wool pants with lining and construction (disclaimer bring im nuts) but if you account for shrinkage and you know how to press your pants I think you would be fine...but I’m personally too cheapskate to go to the cleaners :)

Simon A

Reaction score
Be aware that if you got wash linen there's a good chance it'll run in the wash.

Unlikely if washed in cold water. People have been washing dyed linen with soap and water in my country for 35,000 years. If it was that susceptible to dye leaching during the wash, our prehistoric forebears would not have bothered to dye it. Linen is even less likely to run in the wash if mercerised, which improves dye uptake and colour fastness; the process has been designed to reduce the risk of this phenomenon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads