• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncommon wear/abrasion: Toe nails scratching through toe box of high class shoes

tetzlaff2

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster - now starting a topic with a rather ridiculous question.

The problem is such: I have prominent and uncommonly sharp toe nails which despite being cared for on a regular basis rub and scratch through the lining of my better shoes (largely Vass and John Lobb - you get the point: I don't want these shoes to be wasted).

I already lost a pair as eventually my big toe's nails had scratched through the toebox lining and even the leather uppers of the shoes :-/ This is how I first noticed the problem with my toe nails which I had previously been unaware of.

I don't need any advice on taking care of my feet, I was just wondering whether anybody else experiences this problem and what he does about it.

Is there, for example, sheet metal that you can apply to the area most strongly subject to abrasion from toe nails? What else could you think of? Annoying question, I know - feel free to laugh ;-) My cobbler couldn't give me any recommendation.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this before but it would seem that your shoes are too small for your feet. The toe and its accompanying nail are simply part of your foot to be taken into account.

Patek14

Reaction score
  • cut your toenails super short?
  • wear thicker socks?
  • do u have a cat in your family tree?
  • coat your toenails with liquid bandage/latex?

tetzlaff2

Reaction score
Did anybody check his shoes upon my post? I am close to certain I am not the only guy around suffering from this disposition and that at least a fraction of SFers will have thin toe box lining where the big toe hits the toe box top ... Thing is, only few will notice. I only did by chance, though...

That said, I am still looking forward to a recommendation as to glue something protective on the inside of my shoes... Can you think of something here?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Only these shoes will work.

t-shirt-n-red-boots.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anybody check his shoes upon my post? I am close to certain I am not the only guy around suffering from this disposition and that at least a fraction of SFers will have thin toe box lining where the big toe hits the toe box top ... Thing is, only few will notice. I only did by chance, though...

That said, I am still looking forward to a recommendation as to glue something protective on the inside of my shoes... Can you think of something here?

Why do you persist in thinking that they are the correct size? They patently are not: if your toes (of whatever type they actually are fangs perhaps?) abrade the linings, the shoes are too small for you.

If a cobbler (who better?) has no idea then it would seem he has never fallen upon the issue so I would aver that you are unique in this and should not kid yourself otherwise. I can't be bothered using that useful option - 'search' (have you?) but I have never read of or seen such an issue anywhere, anytime.

Trolling perhaps?

KobyBerk

Reaction score
Funny you mention this because I have been noticing in a few of my pairs of sneakers by the top of my big toe there are small holes and they keep growing. Could be because of my nails. What have you done about it?

useless_username

Reaction score
Troll confirmed. Nothing to see here, move along. Though I have to admit, this was quality trolling. More imaginative than the usual.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the best threaks occur when I am eating. Thanks pal.
Welcome to Styleforum.

tetzlaff2

Reaction score
Certainly no trolling - I don't have time for such activities. I am looking for help/recommendations here. Again, this is not related to a lack of body care. If you walk around, you'll notice that some folks wearing Vans skate shoes have their big toe scratched through the canvas... This is the same problem I have, only with more expensive shoes.

And my cobbler actually had a solution which is reparing the lining locally. He also let me know upon request that I am not the only person in the world with this disposition. But why would one go for a reparation when protection/prevention possibly is an option, too? This is where he fell short of ideas.

And just for the sake of completeness: Nowhere did I mention that I insist my shoes are the correct size - this notion seems to have formed in your mind exclusively, GBR. But to ease your mind, I do in fact believe them to be correctly sized as I comfortably wear my shoes and was fitted by very experienced shoe professionals in store.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
If your toenail keratin is sufficiently hard to scratch into and possibly through a robust leather shoe upper, then any substance or mechanism applied to the inside of the shoe or the exterior of the toe is going to be similarly worn through, and probably quite uncomfortable.

Personally I would suggest toenail extraction is a more beneficial solution.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads