• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel Tips thread

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allreds
Venice is overrated.

Skip the Louvre.

Skip Brussels...

I disagree with the above.

As for Venice ... I recommend visiting in off-season ... and visiting often enough -- or staying long enough -- to know your way around. Use the vaporetto in Venice; this form of public transportation is THE best way to see the Grand Canal ... will take you very near to just about anywhere you want to go ... and is infinitely less expensive (well, you know what I mean) that a water taxi or a gondola.

The Louvre ... know what you want to see (and visit off-season and at other than peak hours).

Brussels ... the Grand Place (or Grote Markt) alone is worth a visit ... and there is MUCH more to see.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Originally Posted by allreds
It's OK to be a tourist - they know you're not one of them - just don't be a jerk.
You can always carry a local newspaper ... just don't say anything unless you speak the language without an accent.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Huh. Never knew you needed anything like that. Where do you pick up one of those? Does it come with your passport?
You are made aware of the requirements when you apply for the visa or, if no visa is needed, you simply have to check online to see if there are any restrictions or mandatory immunizations. Where you get the immunizations is where you'll get the yellow booklet called the "International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis." The booklet is approved by The World Health Organization and is what must be presented with your passport upon entry to the country that requires the immunizations. In the booklet a physician must indicate what immunizations have been given, the date, and then sign it. Some countries are very strict about this, and won't let you in unless all requirements have been met.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just got back from 4 weeks in western China. my standard day bag:

PacSafe MetroSafe 200 (it's a little small, i'd opt for a larger one that could carry a jacket/sweater)
Purell
Glasses
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Immodium
Toilet paper in Ziploc (also add'l Ziplocs and a garbage bag)
Bayer aspirin
Phrasebook (Tibetan and Central Asia in this case)
Map
Pen
Camera
Extra battery for camera
Blackberry
Passport
Money
Credit Card
Health insurance card
Water
Kindle (preloaded with Lonely Planet guides)
Jacket tied around waist

-Jeff

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do a fair amount of business travel each year, mostly regional, but I haven't been on Delta in a decade. I'm going to be stuck on one of their flights going out of JFK this coming June and checking their webpage it appears my carry-on is exactly one inch too wide for their maximum (although it is less than the total allowable linear inches. Anybody have any experience with the JFK Delta people as to how annoying they are with enforcing this?

Carry-on Baggage Size Restrictions
When oversized bags do not fit in the overhead bins, delays occur. Fees will be applied to the oversized bag if it has to be checked at the gate. To avoid delays as well as fees, follow these size requirements:
Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 115 cm) in combined length, width, and height.
Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check, which is located near the check-in counters and at the gate and is approximately 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm).

amstokesdb9

Reaction score
I have gotten away with some pretty large things on delta flights, though I can't speak for jFK. The one issue I did have with Delta was that my luggage was two pounds overweight, I had to rearrange my bags and throw something out.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate, hate, hate flying through JFK. Good luck with the miserable Delta employees there.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
most scams rely on either ego/greed, or breaking social conventions.

When you start to get that gut feeling that something is wrong, do NOT go with the flow. Alarm bells should ring and by default you should remove yourself from the situation...

examples:
someone you just met tells you to follow them somewhere, go for a drink, take/hold something or give them something, etc
it looks like a great deal... if it's too good to be true, it probably is. You're not a special exception.
never assume anything, always ask the price in advance (food, drinks, cabs, etc).

Do NOT be afraid to SAY something, hell yell something if you have to. It's the people who are uncomfortable, realize something may be off, by try to wait it out because they're 'tolerant of cultures and open minded' or 'don't want to make a fuss' that get screwed. When in doubt, get the hell out of the situation so you can avoid whatever someone is putting you through. Just turn and walk away. better to be paranoid and safe then a pushover and get taken advantage of. touristy areas rely on being able to screw different people over with teh same tricks again and again.

also youtube a show called the real hustle. Even if you don't encounter the same scams, just knowing how they work and why will make you much more alert to when something similar is happening to you.

Rangoon

Reaction score
I always ask for a seat near the back of the plane on long haul. The check in people always fill up the seats in order from the front moving backwards hence any empty seats are usually towards the back. It means that you beat the mass scramble for the empty seats so you can lie down when the fasten the seat belt sign is switched off. As the passengers come running up in search of the magical three empty seats together you are already there with your headphones on,shoes off and stretched out with a glass of bubbly in your hand, lovely.

Also the stewardesses always hang around at the back of the plane during the flight so you have more chances to get to know them a little and get some extra food or complimentary champers etc.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah when ever i took long bus rides or planes with no prior seating in europe i would sit in the aisle seat and not make eye contact with people walking by. almost looking angry. i then had flights with a whole aisle and over night busses with both seats to myself. it was great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics