• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Turnbull & Asser

Morris

Reaction score
Arguably the finest RTW shirts produced ... have heard others comment that the cut is too full, but my experience has been positive.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality is average, I'd say on par with Zegna or Lorenzini and the likes. Shell buttons, single needle tailoring, good selection of decent fabrics.

Definitely not close to Borrelli, Barba, Finamore, Charvet, Kiton, Truzzi, etc. as far as quality, construction, details, and fabrics.

If you like British shirts I would recommend Hilditch & Key over T&A as they pattern-match better, and the buttons are a little finer grade. They'll have similar bold striped and checked fabrics, ala T&A, though perhaps not to the same degree. Also the prices are lower.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the cuts go, I've heard mixed responses.

I have one that fits quite slim, but had two others that were half a size smaller and the chests were probably 4" wider.

I have heard that the ones made for the T&A stores fit trimmer than ones sold at Neiman Marcus, etc.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't forget famous Heeldeetch sales.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Quality is average, I'd say on par with Zegna or Lorenzini and the likes. Shell buttons, single needle tailoring, good selection of decent fabrics.

Are you sure? The two I own are double-needle stitched.

mink31

Reaction score
One of my major concerns with T&A is I find their double cuffs to be too tight for my watch. Granted, it's not a slim Patek Philippe, but it is pretty inconvenient to have to keep pulling the cuff to cover it up. maybe that's why prince charles is always fidgeting with his cuffs??
Also, I'm not a big fan of their "distinctive" collar--the points are a little too long and it looks ridiculous when worn open without a tie. If given the choice, I'd pick Hilditch over T&A--H&K have a beautiful cutaway collar, better construction (IMO) and cost less.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
One of my major concerns with T&A is I find their double cuffs to be too tight for my watch. Granted, it's not a slim Patek Philippe, but it is pretty inconvenient to have to keep pulling the cuff to cover it up. maybe that's why prince charles is always fidgeting with his cuffs??

Also, I'm not a big fan of their "distinctive" collar--the points are a little too long and it looks ridiculous when worn open without a tie.
If given the choice, I'd pick Hilditch over T&A--H&K have a beautiful cutaway collar, better construction (IMO) and cost less.

I also find that the elongated 3-button barrel cuffs are too tight to wear all but the slimmest of watches. I usually have to un-do the button nearest my wrist for a comfortable fit.

Good call on the H&K. I like the cutaway collars quite a bit. A year or two ago I picked up some nice H&K shirts from the Saks outlet ($195 marked down to $30) to flip on ebay. They were 100% linen, but felt like a linen/cotton blend - thats how fine the fabric was. They were a really wonderful sky blue with white windowpane. Excellent shirt, if not a little blousy.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you are correct.

I just assumed a shirt with that retail price would be single. What's a T&A shirt start at these days? $275? $300?

Maybe $250 or $300 at the very bottom end. I think the cheapest bespoke is $325.

coachvu

Reaction score
I also find that the elongated 3-button barrel cuffs are too tight to wear all but the slimmest of watches. I usually have to un-do the button nearest my wrist for a comfortable fit.
They are designed so that only the middle of the three buttons will be buttoned.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
They are designed so that only the middle of the three buttons will be buttoned.

Interesting, I did not know that.

I remember seeing some photos - perhaps of John Kerry (I believe he enjoys T&A) - where all three buttons were fastened.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you sure? I've never heard this before. Every time I've seen them I've seen all three buttoned.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Lorenzini is probably one of the best RTW machine made shirts around. It is definetely above average.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score

I don't believe that is accurate. I just flipped through my copy of "Turnbull & Asser: The Pedigree and Style of a Very English Institution," which is something of an official history of the firm, and everyone pictured with the 3 button cuff has all three buttons buttoned.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 109 33.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.5%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%