• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turnbull & Asser

Morris

Reaction score
Arguably the finest RTW shirts produced ... have heard others comment that the cut is too full, but my experience has been positive.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality is average, I'd say on par with Zegna or Lorenzini and the likes. Shell buttons, single needle tailoring, good selection of decent fabrics.

Definitely not close to Borrelli, Barba, Finamore, Charvet, Kiton, Truzzi, etc. as far as quality, construction, details, and fabrics.

If you like British shirts I would recommend Hilditch & Key over T&A as they pattern-match better, and the buttons are a little finer grade. They'll have similar bold striped and checked fabrics, ala T&A, though perhaps not to the same degree. Also the prices are lower.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the cuts go, I've heard mixed responses.

I have one that fits quite slim, but had two others that were half a size smaller and the chests were probably 4" wider.

I have heard that the ones made for the T&A stores fit trimmer than ones sold at Neiman Marcus, etc.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't forget famous Heeldeetch sales.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Quality is average, I'd say on par with Zegna or Lorenzini and the likes. Shell buttons, single needle tailoring, good selection of decent fabrics.

Are you sure? The two I own are double-needle stitched.

mink31

Reaction score
One of my major concerns with T&A is I find their double cuffs to be too tight for my watch. Granted, it's not a slim Patek Philippe, but it is pretty inconvenient to have to keep pulling the cuff to cover it up. maybe that's why prince charles is always fidgeting with his cuffs??
wink.gif
Also, I'm not a big fan of their "distinctive" collar--the points are a little too long and it looks ridiculous when worn open without a tie. If given the choice, I'd pick Hilditch over T&A--H&K have a beautiful cutaway collar, better construction (IMO) and cost less.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
One of my major concerns with T&A is I find their double cuffs to be too tight for my watch. Granted, it's not a slim Patek Philippe, but it is pretty inconvenient to have to keep pulling the cuff to cover it up. maybe that's why prince charles is always fidgeting with his cuffs??
wink.gif

Also, I'm not a big fan of their "distinctive" collar--the points are a little too long and it looks ridiculous when worn open without a tie.
If given the choice, I'd pick Hilditch over T&A--H&K have a beautiful cutaway collar, better construction (IMO) and cost less.

I also find that the elongated 3-button barrel cuffs are too tight to wear all but the slimmest of watches. I usually have to un-do the button nearest my wrist for a comfortable fit.

Good call on the H&K. I like the cutaway collars quite a bit. A year or two ago I picked up some nice H&K shirts from the Saks outlet ($195 marked down to $30) to flip on ebay. They were 100% linen, but felt like a linen/cotton blend - thats how fine the fabric was. They were a really wonderful sky blue with white windowpane. Excellent shirt, if not a little blousy.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you are correct.

I just assumed a shirt with that retail price would be single. What's a T&A shirt start at these days? $275? $300?

Maybe $250 or $300 at the very bottom end. I think the cheapest bespoke is $325.

coachvu

Reaction score
I also find that the elongated 3-button barrel cuffs are too tight to wear all but the slimmest of watches. I usually have to un-do the button nearest my wrist for a comfortable fit.
They are designed so that only the middle of the three buttons will be buttoned.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
They are designed so that only the middle of the three buttons will be buttoned.

Are you sure? I've never heard this before. Every time I've seen them I've seen all three buttoned.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Lorenzini is probably one of the best RTW machine made shirts around. It is definetely above average.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu

I don't believe that is accurate. I just flipped through my copy of "Turnbull & Asser: The Pedigree and Style of a Very English Institution," which is something of an official history of the firm, and everyone pictured with the 3 button cuff has all three buttons buttoned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads