• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sfba

Reaction score
What is the workhorse worsted king these days in the 12/13 oz category? Feel free to split hairs between the usual suspects!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Used to be a matter of taste between Lesser 13 and Botany. Now it seems that standards have slipped. Whether that brings previous second choices to the fore, or pushes people to limited-run premium stuff is an interesting question.

London Lounge has done a few excellent 13oz classics. Taylor & Lodge, part of the Lesser family, has a small book of evergreens, most of which include Golden Bale wool. And Lesser's own Golden Bale offerings are still out there, as are the various Escorial options.

camez_

Reaction score
What is the workhorse worsted king these days in the 12/13 oz category? Feel free to split hairs between the usual suspects!

let's make a list:

standeven - british classic
dugdale - royal classic vantage / english & town classics
Drapers - superbio and beausoleil (ex five stars)
holland & sherry - intercity / city of london
fox bros - worsted classics
hfw - classic
schofield & smith - westminster
bateman ogden - westminster II & york (both 14oz tho) as they don't have a 12/13oz range?!
smith woolens - botany
harrison's - oyster

I surely have forgotten some, but this is the essential list.

I'm a big fan of Standeven's, drapers' and H&S' cloth, so I'm a bit biased
dry hand, good drape, everything you could ask for

botany is a bit softer to the hand iirc

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
let's make a list:

hfw - classic
bateman ogden - westminster II & york (both 14oz tho)
smith woolens - botany
harrison's - oyster

I'm a big fan of Standeven's and H&S' cloth, so I'm a bit biased

Would dormieul krono 12 fall in that too?

Also, standeven heritage twist, although that may be closer to 14oz. Is the fox worsted classics their London shrunk? I like those 2.

camez_

Reaction score
Would dormieul krono 12 fall in that too?

Also, standeven heritage twist, although that may be closer to 14oz. Is the fox worsted classics their London shrunk? I like those 2.

there is only a krono 11 iirc but that's 11oz/300g?

yes, heritage twist is superb but a bit heavier (400g/14oz)

Actually, I only listed the ranges that I handled myself and can say something about

Big Phil

Reaction score
Tons. Some of the usual suspects are Fresco (Minnis), 4-Ply (Drapers/VBC), Fox Air, Standeven Explorer.
If you're amenable to a bit of sheen, look for something with some mohair in it. Minnis has some options in their Fresco book. I have a few suits in it, and I find it wears quite nicely, relative to their plain, 100% wool fresco. Not demonstrably hotter, in my opinion. But, more rigid, so take that into account.
Found this supersonic fabric which seems to be a great match for what I’m looking for. Saw it in person and feels breathable and light. Any thoughts on supersonic by chance?

IMG_3874.jpeg

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
let's make a list:

hfw - classic
bateman ogden - westminster II & york (both 14oz tho) as they don't have a 12/13oz range?!
smith woolens - botany
harrison's - oyster

Also Drapers Superbio.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the difference between the old 5-stars book and the modern Superbio is?

Seems to be the modern version of the book, but not sure if anything else changed beside the name.

Have a 5 stars suit from Hemrajani, love the cloth
It’s just rebranded.

I was curious about five star, I’ve never seen the book. Is it a worsted? Or is it a worsted flannel? I have an old five star back when Carlo Barbara made it that is a worsted flannel (and awesome fabric). So I was curious about other’s experience with the fabric.

kid1002

Reaction score
It’s just rebranded.

I was curious about five star, I’ve never seen the book. Is it a worsted? Or is it a worsted flannel? I have an old five star back when Carlo Barbara made it that is a worsted flannel (and awesome fabric). So I was curious about other’s experience with the fabric.
The Five Star bunch from Drapers is worsted.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
let's make a list:

hfw - classic
smith woolens - botany
harrison's - oyster

This is a solid and comprehensive list. The only addition that I can think of is “superbio and beausoleil” from drapers/vbc. It’s essentially the updated 13oz 5 star bunch(discontinued).

Overall, once fully updated, the list should be bookmarked. Shoutout to @camez_

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads