• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What’s the most durable fabric for a suit? Something that will last many years? Are heavier weights tougher than lighter weights?

Very broadly speaking, I think English cloths tend to last longer than Italian ones. But it's hard to generalize and it's always better to ask your tailor, given his or her experience seeing things come back into the shop.

Jeffery has a nice post here about the idea that Super 100s cloths aren't durable, for example. Of all the "rules of thumb" I've seen, "don't buy Super 100s" is perhaps the most common. And even then, it's not always true.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very broadly speaking, I think English cloths tend to last longer than Italian ones. But it's hard to generalize and it's always better to ask your tailor, given his or her experience seeing things come back into the shop.

Jeffery has a nice post here about the idea that Super 100s cloths aren't durable, for example. Of all the "rules of thumb" I've seen, "don't buy Super 100s" is perhaps the most common. And even then, it's not always true.

That was my own personal suit worn for around 20 years

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was my own personal suit worn for around 20 years

Amazing how well that cloth has held up. I would ask which mill or merchant it was from but perhaps given the time passed, it may not be relevant. Simply put though, do they still make cloth with this kind of durability? And if so, who makes it?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Amazing how well that cloth has held up. I would ask which mill or merchant it was from but perhaps given the time passed, it may not be relevant. Simply put though, do they still make cloth with this kind of durability? And if so, who makes it?
All I remember is the cloth came from from Gladson but not sure of the mill. Remember buying to sample a new cloth they would carry. 150's were new without any history at the time. That has been my method to learn about a cloth. Make up a cloth for myself so I would know first hand how it tailors and wears. If I like it, I recommend to clients.

Jeffery also dissected the suit as he has done with others. You can read his review of the tailoring on his site.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Despos

Is there any particular advantage to having the selvedge of the cloth (the part with the labeling or branding) running down the lapel seam? It looked cool in basted fitting photos, but the edge has different characteristics than than the cloth. One of my concerns might be how it holds a stitch, how it does if you want a swelled edge, etc

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents...question about the right shade of navy for a spring-summer blazer.

As to source, my initial inclination is to go with Finmeresco based on earlier discussion. The question now is to find the right color/tone, something suitably "formal", but a touch lighter, brighter than somber navy for suiting or a navy coat for winter.

I would be happy for suggestions on cloth that you have used that looks suitably alive and "bright" without losing the association with navy.

saw this finmeresco 4-ply the other day that I’m eyeing up for a Neapolitan-style blazer. It’s one shade lighter/blue-er than a traditional navy

Attachments

• 2C8DA6C4-7EB3-4A2B-8EF4-7D9D47E63FFF.jpeg
    2C8DA6C4-7EB3-4A2B-8EF4-7D9D47E63FFF.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 76

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
saw this finmeresco 4-ply the other day that I’m eyeing up for a Neapolitan-style blazer. It’s one shade lighter/blue-er than a traditional navy

Thanks! Should be airy, but how does 13oz finmeresco wear in the summer?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Despos

Is there any particular advantage to having the selvedge of the cloth (the part with the labeling or branding) running down the lapel seam? It looked cool in basted fitting photos, but the edge has different characteristics than than the cloth. One of my concerns might be how it holds a stitch, how it does if you want a swelled edge, etc
No advantage, maybe a disadvantage. The selvedge acts as a binder to stabilize the cloth and prevent stretching. It doesn't stretch or shrink or share the same characteristics as the cloth. It would probably cause the edges to pucker if it was sewn into the lapels. Edge tape is a better choice if you want a swelled edge.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is no way to universally answer this. Have clients who think 9 ounce cloth is a winter weight or others that are fine wearing 12 ounce cloth is summer. If you have experience with various cloth weights you know what you can tolerate. If you want a year round cloth you have to compromise. If the cloth is comfortable in cooler weather it is not going to feel as nice as a lighter weight would in the heat/humidity of summer. If the cloth works in summer it will run cool in winter months. Not one cloth works for both extremes of heat to cold.
The 13 ounce finmeresco will wear heavier than the 9 ounce. If it will be comfortable in summer temps is very much up to the individual. I advise clients after the basics are in your wardrobe to get a piece or two specific to summer temps and the same for winter.
Not sure if this addresses/answers your question.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i don’t have anything made from that fabric yet, but I do have a pair of pants in VBC 13oz 4-ply. It has some heft and drapes nicely, but the open weave allows the breeze to flow through, and if you hold it up to the light you can almost see through it. I haven’t had them long enough to wear in the spring/summer, but there has certainly been some cold/windy days where the pants showcased how the breeze can keep them cool despite the weight.

that being said I’d echo Despo’s sentiments above, it’s going to be a factor of how hot you run, what the climate is, how much you like/dislike hefty fabric

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So far my Lesser 16 seems to be the winner. It is very comparable to like weaves in P&B Universal, which are also heavy clothes. Like Despos suit I have had linings **** the bed and had them redone.

I haven't used finmeresco, but I have a lot of suits in 8/9oz Minnis. I have had one in 10oz Minnis as well. In my opinion there is a big difference in coolness of the 8/9oz to the 10oz once the humidity kicks up. I'm wearing full suits less in the summers than I used to (non-work days) so I am buying brands more based on the shade of the particular summer cloth rather than the availability of certain weights across brands. Wearing anything in the summer just plain sucks.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not bad, but better if there is a breeze and you can recharge in cool rooms once in a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads