• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
What do you guys think about wearing a “lighter” jacket with a heavier pair of trousers? I’ve been eyeing a rather nice wool/cashmere fabric from Rogna, which I’ve been thinking of using to make a jacket. It’s around 330g. My flannel trousers I have (and which I’ve been thinking of pairing with the jacket) are heavier (some around 370g and some 450g). Would it be odd to make that kind of pairing?
No, that would be perfectly fine, particularly given that the jacket is wool/cashmere. If you were pairing a linen jacket with flannel then it would look odd.

camez_

Reaction score
Fantastic! Thanks for the pictures.

I love the reverse stripe. I'm looking forward to picking up my finished LL reverse stripe suit tomorrow (fingers crossed). Hardy Minis has some but the stripes could be a bit wider like the LL version.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by 1BPL? 1 button ...?

1 button, peak lapel

JHWilliams

Reaction score
My objection to super 130s / 120s isn’t necessarily durability (which it is when you get up to super 180s), but its identity: is it a summer suit? Or a winter suit?

Often times, if it’s lightweight (summer) it does not breath enough for summer. Whereas if it’s for winter, it’s too light for walking around outside.

On a note about lightweight, I really hate the wrinkles that emerge too. Whereas with heavier fabrics, the wrinkles fall out nicely & I prefer mohair blends / frescos for summer suits.
I find the super 120’s-super 150’s to work well in autumn, spring, and early winter.

I have never ventured into super 180’s, dare I say Super 200’s. Genesis from Minnis is an interesting read. I wonder if it wrinkles when you breathe.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dugdale have a good range in their Invincible book, from 480-600g. H.E. Box have 990g Cavalry Twills, and Farnhill & Hirst have a version at 1000g.

I hadn't thought the weight could be that heavy. I have a pair of trousers in grey cavalry twill, but honestly I can't remember the weight, would guess more 500/600g though.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@tim_horton @jonathanS do y'all ever use mohair blends for odd trousers? I've not, but, in speaking only to the Minnis Fresco & mohair blended fresco, I've found the mohair to be dramatically better* in regards to wrinkle resistance, and would be curious to at least consider using mohair fabric for odd trews.

@Simon A do you by chance have links for either of the super heavyweights?

*regular Fresco is still plenty good on this front, admittedly.

Fad P

Reaction score
I'm trying to source the Cacciopolli 580329 (5803 Worsted & Flannels), but my tailor can't get it from his supplier. Do you know if it has been discontinued, or if Cacciopolli simply changed the name/number? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

CLH03

Reaction score
@tim_horton @jonathanS do y'all ever use mohair blends for odd trousers? I've not, but, in speaking only to the Minnis Fresco & mohair blended fresco, I've found the mohair to be dramatically better* in regards to wrinkle resistance, and would be curious to at least consider using mohair fabric for odd trews.

@Simon A do you by chance have links for either of the super heavyweights?

*regular Fresco is still plenty good on this front, admittedly.
How would you describe the difference between the mohair fresco and the regular fresco? I’ve been debating between the two, for a 3 season warmer weather suit.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you describe the difference between the mohair fresco and the regular fresco? I’ve been debating between the two, for a 3 season warmer weather suit.
Mohair is slicker looking and grittier feeling. Holds a better crease/sheds wrinkles better, in my opinion.
All things being equal, I'd go mohair

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads