• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trouser tailoring challenge-- ideas?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, here is my tailoring challenge--

Pair of trousers, unhemmed they are approximately the inseam I require-- which of course means there is 0.0 available to hem at the bottom. would it be possible/ feasible to have the trousers somehow 'extended' using some type of cloth, which would allow a hem to be created? [no cuff, of course, just a simple hem].

ideas, suggestions, recommendations?

Thanks!

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's possible with a near identical cloth if the length can afford to lose one-eighth to three-sixteenths of an inch for turn-under to the seam.

Otherwise, you can use the H. Huntsman trouser-stretching hangers available for only 22 pounds plus shipping.
laugh.gif

Alternatively, you can just go for the Thom Browne look.

Respectfully, et blithering cetera

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An 1/8 inch of material(length) would be needed to sew(add) a couple of inches of like material and create a hem. It's doable.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, i can easily sacrifice 1/8 of an inch to do the job-- i'm thinking any cloth that is added to do the job will be folded under/ inside the trouser, so hopefully it won't matter too much about a good match with the trouser color, correct? again, pants to be hemmed/ no cuffs.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FC, you beat me to the buzzer. I probably shouldn't attempt to post, watch a movie, chat with my woman and drink Manhattans concurrently.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
FC, you beat me to the buzzer. I probably shouldn't attempt to post, watch a movie, chat with my woman and drink Manhattans concurrently.

It's rather late there in your Chicago area. Here in Minsk I'm already enjoying my second cup of coffee on Saturday morning.

My wife is still asleep. We didn't stay up late quaffing Margaritas (as our California neighbors undoubtedly did
devil.gif
) to celebrate the defeat of the French at Puebla.

If the French had prevailed . . . hmmm, it wouldn't be much worse. Would it?

Fortunately, it's less than a month until we return home to Southern California.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If these trousers came from a local mens store and they have other pairs in the same color, they could supply you with the same cloth. You could ask them to set aside a couple of inches of cloth for you after hemming another pair. If not, it doesn't matter the color, as it won't show. It is best to use the same weight of cloth as your trouser though.
The only disadvantage to not having enough cloth is you may not get the angle at bottom. Usually about 1" longer in back than front.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Despos, thank you for adding your comments-- good to have a tailor's opinion on this one. looks like my best option is to have a very highly qualified tailor shop do the work, simply adding the cloth of their choice and making the length of the trousers as long as possible (these are tux pants, so a little less "break" over my shoe is actually better for me anyway), altho i won't have the angle-- no problem.

thanks!

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Sounds like it's time for the woman to go
devil.gif

mdogan

Reaction score
www.atlantacustomclothing.com Welcome To Atlanta Custom Clothing! World Finest Men's Top Bespoke Custom Clothing,Custom Suits,Sport Coats,Blazers,Top Coats,Trousers, And Best Bespoke Custom Shirts Makers in Atlanta and USA. Dogan Legendary Third Generation Expert Master Tailor and Clothing Designer & Master Clothier. America's Premier Bespoke Custom Tailored Clothing House. Every Finest Stitch ,Every Time. Proudly Made In The USA. If You Need Any Consultations Whit Helping Your Wardrobe Please Call Us For An Appointment 770-856-8555 or Please Visit Our Website at: www.atlantacustomclothing.com Thank You Atlanta & U.S.A. Remember....I Am ....NEVER.....Too...Busy For Your Referrals! IMPORTANT: Tailoring In Atlanta & USA It's A Bargain. You Need To Fine Expert Master Tailor And Clothing Designer You Can Talk And Trust. ( Not Alteration Tailor )

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One other thought Foxx. The lower the heel on the shoe, the longer the trouser length will be. Higher heel, the trouser will appear shorter.

mdogan

Reaction score
Welcome
The Number One Custom clothiers Atlanta and US.
I am Third Generation Master Tailor and Clothing Designer.
Best Custom Clothing and Custom Shirts and Fine Italian Men's Ready to Wear.
Suits,Sport Coats,Slacks,Shirts,Shoes and more.
Please visit my website at www.atlantacustomclothing.com.
Thank You
Dogan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads