• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

type of milk?

preynhunt

Reaction score
hi, im not a body builder or anything. I am a runner, and i like to be fit. My question is when I was up north, I used to get this skimless milk at wegmans and many areas which was good milk. now, that I am down south, I usually buy milk from walmart or publix, and the milk is so watery, and there is no taste to it? can anyone suggest why this is so, and what brand of milk do you buy. i buy from these places mainly being a college student and cheap, but milk is something that I drink a lot, and cant put a price on it. I like soy milk, but I am looking for good milk to make coffee with.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'll put in $.02 for the milk I've been getting lately. Here is the website if you would like to do some reading about it and why I've been using it. It'll explain some of the differences between between different kinds of milk. RealMilk

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only drink 10%, soy, or 1% (in that order
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
), so I can't really help you, but Tck13 might be on to something: try organic.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pure Cambodian breastmilk

jett

Reaction score
try some organic whole milk. I have a hard time drinking anything else, or even putting anything else in my coffee (although real cream is pretty nice as long as it doesn't sit too long)

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently tried grass-fed milk, which is supposed to be higher quality then organic. That is good stuff. My friend also pointed out to me a secondary benefit to organic milks--they last longer and don't sour as quickly. I don't know why, but I've noticed it's true.

Also, I think the local-buying craze makes a lot of sense--not just in economic, socially-conscious terms, but for your health. The more you eat of foods grown in your neighborhood, the more your body will be interacting with its own ecosystem. This is a good thing for it.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
try some organic whole milk. I have a hard time drinking anything else, or even putting anything else in my coffee (although real cream is pretty nice as long as it doesn't sit too long)
+1 on the whole milk, its supposed to be the only milk that is ok for you. Milk is supposed to be kind of bad for your body. Think about it, humans are the only mammals that continue to drink milk outside of infantcy

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
+1 on the whole milk, its supposed to be the only milk that is ok for you. Milk is supposed to be kind of bad for your body. Think about it, humans are the only mammals that continue to drink milk outside of infantcy

We're also the only mammals that heat animal proteins before eating them. Does that mean it's bad to cook meat, fish, eggs, etc?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've heard this before but I can't find any information about the topic. I thought there was a website or something about it but I can't find it. I've heard that milk was bad for adults but what else does one have with cookies?
inlove.gif

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
We're also the only mammals that heat animal proteins before eating them. Does that mean it's bad to cook meat, fish, eggs, etc?

I've also heard various things about heating food. Apparently it kills enzymes which are found in only cold food? (fish oil, for example, isn't supposed to be heated?) I think there are diets out there that feature only un-heated food.
eh.gif

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Horizon or Organic Valley brands are pretty good and available at most grocery stores. The nice thing about organic milk is that it's super pasturized, so the sell by date is 2-3 months out and it keeps for about 2 weeks after you open it.

Supermarket milk may be cheap, but it's not so cheap when you throw half of it away because it stinks.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad

yes and thats why I eat my Fish, eggs and meat raw...
Just kidding, but think about it. When you were a child did your mom homogenize her milk? Do animals in the wild? I think not.

dapperdude

Reaction score
+1 on raw whole milk from grass-fed cows. Goat milk is also good.

Pastuerization destroys lactase and other beneficial enzymes, kills good bacteria, and destroys fragile proteins.

Calfs fed only skim milk become sickly and die.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
yes and thats why I eat my Fish, eggs and meat raw...
Just kidding, but think about it. When you were a child did your mom homogenize her milk? Do animals in the wild? I think not.

Mom smoked two packs a day, too. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads