• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another liability arrived yesterday evening

14/15 oz vintage marling & evans slate blue (faded) glen check
B72BD160-3590-4ADE-8C70-BB672E388012.jpeg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tbh, I prefer not to use Steven for a classic Scholte drape coat. I would rather use Steed or Tom Mahon.
That was my reasoning above for why I would choose Mahon over Steed & Hitchcock (from photos). But, no hands on experience with drape. Also, wouldn't do A&S either.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think Mahon’s shoulders are Lord awful.

I didn’t notice the shoulders until you mentioned it 😂😂😂😂

The shoulders on his coats seem to be cut too close to the actual shoulder. Combined with the heavy chest drape it seems to throw off the symmetry of coat.

JHWilliams

Reaction score

The shoulders on his coats seem to be cut too close to the actual shoulder. Combined with the heavy chest drape it seems to throw off the symmetry of coat.

Correct. Mahon is the last of the last I would consider for the money.

undertheskin

Reaction score

do you mind to show some of his work where you think he cuts a narrow shoulder? i couldn't find any..
also chest drape seems to be less apparent than on steed?
i am genuinely curious ..

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Having tried all four of these shops, I think you need to be careful about generalizations from photos.

If there is one worth hanging onto, it is that many cutters do best making for someone of their own build. After all, a jacket is an excercise in flattery and evasion of defects. They will be most empathetic to people with familiar challenges. Still, you have to try it out and see.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you mind to show some of his work where you think he cuts a narrow shoulder? i couldn't find any..
also chest drape seems to be less apparent than on steed?
i am genuinely curious ..

from the pictures and videos of Tom’s work, what is see specifically from the examples is that he cut the shoulders proportionally narrow in reference to the chest. More of an extended shoulder can easily cure that. This has an effect of making the chest are more prominent. If I were to have a coat made by him I would ask for slightly more shoulder extension.

Here are some examples although there aren’t a lot of pictures on ig.
523C24F9-A2AB-4C62-A63B-C6797FAF945B.jpeg
677FCD4C-5C69-4149-9AC9-BD76326B7065.jpeg
7450CE99-DACA-4198-9AE0-56E675940F6A.jpeg
C6EEA314-20EB-4EDB-A64F-AC8ACA46147E.jpeg
CC6E492D-D137-463C-A2A4-80CA9B7D8D40.jpeg
F6D07FC0-75D6-4F0B-89D0-28647D30BBFA.jpeg
However, I do agree with @Concordia and it’s not fair of me to make such generalizations about a tailor’s work. Given the circumstances of a client’s particular build and demands.

undertheskin

Reaction score
from the pictures and videos of Tom’s work, what is see specifically from the examples is that he cut the shoulders proportionally narrow in reference to the chest. More of an extended shoulder can easily cure that. This has an effect of making the chest are more prominent. If I were to have a coat made by him I would ask for slightly more shoulder extension.

Here are some examples although there aren’t a lot of pictures on ig. View attachment 1793577 However, I do agree with @Concordia and it’s not fair of me to make such generalizations about a tailor’s work. Given the circumstances of a client’s particular build and demands.

i can see a quite narrow shoulder on pic#4
but not on the others and also not on his IG vids.

furthermore what works for one may not work for an another + we don't know specific customer requests.
generalization based on IRL examples is questionable already and basically impossible from pictures...

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
furthermore what works for one may not work for an another + we don't know specific customer requests.
generalization based on IRL examples is questionable already and basically impossible from pictures...

i agree, as mentioned before it was not fair of me to make generalizations based on a few examples.

JHWilliams

Reaction score

Here are some examples although there aren’t a lot of pictures on ig. View attachment 1793574 View attachment 1793575 View attachment 1793576 View attachment 1793577 View attachment 1793578 View attachment 1793579 However, I do agree with @Concordia and it’s not fair of me to make such generalizations about a tailor’s work. Given the circumstances of a client’s particular build and demands.

These photographs all speak to my point. I’m sure he is fine gentleman and tailor, I just think the shoulders are not flattering on any of his jackets

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neapolitan style 3-2 roll or 2 button patch pocket jacket with a set of matching trousers. 70% sport jacket 30% suit.

I think both (suit and sport coat) will look smashing in the fabric.

I like to get suits in more "casual" fabrics made with patch pockets, so there's that separate sport coat option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads