• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Training suggestions for a Muay Thai amateur fight...

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Spar hard and train hard in the months before the fight, focus on your strategy as well. In the 1-2 weeks right before your fight, cut down on your training and go light, focus on technique, and don't spar so hard. You don't want to get injured, and you want to be ready to peak for your fight.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to train for ass kicking, then proceed to do so at the fight.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good luck.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long are the rounds? How many?

My gym's MMA team does CF-style workouts in prep for fights. I think the "Fight Gone Bad" workout is one of their favorites.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
how much weight will you need to cut? How long do you have til the fight?
The fight's in January so I have plenty of time to prepare. I'm going to start a little more seriously in October. Probably 5 days a week. Definitely running, sprints, hills, sparring, abs, pushups, squats, etc... I just thought I'd try to get some specific suggestions as to what have worked well for others. (If there are any others on this site...) Unfortunately, I just fractured my orbital bone (I think) during sparring last week which will apparently require surgery. I assume that I'll still be ready for January.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im not sure if anyone here is qualified to comment on anything other than jeans ( im kidding, dont cry)

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
The fight's in January so I have plenty of time to prepare. I'm going to start a little more seriously in October. Probably 5 days a week. Definitely running, sprints, hills, sparring, abs, pushups, squats, etc...

I just thought I'd try to get some specific suggestions as to what have worked well for others. (If there are any others on this site...)

Unfortunately, I just fractured my orbital bone (I think) during sparring last week which will apparently require surgery. I assume that I'll still be ready for January.

try here:http://www.rossboxing.com/

not muy thai, but a lot of the basic conditioning and advice should carry over.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I had exactly three amateur kickboxing fights for a very symmetrical record of 1-1-1. Used to train with a couple of guys who were like state champions and so on, so the advice below is part-me and part-them, since we would all chip in when they were training, and I used to end up cornering them regularly as well.

In the leadup, I would almost always have to cut about 5 kilo, so the last week would be devoted to roadwork in the sweatsuit to get the last kilo or so off, and shadow/very light sparring. Thankfully I was pretty good with it, never had to go do the sauna-in-the-plastic-bag thing to get the weight down. I'd occasionally go in there with the other guys when they were trying to frantically cut before a weigh in and needed the company...I didn't envy them.

There would basically be no full contact sparring for 10 days to 2 weeks before the fight - have to minimise any chance of injury. Reading your post, it looks like you have just discovered that the hard way. The last day I would do practically nothing. Once I went and swam some laps, but otherwise, best to just chill.

The weeks before that would be basically full on sparring time, with lots of the tag-teaming people in and out on me. Ongoing rotating 1-2 minute rounds with no rest and with constantly changing opponents. The better guys could last about 10 mins of that if they were lucky...it's damn tough. Rest. Repeat.

As it got closer, he used to have me working 5 minute rounds (ie 2 mins longer than the rounds of the fight) for the conditioning...you neeeeeed this...you will gas a lot quicker in the ring than in training, just from all the pressure and the nerves, it really messes with your breathing.

Spar with a huge variety of guys...larger dudes so you get used to the power and coming back from the shot, smaller guys so you get used to the speed, rangier dudes so you get used to moving in and out and closing distance, shorter dudes so you can prevent him doing the same to you, etc etc.

I'm assuming you will know very very little about your opponent (if anything, other than his name and his gym and the fact that in theory he should weigh the same as you) going in...it was always like that with me anyhow, so you have to prepare for all comers and aim to be well rounded.

First fight, right? Will you be wearing shin pads and headgear for it?

The conditioning work - sounds like you have it pretty well covered....

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
The weeks before that would be basically full on sparring time, with lots of the tag-teaming people in and out on me. Ongoing rotating 1-2 minute rounds with no rest and with constantly changing opponents. The better guys could last about 10 mins of that if they were lucky...it's damn tough. Rest. Repeat.
Unfortunately, the gym I currently go to is pretty small. Not a lot of sparring partners or experience. I have about a year and a half at another gym where I learned A LOT and had a great coach. I think I'm going to have to rely on what I learned there and just get in the best shape I can be in for the fight. I'd like to move closer the gym where I started training but that's not going to happen before the fight. I'm kinda stuck at a gym that's not so great.
Originally Posted by m@T
As it got closer, he used to have me working 5 minute rounds (ie 2 mins longer than the rounds of the fight) for the conditioning...you neeeeeed this...you will gas a lot quicker in the ring than in training, just from all the pressure and the nerves, it really messes with your breathing.
Yeah, this is what everyone keeps saying. My coaches keep telling me that my first fight will be all about cardio because of nerves, anxiety, etc.
Originally Posted by m@T
I'm assuming you will know very very little about your opponent (if anything, other than his name and his gym and the fact that in theory he should weigh the same as you) going in...it was always like that with me anyhow, so you have to prepare for all comers and aim to be well rounded.
I don't think that they start looking for opponents until about a month before the fight. Apparently, for one's first fight they don't have a weight class. They just will try to match the opponents by experience (none), by weight (within 10 lbs of each other) and age.
Originally Posted by m@T
First fight, right? Will you be wearing shin pads and headgear for it?
Yeah, first fight. I was supposed to have my first fight last year when I was training at my old gym but they couldn't find an opponent. It's full padding, headgear, shins, gloves, etc... How did your fights go?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
won 1, lost 1, split decision drew 1

Lost my first - most people do - the nerves are incredible. Knocked out in the second.

Won my second - I thought I was lucky to pull it out actually. Fought the same guy again to a draw in the third.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
won 1, lost 1, split decision drew 1

Lost my first - most people do - the nerves are incredible. Knocked out in the second.

Won my second - I thought I was lucky to pull it out actually. Fought the same guy again to a draw in the third.

If you don't mind, how did the fights go? Any words of wisdom?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics