• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Jacket

callen

Reaction score
Quick question... Should a tux jacket be ventless or have a vent. I am new to this forum, and I am just starting to build my wardrobe, so I am learning as I go. Thanks for the input.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Either is OK. (Though avoid the center vent.) Probably no vents is more traditional, but side vents are fine.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a purely pragmatic standpoint, if you're going to be doing any sitting down in your dinner jacket, a vented jacket is far more practical.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'm all for the ventless, personally. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, it lends a cleaner, minimalist look which I think makes the dinner jacket so great in the first place.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the same reason the trousers lack cuffs, I would vote "no vents".

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by callen
Quick question... Should a tux jacket be ventless or have a vent. I am new to this forum, and I am just starting to build my wardrobe, so I am learning as I go. Thanks for the input.

Two vents is preferable - ultra traditional ie old fashioned is none.

Reaction score
Depends on how much of a traditionalist you are. Not having a vent creates a more formal look and that's why it's more traditional. Side vents, on the other hand, are more practical as they prevent the back of the jacket from riding up when you put your hands in your pockets. A single rear vent was designed for horseback riding so not only is it informal but it also has a tendency to open up and reveal your derriere when you put your hands in your pockets. (Some might say it's bad form to place one's hands in one's pockets but the gentleman in my avatar would disagree!)

callen

Reaction score
This is for my wedding. I am trying for a very traditional look. My basic plan is black tux, white custom fit tuxedo shirt, black bow tie, cumberbun, pants with no cuffs, and a white piece of linen.

One last question. Do I need to wear (rent) patent shoes. I don't like them, I own a pair of Alan Edmunds Park Ave shoes that I usually just polish very well. Thoughts?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is for my wedding. I am trying for a very traditional look. My basic plan is black tux, white custom fit tuxedo shirt, black bow tie, cumberbun, pants with no cuffs, and a white piece of linen.

One last question. Do I need to wear (rent) patent shoes. I don't like them, I own a pair of Alan Edmunds Park Ave shoes that I usually just polish very well. Thoughts?
Buy
patent leater plaintoe balmorals

TomW

Reaction score

Spit shine the Park Avenues... to a mirror shine if you can manage it. No need to purchase patent leather bals unless you'll have the opportunity to wear your tuxedo more than a few times a year.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TomW
Spit shine the Park Avenues... to a mirror shine if you can manage it. No need to purchase patent leather bals unless you'll have the opportunity to wear your tuxedo more than a few times a year.

I agree. I rather prefer black calf to patent leather. There is historical precedence for this, as there is for the ventless dinner jacket.

Besides, if you wear a dinner jacket often then pumps would be the way to go.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mistake I thought the Park Aves were bluchers but they're bals

I still think it would be better to at least buy a plaint toe bal

sammy

Reaction score

Swap out the cummerbund for a vest.

xarope

Reaction score
Don't the pants need a single ribbon as well? Without one, a black-tie outfit just looks... odd (I've also worn full military dress uniform #1, blue pants with a thick red-stripe... without the red stripe it just wouldn't work)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics