1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ascot Shoes and Vass - Quality Control Etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by agoodeye, Oct 29, 2015.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I really don't understand how the OPs post count has anything to do with this. Either he has a point or he doesn't. If you believe his expectations are either reasonable or unreasonable and why is all that should really matter. If you think he or the community could benefit from him posting in another thread just say so, but what the heck does his post count have to do with it?

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

To the OP, I think if you were to post some of this information in the Vass appreciation thread you just might get some more valuable feedback. At least you would find a good number there with more experience and a better idea of what their experiences have been.

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

TLDR.

For the pictures

Uneven broguing for the wingtip is not too bad, won't effect the wear, and happens for other handmade shoemakers as well.

The bottom pair, those 2 holes are tacking holes, where they fix the heel to the shoe last while making. Some bespoke makers leave tacking holes and some avoids tacking hole. No big deal at all.

3 people like this.
  4. agoodeye

agoodeye Active Member

Hi. @chogall. Those are not tacking holes. There is a double row of stitching that goes around the back of the heel. Both bottom rows on both shoes have split at the back.
    As for the uneven workmanship on the broguing, that's just not good quality work. It's rushed. And it not only is not like this on other MTO makers, it's not like this on lesser priced hand made shoes. It's like saying you're buying a $3000 suit and the buttons aren't even.

5. agoodeye

agoodeye Active Member

6. borbor

borbor Senior member

the type of response you'll most likely hear is that that article is written by one (or one group) of people and does not indicate the overall opinion of all of vass's customers [​IMG][​IMG]

7. agoodeye

agoodeye Active Member

READ THE ARTICLE. Since they review every single high end shoe maker they have no ax to grind with Vass. The reviews of all makers are balanced and in my opinion accurate and fair.

8. andrel42

andrel42 Senior member

Wow! Just stumbled across this thread ... What is this all about?

As a shoe-aholic (sigh) with over 170 pairs of dress shoes, the ones that always attract compliments are both my Vass and Gaziano. I believe that the beauty of hand made shoes is exactly that; the small imperfections that make each shoe unique and let's face it, when you actually wear your shoes they get worn; so even a brand new shoe eventually wears down, gets scratched and creased, etc.

Regarding Vass (15 pairs so far and growing) I can only praise their finishing and having bought quite some pairs from @Ascotshoes I can only compliment their creativity and I am impressed every time I see a new MTO model offering!

Having previously bought some MTO pairs via a German re-seller and several MTO's from Ascot, I have to admit I am very surprised at what has been posted here and I am sure they must have offered compensation or alternatives. I am also happy to post closeup pictures of some of my (worn) shoes from different brands for comparison as to the finishing. The pictures posted above are not enough to shake down neither a brand nor a re-seller.

Just my 5 cents ...

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

If you get the chance you should compare what they have written about Allen Edmonds and a some of the actual review's they get from some of their customers. The reviews in this article can hardly be called critical reviews and these reviews really are very short synopsis at best.

I think the people who responded to you in the Vass thread summed it up best. Its unfortunate that your expectations were one thing when reality is what you have experienced is no different than most have already experienced. The difference is that your expectations were for something that Vass is not known for doing. Vass's charm lies elsewhere. So you can continue to be upset but that isn't going to change what Vass is known for. You posted and asked for opinions, it's unfortunate the opinions you received did not match your opinion. I think they even made recommendations what might closer meet with your expectations. I can tell you however perfection is not something human beings are known for, but their are other shoemakers who pay maybe a bit closer attention to detail and this is where there strength lies.

1 person likes this.