Tuxedo Advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by atct86, Aug 4, 2011.

1. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Stefano Ricci

2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Notch lapel isn't going to please anyone here. But, you can hardly beat that price. I just went the ebay route myself for a Hickey Freeman bespoke peak lapel single button myself. Pocket flaps was the only detail I was unhappy with, but my tailor said just tuck them in, rather than remove them. He's doing some other minor work.

That said, you can still do please everyone with the details.

I bought socks and the (presumed to be drakes) cummerbund and semi-formal tie from ASW. http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/evening.aspx. I'll see what it is when it gets here next week.

I can't recommend Will's blog or store enough. He ships extremely promptly and answers questions thoroughly.

A straight or diamond bowtie will set you off from all of the clip-ons out there.

Please go with a turn down collar rather than wing.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

3. atct86

atct86 Senior member

Yeah, i could not turn down the price. I will look at that place for the details, but I do have a never worn RLPL wing collar shirt from my father.

4. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Wing collar is truly for white tie. Turn down collar is really for evening suits. I'd recommend the website http://www.blacktieguide.com/ for more info on details.

5. atct86

atct86 Senior member

6. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

I too am in the market for a tuxedo, I need it (tailored) for Oct 6th.

If I am going to buy a sub par tux (i.e. from a brand i'd never buy a suit from) - should I just go and rent one - and save for a real tux at some point - this is my real dilemma now.

Should I pray for a good one for ~$500 from GILT?

Should I go in the corner and cry?

If anyone has or knows of a 38 short tuxedo for sale ( 1 button, peak lapel ) - i'd be highly interested.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

7. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Notch lapel tuxedos are definitely not excellent but I have to admit, that is a really good deal, even from Banks. Their normal sales are only 70% off.

As for the accessories, you need a shirt, a cummerbund, braces, preferably white, a self-tied bow tie, shirt studs and cufflinks.

The shirt you have is acceptable though not ideal. Wing collars are really more appropriate with white tie. Plus, using a wing collar means that people can see the band of your bow tie which means that the little length-adjuster thing will be visible on the back of your neck, which looks lame. If you can, get a pique shirt with a turn-down collar.

Don't worry too much about the brand of your accessories, pay more attention to ensuring that they are correct. To be honest, there is little point in spending hundreds of dollars on a cummerbund. And, no, it shouldn't have white dots on it, polka or otherwise. Technically speaking, the cummerbund and bow tie should match the facings of your lapels. In other words, if you have satin lapels Iti goes without saying that they will be black), you should have a satin cummerbund and a satin bow tie. If you are lucky enough to have grosgrain lapels, you should have a grosgrain bow tie and a grosgrain cummerbund -- which is pretty hard to find and will probably cost you more than your tuxedo. Don't worry, you probably have satin lapels anyway.

If you want to splash out, get silk moire brace in, of course, white. No one should ever see them but they are really cool.

Shirt studs and cufflinks are typically sets though I have seen people do it with "matching" studs and cufflinks that aren't actually sets and it can look really good. Black onyx sets are quite common and pretty inexpensive. MOP was also traditional but less common these days. But this is an area where you can go for something a bit more distinctive if you want. It needs to be tasteful and flashy is the antithesis of black tie, but that still leaves you a lot of scope. Cufflinks and shirt studs are really the only jewelry that men traditionally get to wear so feel free to indulge yourself a little. There are, for example, some really nice and yet distinctive cufflinks and studs online in sterling silver that are still pretty reasonably-priced. Take the money you saved on your DJ and spend in on this. Because of the nature of black tie, links and studs are surprisingly noticeable, especially if you go for something other than the basic onyx. so it makes sense to put some effort and cash into getting something you are happy with.

No. It will cost you almost as much to rent one as to buy a cheap one. But, once it is altered, you will look far, far better in even a cheap tuxedo that you own as opposed to a rented one.

8. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

ha, can't argue with USD 65 for a tux!

i would argue a cummerbund is optional, but whatever floats your boat. also may consider a waistcoat, given all the money you saved.

9. TheWorldsFinest

TheWorldsFinest Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011

10. Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn Well-Known Member

Peak lapel collar is a traditional yet good option but I personally love shawl lapel tuxedo. You haven't mention which color of tuxedo you are going to buy, black or midnight blue both are certainly the best option to go with. You can add features like gauntlet cuffs, or boutonniere to make it looks unique and elegant!

11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Dude, the wedding was 4 years ago...

12. dmass1

dmass1 Senior member

Reviving an old thread for advice on which tuxedo to buy for a wedding (not mine). I want a black peak lapel tux that I'll be able to wear to future weddings and black tie events, and looking to spend <600 total with tailoring.

Considering these two, but open to suggestions if anyone has a cheaper or better value alternative.

http://mobile.josbank.com/signature-peak-lapel-tuxedo-jacket Can prob sky find this on sale for 500 or so with pants

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/even...ck-plain/P1199I.html?cgid=Eveningwear_Package

Leaning towards suit supply but curious to hear opinions on relative quality and value.

Thanks

13. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

The SuSu tuxedo is cut like the Napoli; relatively wide shoulders and slim trousers. Construction wise it is fine for the price. Haven't seen the JAB tuxedo in person but it seems like a reasonable choice as well; the styling is certainly classic. Also check out the Benjamin tuxedo from eHaberdasher. The Benjamin suits seem to be well liked around here. I haven't seen one in person.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

14. theplayerking

theplayerking Well-Known Member

I have one from Suitsupply and have been happy with it. It's very classic but not especially sleek. It's a solid choice that ticks all the rules of what a tux "should be," i.e., lapel, pockets, buttons, etc.

15. dmass1

dmass1 Senior member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016