• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Nothing offensive to anyone here, but a comment was made on one of the very few things that get instant lockage. Sorry it happened to your thread

I understand you, thanks for you, understanding, me.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Server move is now done - please report any issues here. Downtime was about 55 minutes. Your ISP's records should update within 72 hours and then the redirect page will not show up anymore.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Server move is now done - please report any issues here. Downtime was about 55 minutes. Your ISP's records should update within 72 hours and then the redirect page will not show up anymore.

It feels much faster now... the old server was real bad.. I have been frequenting other forums using the same forum software and their performance was very good even with much more members, threads and posts...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know, it was sad. We'll see what it's like when we get a bunch of people on here tomorrow, but I have much more power to tweak settings on this server, and it's generally much more powerful anyway. We went from a Celeron 2.8GHz to a Pentium 3.4GHz dual core (i.e. 2x 3.4GHz processors) and we are running off of a 10kRPM Raptor drive, and much faster RAM, along with a bunch of performance enhancing tweaks such as slightly stripped down Apache, APC which caches the most used scripts (like showthread.php) to memory so they aren't re-compiled every time they are accessed, etc.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The redirection from www.styleforum.net to this address 72.52.199.140 is not working.... You need to change the addressing in the DNS so this new address would become styleforum.net

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
The redirection from www.styleforum.net to this address 72.52.199.140 is not working.... You need to change the addressing in the DNS so this new address would become styleforum.net

Yeah, I was lucky enough to see Lakewolfs link on AAAC. I guess a lot of people are trying to get on SF right now and are getting the old DNS, and are wondering what is happening.

BTW: The new server is much improved. I used to get bogged down using SF and kept getting freezes, while switching between threads. This new server is a pleasure and much improved.

BTW: Thank You J!!! A lot of people think that SF is free (no costs involved), and runs itself. It does not.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
DNS should update everywhere in 24 to 72 hours.

!luc

Yes, but the old site had an automatic redirection to this new address, the redirection worked in the morning UTC 7:00 but stopped around UTC 11:00...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I just talked to someone at the new host and for some reason their DNS doesn't have the right entry. It looks like someone may have set it up as if I wanted to run my own nameserver on this server, so they are adding the entry right now and it should update immediately for the people who are getting the blank page. Unfortunately there was no way for me to know this was wrong last night when I went to bed and the redirect page was still coming up...
confused.gif

He says he's adding it right now, so it should come up soon.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, they pointed it to the home IP of the server where the forum site is on the other IP (...140). He updated it and it should be working soon.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also getting many "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." messages

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm working on those. We switched to MySQL 5 from 4, and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. If you refresh or click again, does it go through okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads