• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

Still awaiting pictures of the green fresco

Re: two pants, I never do this. Your taste is more likely to change before the pants wear out or, more likely, your desire to get a new suit for some subjective reason is likely to flare up before they wear out.

As mentioned above, it is a Rangoon and not a Fresco.

Pics will be posted when I get them.

bertie

Reaction score

I think we established why we spontaneously desire new suits: vanity My vanity is far speedier than a pair of pants' rate of wearing out......

That is a great line and holds a lot of truth (to be clear - in general and not referring to you specifically)

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Re: two pants, I never do this. Your taste is more likely to change before the pants wear out or, more likely, your desire to get a new suit for some subjective reason is likely to flare up before they wear out.

That hasn't been my experience with certain woolens. Those can easily wear through after a few years. I'd like to make a suit last longer than that, even if I am to get a new suit.

Does linen wear through as easily, however? In the time that I've worn through a couple of flannels now, my linens are still going strong, but I also don't keep a tally on how frequently I wear either.

bertie

Reaction score
I have had cheap linen pants that lasted a long time. The only reason I tossed them was they simply lost all their shape and looked liked pajamas. It would be good to hear from others on their experience with the longevity of linen for suiting.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you are getting some fancy linen, but the material is exceptionally hardy and will soften over time. Indeed, this is desirable and the point -- like jeans. Unless you are living in one linen suit, I don't think it should wear away like your flannels. If it's an exceptionally smooth, 'hard' linen, it may develop a sheen in spots (maybe), but I can't say I would give it a second thought when ordering a coat and pants. My point above is that you will find the process of buying clothing positively flies when you aren't constantly second-guessing yourself about things like this, or poring over swatch samples by lamplight, etc. It's not always necessary to kick the tires. At the very least you will sleep more soundly if you throw caution to the wind. But I know that checking everything in triplicate is the igent way.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I was just inspecting some thick linen sheets that are six years old and have been used and abused over that time, laundered, dried with heat, etc., etc., and they are free of any signs of wear, other than that they have developed a silken smoothness. I want a change of pace so I'll be cutting them up to serve as pillowcases and general purpose rags, etc, but they could go another 10 years (at least) if desired.

This is for fairly middle of the road linen, btw. I can't vouchsafe that if you are getting some silk blended super 1 millions linen it won't turn into dust.

bertie

Reaction score

Not sure if you are getting some fancy linen, but the material is exceptionally hardy and will soften over time. Indeed, this is desirable and the point -- like jeans. Unless you are living in one linen suit, I don't think it should wear away like your flannels. If it's an exceptionally smooth, 'hard' linen, it may develop a sheen in spots (maybe), but I can't say I would give it a second thought when ordering a coat and pants. My point above is that you will find the process of buying clothing positively flies when you aren't constantly second-guessing yourself about things like this, or poring over swatch samples by lamplight, etc. It's not always necessary to kick the tires. At the very least you will sleep more soundly if you throw caution to the wind. But I know that checking everything in triplicate is the igent way.

Well - sometimes budget considerations come into play, especially with commissioned clothing

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Smith & Co STEADFAST? 14/15 oz

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Never heard that name but I do have several pieces of Smith 15. Same stuff? Very tough worsted, comparable to Lesser 16, highly recommended.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Possibly - looks to be a "new" line for them. Mostly tough worsted and a few open weaves. Only blues and grays.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
sounds the same.

The older 15s did not have their own book. There was rather this one massive book marked "flannel" that was, at most, 20% flannel and the rest was worsteds, including maybe 30-40 15oz worsteds. Very good stuff. All blue and gray, as you say.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton - thoughts on herringbone suitings? This book has a medium gray - each row of herringbone is about 1/2 inch.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have a reefer in Steadfast. Drapes very well. Collects dust, at least the hopsack weave I have. The Italian tailor loved it.

Collects dust as in you don't wear it? I'm looking at mostly the hopsacks in the collection.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads