• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travis Henry is a sick f*^k?

hchamp

Reaction score
Interesting op ed piece. Does Henry deserve to be treated more harshly by the league? More like Michael Vick? Discuss.

Originally Posted by USA Today
Children pay the price for this NFL star's actions

By DeWayne Wickham

I don't know what punishment Michael Vick will get for his bad acts, but I really like the big dose of justice that Travis Henry got.

Vick is the star quarterback with the NFL's Atlanta Falcons whose career was derailed last week when he pleaded guilty to a dogfighting conspiracy charge. He's scheduled to be sentenced in December and could get as much as five years in a federal prison.

Henry, too, is a professional football player. His run-in with the law hasn't gotten as much attention.

A running back with the Denver Broncos, he was hauled into court in June for what I think is an even more despicable offense. He regularly failed to make child support payments for the 3-year-old son he fathered out of wedlock. The boy is one of nine children Henry has sired with nine women. At least seven of these women have gotten court orders to mandate that the multimillionaire football player support his children.

Financially irresponsible

And apparently for good reason.

While Henry was missing support payments for his 3-year-old son, he purchased a car for $100,000 and spent $146,000 on jewelry, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. On at least three occasions in his son's short life, Henry stopped making child support payments to the mother. As deadbeat dads go, this guy is my candidate for "Father of the Year."

Once, he didn't make a payment for six months. He fell behind on two other occasions; once for four months, and another time for three months. On one occasion, Henry borrowed $9,800 from his previous team, the Tennessee Titans, to catch up on his support payments, according to the judgment by Clarence Seeliger, a Superior Court judge in DeKalb County, Ga.

"Defendant has not handled the money he has received during his career in a wise manner, and despite the efforts of a new financial adviser team over the last four years, (he) does not have substantial assets from his income," Seeliger said of the 7-year veteran who signed a $25 million contract with the Broncos in March.

It's bad enough when some guy whose salary hovers around the poverty level doesn't keep up with his child support payments, but it's an inexcusable offense when someone who earns millions of dollars a year stiffs his kid.

Cheers for the judge

That's why I applaud what Seeliger ordered that Henry do.

Because of his "lifestyle" (read this to mean his proclivity for procreation) and his poor money-handling skills, Seeliger said in his June order that Henry, 28, must create a $250,000 trust fund to ensure that his son receives the $3,000-a-month child support payments in a timely fashion.

The judge also ordered Henry to take out a $400,000 life insurance policy and make his son the beneficiary. The money for the trust fund must be taken from signing bonus payments that the Broncos team is scheduled to make to Henry in October and November, and in March 2008.

Now that's what I call creative justice.

For his brutal treatment of dogs, Vick has been suspended indefinitely from the NFL. "Your admitted conduct was not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible," Roger Goodell, the league's commissioner, said shortly after Vick's guilty plea.

No such public pronouncement was uttered by Goodell after the most recent in a long line of legal rulings that found Henry to be in violation of a child support order.

Now, I'm not trying to compare what Vick did to dogs — some of which he killed — to Henry's failure to support his child. But just because their bad behavior is substantially different doesn't mean they are not comparatively offensive.

I don't like what Vick did, but I loathe what Henry did — and it bothers me that the NFL doesn't seem to be as bothered by a player who mistreats his children as it is one who violates dogs.

DeWayne Wickham writes on Tuesdays for USA TODAY.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/...y-th.html#more

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suspending Henry so he won't be able to support his kids is counterproductive. How difficult is it to get a lien on his income?

hchamp

Reaction score
Broncos player ordered to pay child support in Georgia
Travis Henry reportedly fathered nine children in four states

By TY TAGAMI
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/25/07

Travis Henry just got tackled by a $3,000-a-month child support judgment.

Sure, the Denver Broncos running back has a $25 million contract and a base monthly salary approaching $50,000, but that kind of bill can still crimp your style when you're accustomed to expensive cars and fancy jewelry — and lots of other child support payments.

Henry, 28, has fathered nine children by nine women in at least four Southern states and has been ordered by various judges to provide child support for seven of them, according to court records involving one child living in DeKalb County.

DeKalb Superior Court Judge Clarence Seeliger this week ordered Henry to provide $3,000 a month for the Lithonia boy he fathered out of wedlock three years ago with Jameshia Beacham, now 29.

Henry isn't the most thrifty guy, according to court records, so the judge wants to ensure payment by establishing an unusual $250,000 trust that Henry must fund by next spring.

Seeliger wrote that the football player displayed "bad judgment in his spending habits," dropping $100,000 for a car and $146,000 for jewelry. Meanwhile, Henry fell behind on support payments for his child with Beacham that were mandated by a previous order. Threatened with jail, he borrowed $9,800 from his former team, the Tennessee Titans, to pay the bill, according to court records.

The trust ensures Beacham will get timely payment if the pro player falls behind on his installments again. Yet the trust could be a sticking point for Henry, who could appeal.

His lawyer, Shiel Edlin, said that to his knowledge the trust would be without precedent in Georgia. A quarter-million dollars is a lot of money, even for Henry, Edlin said. "He has some concerns and he's weighing his options."

Beacham could not be reached for comment. Her lawyer, Robert Wellon, said he asked that the trust be set up because Henry rarely made the payments mandated by an earlier order, though they were $800 less a month. Wellon said there was testimony establishing that Henry received a $1 million bonus earlier this year but quickly spent most of it, buying, among other things, a Mercedes and gold jewelry.

"My argument was, if he makes wise investments, other than in gold chains, then he should be able to make the payments," Wellon said.

Edlin, though, said Henry collected much less than $1 million after taxes, and he said much of it went to debts. "He doesn't have any money," Edlin said. "The guy has significant financial issues."

Records show that Henry's children are scattered across both the American and National Football Conferences — including Florida, North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia. Wellon said Henry talked about gathering them together to watch him at training camp. Indeed, part of the custody arrangement Henry reached with Beacham requires two weekend visits when he is playing pro ball.

Edlin said Henry wants to be a good parent. "I know these are a lot of kids, and there might be some questions about it," he said, "but he's a really committed father."

Staff writer David Simpson contributed to this article.
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...dpay_0825.html

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Suspending Henry so he won't be able to support his kids is counterproductive. How difficult is it to get a lien on his income?

The judge has ordered Henry to create the trust fund, but it seems Henry may appeal. I'll let the legal minds here opine further on this issue.

The other issue is the league's reaction, or lack thereof, to Henry's deliquency. Is being a deadbeat father to nine different children with nine different women not considered as bad as killing dogs? Is this something that is not deserving of public censure from the NFL? Is Henry getting off too lightly, especially when compared to Vick?

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
Why so?

I don't understand how sociopathy carries less weight than irresponsibility. I'm not condoning Henry's actions and I hope he's punished accordingly, but this is apples and oranges.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
I don't understand how sociopathy carries less weight than irresponsibility. I'm not condoning Henry's actions and I hope he's punished accordingly, but this is apples and oranges.

No it's not. The point of the article is that the NFL, or really any pro sports league, doesn't seem to make a big stink about domestic issues- especially in relation to other criminal acts.

Let's remember, the only reason the NFL was initially all over the Vick thing was that they thought he was betting on the fights- THAT was what was going to get him the hammer inititially.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my mind spending 100k on jewelry rather than supporting your children is more indicative of sociopathy than fighting dogs.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why would the league punish someone for being a jerk? Anyway has Travis Henry taken paternity tests to prove if he's the father?

If the DNA doesn't fit, you must acquit.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Why would the league punish someone for being a jerk? Anyway has Travis Henry taken paternity tests to prove if he's the father?

If the DNA doesn't fit, you must acquit.

He's been forced to pay child support to seven women. I assume if they were not his kids, his lawyer would've arranged dna tests to exonerate him. It looks to me like they're his kids.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
No it's not. The point of the article is that the NFL, or really any pro sports league, doesn't seem to make a big stink about domestic issues- especially in relation to other criminal acts.

Let's remember, the only reason the NFL was initially all over the Vick thing was that they thought he was betting on the fights- THAT was what was going to get him the hammer inititially.

That's right. The question is should the league take domestic abuse more seriously? Is it OK for one of its employees to father nine children with nine different women with no intention of marrying any one of them or supporting any of his kids. The articles make it clear that Henry was forced to pay child support. He obviously had no intention of taking care of his many kids. Seems to me you could make a good case this is worse than killing a few dogs.

hchamp

Reaction score

He's got nine kids by nine different women. When does "irresponsibility" cross over into sociopathy? Seems to me a good argument can be made that Henry crossed that line somewhere back around kid #1.

And dog fighting, as a few here pointed out, is a traditional past-time in some parts of the world, including parts of the south where Vick resides. So are you saying everyone involved in it is a "sociopath"?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
Seems to me you could make a good case this is worse than killing a few dogs.
If this case was about Henry beating up women, I would agree with you. But there is an element of consent here not present in the dog-fighting story. I'll bet a lot of these women were looking for a meal ticket.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
In my mind spending 100k on jewelry rather than supporting your children is more indicative of sociopathy than fighting dogs.
Lol. I'm pretty sure it's a classic case of what we call "being a selfish dick." I have sired more children out of wedlock than I can count.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads