Tuxedo Jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by callen, Jun 12, 2006.

1. callen

callen Well-Known Member

Quick question... Should a tux jacket be ventless or have a vent. I am new to this forum, and I am just starting to build my wardrobe, so I am learning as I go. Thanks for the input.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Either is OK. (Though avoid the center vent.) Probably no vents is more traditional, but side vents are fine.

3. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

From a purely pragmatic standpoint, if you're going to be doing any sitting down in your dinner jacket, a vented jacket is far more practical.

4. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I'm all for the ventless, personally. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, it lends a cleaner, minimalist look which I think makes the dinner jacket so great in the first place.

5. TCN

TCN Senior member

For the same reason the trousers lack cuffs, I would vote "no vents".

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Quick question... Should a tux jacket be ventless or have a vent. I am new to this forum, and I am just starting to build my wardrobe, so I am learning as I go. Thanks for the input.

Two vents is preferable - ultra traditional ie old fashioned is none.

7. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

8. The Urban Artistocrat

The Urban Artistocrat Member

Depends on how much of a traditionalist you are. Not having a vent creates a more formal look and that's why it's more traditional. Side vents, on the other hand, are more practical as they prevent the back of the jacket from riding up when you put your hands in your pockets. A single rear vent was designed for horseback riding so not only is it informal but it also has a tendency to open up and reveal your derriere when you put your hands in your pockets. (Some might say it's bad form to place one's hands in one's pockets but the gentleman in my avatar would disagree!)

9. callen

callen Well-Known Member

This is for my wedding. I am trying for a very traditional look. My basic plan is black tux, white custom fit tuxedo shirt, black bow tie, cumberbun, pants with no cuffs, and a white piece of linen.

One last question. Do I need to wear (rent) patent shoes. I don't like them, I own a pair of Alan Edmunds Park Ave shoes that I usually just polish very well. Thoughts?

10. jml90

jml90 Senior member

This is for my wedding. I am trying for a very traditional look. My basic plan is black tux, white custom fit tuxedo shirt, black bow tie, cumberbun, pants with no cuffs, and a white piece of linen.

One last question. Do I need to wear (rent) patent shoes. I don't like them, I own a pair of Alan Edmunds Park Ave shoes that I usually just polish very well. Thoughts?
    Buy
    patent leater plaintoe balmorals

11. TomW

TomW Senior member

Spit shine the Park Avenues... to a mirror shine if you can manage it. No need to purchase patent leather bals unless you'll have the opportunity to wear your tuxedo more than a few times a year.

12. summej2

summej2 Senior member

Spit shine the Park Avenues... to a mirror shine if you can manage it. No need to purchase patent leather bals unless you'll have the opportunity to wear your tuxedo more than a few times a year.

I agree. I rather prefer black calf to patent leather. There is historical precedence for this, as there is for the ventless dinner jacket.

Besides, if you wear a dinner jacket often then pumps would be the way to go.

13. jml90

jml90 Senior member

My mistake I thought the Park Aves were bluchers but they're bals

I still think it would be better to at least buy a plaint toe bal

14. sammy

sammy Senior member

Swap out the cummerbund for a vest.

15. xarope

xarope Well-Known Member

Don't the pants need a single ribbon as well? Without one, a black-tie outfit just looks... odd (I've also worn full military dress uniform #1, blue pants with a thick red-stripe... without the red stripe it just wouldn't work)