• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really nice!

Taking your overcoat... for a stroll, or you just bought it?

Cheers,

Dimitris
Took it for a stroll at the local thrift store a few months ago.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For large pattern format coatings, I like the Marling & Evans Natural collection. The coatings are 720g but especially warm due to their thickness. This is one I made in a check. There are herringbones as well. You can contact them via their IG: https://www.instagram.com/marlingandevans/?hl=en

Attachments

• IMG_6874.JPG
    IMG_6874.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 193

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay so this is a question that's already most likely beaten to death in this thread but here I go.

I am planning to commission a business suit, something quite sombre and conservative, to be made by Whitcomb & Shaftesbury.

I am looking for top-quality dark navy cloth recommendations, something hard-wearing, to be worn in the autumn/winter/spring here in the UK. I was thinking c.13oz is a good all-around weight for this purpose.

I've done some digging in the thread and I've identified a few potential candidates:

- Lesser's No.303 13oz
- Smith's Botany 12/13 oz
- Harrison's Oyster 13oz
- Minnis Classic II / Crown Classic

I haven't seen samples in person yet so I don't have any real impressions of either but instinctively I've been leaning towards the Lesser's 13oz.

I'd be really grateful for some first-hand impressions and, of course, any other advice - have I missed something else that's worthwhile?

Some great options there. Not sure if Lesser is still as good as it was. Somehow, in the last ten years whenever I have wanted a mid-weight conservative business suit I have ended up with Botany. And they have all been great

So I went with Harrison's Oyster 77136. It ultimately came down to colour.

I really loved the handle and matte finish on the Lesser but the shade of navy was a bit too dark. Conversely, I really enjoyed the fine finish of the Botany but this was a shade too light for my liking.

The Oyster has a slightly more pronounced twill and a little bit more lustre but colour-wise it was the closest to what I was imagining.

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

Lighting is inconsistent between the shots.

Not sure if I made the right call, but I guess one can't really go wrong with either option here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had anything made up in the dupioni in the Black Tie book from H&S who can share feedback on how it tailored/wears?
E3DC555C-BD99-4F0D-8E6A-552E144AA5FE.jpeg

Working through options for a DB shawl dinner jacket.

LP has an option in Mare as well but it looks less slubby/interesting.
1AD21CC1-AB6C-4CD5-8037-CAE258D7F8BF.jpeg

There’s also a fairly slubby WSL in the Caccioppoli suit bunch for this summer that they just released in ivory as well that’s sort of in between the two.

Dupioni is the leader in the clubhouse but a little skeptical of the weight.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you guys can help me out with Fox hopsacks, as I'm about to commission a dark navy blazer and have easy access to Fox. Working off the Merchant Fox website, it seems like Fox has three different weights/qualities of hopsack:

1. 450/480g vintage Connoiseur's hopsack which is available online only in Midnight;
2. 400/430g Worsted Classics hopsack which is available in Dark Navy;
3. 320/350g Fox Sport hopsack which is available online in Midnight (FS26) and Bright Navy (FS28), though I've seen the book and I know Dark Navy exists as well. (FS27)

I want something year-round except dead of summer and I'm thinking Fox Sport is going to be too light at 320/350, so that leaves the 450/480 or 400/430 options. I'm inclined toward the heavier 450/480 option but am concerned midnight is going to be too dark for my tastes. I think this Dalcuore is the 450g midnight and that is very dark:
IMG_3034%20copy-700x700.jpg

So: does anyone know if there's a more traditional dark navy option available at 450/480g? Alternatively, does anyone have experience with the worsted classics option at 400/430g? Any comparisons between the two?

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you guys can help me out with Fox hopsacks, as I'm about to commission a dark navy blazer and have easy access to Fox. Working off the Merchant Fox website, it seems like Fox has three different weights/qualities of hopsack:

1. 450/480g vintage Connoiseur's hopsack which is available online only in Midnight;
3. 320/350g Fox Sport hopsack which is available online in Midnight (FS26) and Bright Navy (FS28), though I've seen the book and I know Dark Navy exists as well. (FS27)

I want something year-round except dead of summer and I'm thinking Fox Sport is going to be too light at 320/350, so that leaves the 450/480 or 400/430 options. I'm inclined toward the heavier 450/480 option but am concerned midnight is going to be too dark for my tastes. I think this Dalcuore is the 450g midnight and that is very dark:

So: does anyone know if there's a more traditional dark navy option available at 450/480g? Alternatively, does anyone have experience with the worsted classics option at 400/430g? Any comparisons between the two?

I don't think you can go wrong with the midnight especially if you are doing brass buttons.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had anything made up in the dupioni in the Black Tie book from H&S who can share feedback on how it tailored/wears? View attachment 1895455
Working through options for a DB shawl dinner jacket.

LP has an option in Mare as well but it looks less slubby/interesting. View attachment 1895457

There’s also a fairly slubby WSL in the Caccioppoli suit bunch for this summer that they just released in ivory as well that’s sort of in between the two.

Dupioni is the leader in the clubhouse but a little skeptical of the weight.
I don't have any personal experience with the H&S fabric, but I think your skepticism is justified. 125 gm/4 oz seems awfully light. The Scabal version is more than double the weight.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a swatch of the heritage hopsack (maybe its been renamed 'connoisseur' in the past couple of years) and it is quite dark.

I know its not Fox, but I recently purchased a length of Taylor and Lodge Archive Blazer hopsack in dark navy at 420g/m. It has a nice dark color without coming off as black like a midnight tuxedo fabric. Also, its roughly half the price of Fox when ordering from the Merchant Fox website.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a swatch of the heritage hopsack (maybe its been renamed 'connoisseur' in the past couple of years) and it is quite dark.

I know its not Fox, but I recently purchased a length of Taylor and Lodge Archive Blazer hopsack in dark navy at 420g/m. It has a nice dark color without coming off as black like a midnight tuxedo fabric. Also, its roughly half the price of Fox when ordering from the Merchant Fox website.
Thanks! I agree Fox is pricey but it's easily available through my tailor for much cheaper, so that's why I landed on that as opposed to the Taylor & Lodge. I'm certainly open to to the T&L.

Any chance you could post a photo of the Fox heritage hopsack against the Taylor & Lodge dark navy? I have a feeling that midnight Fox is just going to be too damn dark for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads