• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Advice

atct86

Reaction score
I have a wedding and a 2nd black tie event to attend this fall. Due to this, I would like to purchase a tuxedo instead of renting.

What brands/stores should I be looking at? I normally wear a 40R.

I have no problem buying used of ebay, and would like to spend under $500 + the shirt, etc.

In regards to design, I am leaning towards one button, peak lapel. What about pleats, etc? What else should I look at?

Last edited:

ddonicht

Reaction score
Go to the Style-Wizard (Wizard of Aahs) on Ebay. He should be able to hook you up with a decent tux and probably the rest of the stuff too.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Under 500? Jos. A Bank has decent enough formalwear in that range, and they're probably one of the few that will have good classic options available in that range rather than three button notch lapels with 3 vents and a flower that squirts water.

One button, Peak Lapel is an excellent choice. Pleats are a personal choice, but don't matter so long as the pants fit.

Make sure to get it tailored, at least in the sleeves. Waist might be a good idea too, depending.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could give one of the online MTM guys a shot, someone like Indochino. I bought a tux from them and love it. If you do some searching of SF you'll see major mixed reviews on IC, some like it, others abhor it. With a pretty easy return policy, and the fact it appears you have some time, it might be something to try.

Macy's carries a tux from Tallia Orange that I think is around $425. I saw one in the store and the jacket was fairly slim.

Don't buy anything that a local tux shop has to offer.

J. Crew has a tux as well that is part of their Ludlow fit.

I personally got a 1button peak lapel, with side vents. No pleats on the pants.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score

Under 500? Jos. A Bank has decent enough formalwear in that range, and they're probably one of the few that will have good classic options available in that range rather than three button notch lapels with 3 vents and a flower that squirts water.

One button, Peak Lapel is an excellent choice. Pleats are a personal choice, but don't matter so long as the pants fit.

Make sure to get it tailored, at least in the sleeves. Waist might be a good idea too, depending.

I would completely agree with this and if you catch them on a good enough sale you can really save and get the right accesories to go along with it.

atct86

Reaction score
I still have not found anything yet. I bid on a couple Oxxford tuxedo's on ebay, but lost, and am running out of time.

Right now its between Jos a Bank Signiture which seems to be around $318. I would need to get this heavily tailored. The other option is a Daniele Tuxedo, which is made in china, but seems to be highly reccomended.

Any advice between the two?

Anyone selling a 42-42r tux?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still have not found anything yet. I bid on a couple Oxxford tuxedo's on ebay, but lost, and am running out of time.

Right now its between Jos a Bank Signiture which seems to be around $318. I would need to get this heavily tailored. The other option is a Daniele Tuxedo, which is made in china, but seems to be highly reccomended.

Any advice between the two?

Anyone selling a 42-42r tux?

How tailored is "heavily tailored"? You can expect to spend $50-$100 getting any tuxedo altered to fit you. BTW, make sure you go to an independent tailor. Never use the one in the store!

You would definitely be better off with the Jos Bank tuxedo rather than one you have never tried on. Or have you seen this Daniele thing? It certainly isn't a brand that I have heard of.

BTW, I endorse your idea of getting a tuxedo on ebay. Though, of course, it will have to be tailored, too. Usually, buying clothes on ebay is a bad idea. Even suits in allegedly "good" condition have seen a lot of wear. But when someone advertises a tuxedo and says something like "only worn once," it's probably true.

yesssir

Reaction score
Please don't go the Jos A Banks route if you're somewhat slim. I purchased the signature peak lapel last month and returned it after I got home and tried on the pants and they were huge. The jacket fit was good, but the pants looked like MC Hammer pants and I would've spent way too much money on tailoring them.

atct86

Reaction score
Jos. A. Bank does have the signiture tux's which are only $18 more.

I purchased a really nice RLPL shirt, and am still looking for everything else.

I am 5'11", and 190 pounds.

brokencycle

Reaction score
The JAB tux will go to 70% off at least sometime this year. They always do, so you can get it for like $250 before alterations.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please don't go the Jos A Banks route if you're somewhat slim. I purchased the signature peak lapel last month and returned it after I got home and tried on the pants and they were huge. The jacket fit was good, but the pants looked like MC Hammer pants and I would've spent way too much money on tailoring them.

You didn't try on the pants in the store?

Anyway, one of the (few) nice things about JAB is that you can purchase the tuxedo jacket and pants as separates in flat fronts or with pleats. So it is easier to get a decent fit than when you are stuck with a standard drop.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there's a Zegna outlet near you, try them. They sometimes have good stuff in that price range, though that in conjunction with your size and preferred style may be hard. If they have some Z-Zegnas they'll almost certainly be around that, as will anything on the clearance rack (last year they had a beautiful midnight wool/silk one down to $525 though unfortunately not my size).

atct86

Reaction score
I ended up loosing about 5 eBay auctions for Oxxford, and other tuxedos.

I was driving by the Jos. A. Bank factory store (right near the factory in Hampstead MD), and stopped in for a quick look. I ended up getting a single button, notch lapel tux for $65. It was marked down from $895 because it had size 36 pants rather than size 35.

Where or what are good brands for a Bow Tie and Cummerbund?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads