• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
However, a true navy or blue sports coat would require more texture and visual interests. But if the plan is a blazer, I can’t see why worsted flannel and even some woollen flannels would be an issue.

Separately…I want to do a 6x1 DB navy blazer – it's just a cut that really suits me. There's a slight attraction to making it in the same cloth for added flexibility – but frankly I think that look is better as an odd jacket, and if I'm wearing a suit I'm almost always reaching for the SB.

I agree. Navy flannel is valid cloth for a blazer. Steven Hitchcock's recent version is quite nice:

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't navy flannel work as a SC when gray flannel is the ultimate odd trousers colour and material combination?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree. Navy flannel is valid cloth for a blazer. Steven Hitchcock's recent version is quite nice:

Buttons look strange to me.

Why doesn't navy flannel work as a SC when gray flannel is the ultimate odd trousers colour and material combination?

Precisely because you're probably going to be wearing grey flannels.

konstantis

Reaction score
Personally not into those. I don't know why, but a lot of patterned linens look bad to me. The lines are too vivid and sharp, and the designs/ color combos don't look classic to me.

Maison Hellard has some surprisingly nice patterned linens that almost look like soft woolens. IMO, they get the colors and lines right. For example

Yes these are really nice. How is the quality ?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes these are really nice. How is the quality ?

I don't have any experience with the fabric made into a garment. I only have swatches. They feel nice. Softer than W. Bill, but not as soft as Solbiati. Somewhere between British linen and Italian linen.

A friend of mine has a jacket made from Hellard linen and likes it.

Marshak

Reaction score
Personally not into those. I don't know why, but a lot of patterned linens look bad to me. The lines are too vivid and sharp, and the designs/ color combos don't look classic to me.

Maison Hellard has some surprisingly nice patterned linens that almost look like soft woolens. IMO, they get the colors and lines right. For example

Very nice and tempting French linens Indeed.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after all this flannel/doeskin talk....is there a go-to recommendation for a navy doeskin these days or a book that has doeskin options? I'm gone down the rabbit hole and am really digging the Armoury images below of Daniel's Tailor Caid blazer as inspiration for a second navy sport coat

tailor caid.jpg
tailor caid 2.jpg

not related...I also received some Maison Hellard swatches last week and agree that the patterns are really nice (so are the names too "Derniere Lumiere", "Rencontre Nocturne" etc.), and the cloth is substantial yet soft. They are tentatively on the docket for a summer 2023 commission

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So too match-y match-y?

For me, it would be. I don't think it's a faux pas or anything. I guess I just think it's like a denim jacket with denim jeans. It's probably doable, but I think it would be easier to wear a navy sport coat if the material were something else. Something that gave more contrast. And given the availability of other options -- serge, tweed, doeskin, etc -- I guess I don't understand why someone would go for flannel since it has no intrinsic upsides.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it would be. I don't think it's a faux pas or anything. I guess I just think it's like a denim jacket with denim jeans. It's probably doable, but I think it would be easier to wear a navy sport coat if the material were something else. Something that gave more contrast. And given the availability of other options -- serge, tweed, doeskin, etc -- I guess I don't understand why someone would go for flannel since it has no intrinsic upsides.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I haven't though of it as wearing double denim but, I guess it makes sense when you say that their are som many other materials for an odd jacket.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a navy flannel blazer and flannel trousers are “too matchy” now? 😂😂😂😂

I smell a new styleforum CM debate brewing. “Is it good taste for one to wear a navy or blue odd jacket with grey flannel trousers?”

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So a navy flannel blazer and flannel trousers are “too matchy” now? 😂😂😂😂

IIRC, this has been debated here in the past a few times with no consensus. Some people think it's a bad idea; some people think it's OK. If you search for the term flannel sport coat, you can bring up various threads.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moglasdaly