• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Shoes Advice: Which Pair Should I Get?

blackbowtie

Reaction score
I've been holding off buying patent leather shoes for a long time, but have decided to grow up and get a pair. I thought I should start small, and I found these on e-bay:

Ralph Lauren pumps: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390051836057

Ferragamo lace-ups: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380125074187

I'm aware that there are better quality and (higher priced) options out there, but I'm thinking of starting with options in this range.

I've been indoctrinated from a young age that a man's shoes should have laces, but the RL pumps also look ultra comfortable, especially when factoring in dancing into the wee hours of the morning in a ballroom.

Any thoughts and comments would be most appreciated.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the last shape of the Ferragamos; the RLs look great.
But I don't really understand how you can be torn between these two; they are two totally different beasts.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
But I don't really understand how you can be torn between these two; they are two totally different beasts.

The ideal thing for me would be to get both kinds, but I think that would be silly to do in one go. Thanks for the input.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
That's what opera pumps look like...
I know that...doesn't change my opinion though...
smile.gif
I agree with the Ferragamos being pointy as well I feel very negative on this thread

Ozelot

Reaction score
Hi!
I would take the first pair. I generally like opera pumps
worship.gif
and so you even have adequate shoes for a tailcoat.

yoshii

Reaction score
Another vote for the RL pumps, in saying that they do come across as slightly feminine but still look nicer than the Ferragamo's you posted.

davidrichards

Reaction score
Just a thought - laced shoes will provide better fit and support - important for long nights and dancing.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
There is no more elegant RTW shoe for dinner clothes than that Edward Green for RLPL calf pump.

If that is an option, to choose another is unfortunate. Make sure it fits, though...you should try on any RTW shoe first, but particularly low vamp shoes with no lacing.

As for a pump looking "feminine," that's ridiculous. You're not wearing it alone nude. It is a single part of what is basically the most severe ensemble that most men get to wear these days, one piece of a whole that should be working together in harmony.

Most importantly: if anyone doubts your masculinity because you are wearing the most traditional shoes for dinner clothes, you might need to work on persona more than your shoes.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads