1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Turnbull & Asser

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by royal618, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Dan G

Dan G Senior member

Anyone know when the Ascot Chang sale may start?

2. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

Hm, I wonder if this is the end for Hildeetch.

Do we have any other indicators that Hildeetch is in possible financial distress?

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

T&A quality is lousy for what they charge. Similar construction to Pink and Tyrwhitt albeit with slightly nicer fabrics. Also, T&A button attachment is lacking, and if you ever order button-turnback cuffs, they are horrible to fasten (Ascot Chang does a much nicer and cleaner job).

Another thing worth mentioning is T&A's HORRIBLE customer service. I was a T&A devotee for years (20+ RTW and MTM shirts per year, plus a handful of ties), until the company screwed me out of a tie that I ordered at a Neman's trunk show. It was only one tie, but it's the principle; plus after numerous phone calls and letters to T&A (Andy Gilchrest even tried to help), I got nowhere.

Ascot Changs are much better shirts for $50 to $75 less retail, and at the same time Nemans does their T&A sale, Saks puts their Hilditches on sale, which blow T&A out of the water, and usually you can find shirts that weren't just clown returns.

You could say I feel strongly about this. [​IMG]

I had a similar problem, but with shirts, after being extremely happy with ordering MTM T&A shirts through NM, I decided to try to order them through the NYC store, but despite my phone calls (Andy also tried to help me out), and even going to the store last time I was in NYC, it was all for naught; I can't really complain about their customer service because frankly speaking they don't have any.

Jon.

4. YoungFogey

YoungFogey Senior member

Wait, you mean EVEN Andy was unable to help you out? I understand that when he speaks, the portals of Jermyn Street quake!

Personally, I think that fabric and quality of the T&A (stock special) shirts that I have exceed that of H&K (just). On the other hand, H&K's sale prices (especially if you buy on-site) are the best bang for the buck in the shirt world, bar none. Their cotton quality is just amazing, but unfortunately their tent-like body sizing, drab colours and measly collars just don't suit me.

5. TCN

TCN Senior member

I had a similar problem, but with shirts, after being extremely happy with ordering MTM T&A shirts through NM, I decided to try to order them through the NYC store, but despite my phone calls (Andy also tried to help me out), and even going to the store last time I was in NYC, it was all for naught; I can't really complain about their customer service because frankly speaking they don't have any.

Jon.

I twice talked to their US-CFO about the matter, which only confirmed to me that the CFO is the last guy in any organization that you want to talk to about customer service issues. I actually thought about filing a lawsuit and refusing to settle just for $hit$ and giggles.

They'd better get their act together, as I imagine that they'll only be able to trade on their past glory for so long.

6. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

From
    http://men.style.com/details/feature...3972&pageNum=2

Britain's most famous shirtmaker is Turnbull & Asser, the Jermyn Street house that outfits both Jay-Z and the British royal family. . . Hobbs has little time for purists who gripe that his products, unlike Charvet's, do not provide handmade belt loops or hand-cut buttonholes. "I ask you, what's the point of those sort of things when pretty well all our customers take their shirts to a $2 Chinese laundry?" Hobbs says.

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Britain's most famous shirtmaker is Turnbull & Asser, the Jermyn Street house that outfits both Jay-Z and the British royal family. . . Hobbs has little time for purists who gripe that his products, unlike Charvet's, do not provide handmade belt loops or hand-cut buttonholes. "I ask you, what's the point of those sort of things when pretty well all our customers take their shirts to a $2 Chinese laundry?" Hobbs says.
    [​IMG]

8. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

From

Britain’s most famous shirtmaker is Turnbull & Asser, the Jermyn Street house that outfits both Jay-Z and the British royal family. . . Hobbs has little time for purists who gripe that his products, unlike Charvet’s, do not provide handmade belt loops or hand-cut buttonholes. “I ask you, what’s the point of those sort of things when pretty well all our customers take their shirts to a $2 Chinese laundry?” Hobbs says.

I use a $2 per shirt laundry and my guy hand (Who is Chinese from Hong Kong and an awesome guy) washes and irons them inside out. Ive never had a single shirt split anywhere or a button crack no matter what the brand from T&A to Paris Custom Shirts. So I have no idea what monsieur Hobbs is talking about. Also, what kind of argument is that, we charge the same but give less than the other shirtmakers because itll just get ruined anyway?

With that logic you should date an ugly girl cause shell just get ugly eventually anyway, so get a head start.

9. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

From

This is also weird because Charvet buttonholes are machine-sewn (albeit very slowly and carefully).

10. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

What shirts have belt loops?

11. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

I use a $2 per shirt laundry and my guy hand (Who is Chinese from Hong Kong and an awesome guy) washes and irons them inside out. Ive never had a single shirt split anywhere or a button crack no matter what the brand from T&A to Paris Custom Shirts. So I have no idea what monsieur Hobbs is talking about. Also, what kind of argument is that, we charge the same but give less than the other shirtmakers because itll just get ruined anyway?

With that logic you should date an ugly girl cause shell just get ugly eventually anyway, so get a head start.

Where is your guy located?

12. Film Noir Buff

Where is your guy located?

B Gee Laundry & Cleaners
    4 Grayrock Rd, Scarsdale, NY
    (914) 472-4183

13. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

B Gee Laundry & Cleaners
    4 Grayrock Rd, Scarsdale, NY
    (914) 472-4183

Darn. Was hoping he's in Manhattan. Do you know of a Cleaner in Manhattan who will do same hand wash/iron job for $2?

Thanks anyway.

14. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Do you know of a Cleaner in Manhattan who will do same hand wash/iron job for $2?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask [​IMG]

16. TCN

TCN Senior member

What shirts have belt loops?

You mean all of yours don't? [​IMG]

T&A's response is classic T&A bravado, and I agree rather poor PR.

Jay-Z's a client huh? Certainly a sartorial icon. [​IMG]

Reminds me of the old saying about Ferraris and Maseratis (way back in the day) . . . "Maseratis are for industrialists and gentlemen, and Ferraris are for moviestars and prostitutes". [​IMG]

17. RJman

Actually, T&A's response is quite similar to that of H&K's when asked about handsewing -- they've "moved on". The cheap laundries get a mention when they get asked about their higher-end cottons.

Charvet will handsew buttons on its bespoke, although I honestly can't tell if my buttonholes are handsewn too.

18. Film Noir Buff

It is unfortunate that not everyone who makes or sells clothes has any taste or talent for speaking or writing about them.

For all I know Mr. Hobbs meant or said something different than appeared in the article. Maybe the author tried to spice things up with a jab at Chinese laundries, who knows?

But its lamentable tha shop owners and merchants often feel the need to say something from a tight range of over used words like traditional.

I understand the Zulu have thousands of words relating to cattle because it was a primary interest to their culture. Would that that were the case with clothes in ours. Recently writing about clothes, I find myself hemmed in by a limited lexicon. If you add to that the fact that this guy has to be careful with the press and still say something you might understand his predicament.

19. RJman

It is unfortunate that not everyone who sells or wears clothes has any taste or talent for speaking or writing about them.

I understand the Zulu have thousands of words relating to cattle because it was a primary interest to their culture.

Similarly I hear on your site, there are thousands of words relating to Manton? [​IMG]

Just kidding. Couldn't resist.

20. Film Noir Buff

Similarly I hear on your site, there are thousands of words relating to Manton? [​IMG]

Just kidding. Couldn't resist.

Ha ha
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing your review there.[​IMG]