• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Training suggestions for a Muay Thai amateur fight...

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is some advice.

If you don't have enough sparring partners or someone who can't push you enough don't take the fight.

where are you fighting and do yu have to wear crappy headgear and leg pads??

You need to put in time! are you working now or do you have all day to train?

You should ( I recommend) doing your cadrio in the morning then at night pad drills and sparring when the sparring portion comes into play.

JUMP ROPE and work the hell out of your core!!!

If you are fighting 3 five minute rounds you need to work out 7x's that amount roughly. if that makes since.

You should have a good circuti program line up and someone to help you with your long runs and sprints.

You need someone who really knows how to hold the pads for you.
You need to understand the basics completley.

Like I said in the beginning if you can't commit to the things I said don't fight until you can. Yu will thank me later.
Best,
Mauro

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with Mauro for the most part - don't take the fight unless you are confident in first, your conditioning, then your training, then your corner, which essentially means confident in your gym. I never fought Muy Thai, but have a non stellar record under American and also International, rules. American rules are really narrow, and are sort of like boxing rules. There is no clinching, no elbows or knees. International rules allowed the Muy Thai clinch, and knees above the waist, but no elbows and no throws. I also fought several MMA matches, which are a completely different animal altogether.

I think that the thing that helped me most, especially in my first couple of fights, was the fresh opponent drill. By the 3rd opponent, you will be starting to make mistakes. Well, maybe you are really good, but by that point, I start to make huge mistakes, and every bad habit starts to pop up. Mine, for the record, are not looking where I am punching (hey, you connect, you know it, right?), and throwing lazy, off center jabs which make it really easy for an opponent to go straight down the middle on (makes for a very sore neck the next few days). Essentially, I looked like a much small version of the heavyweights in the last TUF show - not really a good look. At that point, you are working on both cardio and mental toughness. They sort of go hand in hand. If you can get to the point where you feel good, and not completely overwhelmed after 8 minutes of fresh opponents, you are well on your way. I suppose that you are fighting two or three 3 minute rounds for your first fight?

Of course, you should try to be in the best condition possible and try to cut weight gradually. Having someone who can really work the pads with you is really, really, important, and having different sparring partners is definitely important as well. I would definitely not spar without protective equipment for a few weeks before your fight, and, like Matt said, I'd eschew full contact for a week, at least, because even with protective gear, it's easy to get hurt, and you don't want to have to forfeit or go in banged up.

Anyway, what I wrote is nothing new, and I learned this from some good coaches, who actually got me (not particularly athletic, quite aggressive, high pain threshold) to use my strengths and compensate for my weaknesses.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
If you are fighting 3 five minute rounds
what organisation fights muay thai in 5 minute rounds?

3 would be standard (even in Thailand)

Ive never heard of anywhere with 5 minutes, I fought 3x3, but I know back home some amateurs will have the beginners fight 3x2 minute rounds for their first couple of fights.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You should, like, workout and stuff.

crackup[1].gif

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry M@T five rounds at 3min. my typing and grammer is not so good as everyone knows..lol

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good timing! i have a boxing match on oct 16th! key is run, run, run. most amateur fights are won by good cardio. if the other guy doesnt knock you out right away and you can push the pace youll most likely win. no matter what you think your first fight will be a **** show. youll come out gung ho and throw everything. if you dont knock him out in the first youll atleast have enrgy to go out the next round and fight. if youre in bad shape and the gung ho which you will most def do your first fight doesnt work, youre gonna get knocked out the second round. good luck!

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Spar hard and train hard in the months before the fight, focus on your strategy as well. In the 1-2 weeks right before your fight, cut down on your training and go light, focus on technique, and don't spar so hard. You don't want to get injured, and you want to be ready to peak for your fight.

two weeks is too early to go light. lighter on sparring maybe, but not lighter on running etc. you should be pushing hard until about 3 days before the fight. this is amateur its only 3 or 4 rounds you wont exhaust yourself in training like you could for a 12 rounder.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpmac7
i would just eat creatine and watch ong bak like 50 times or something......

+ the foot fist way

Demodulate

Reaction score
this probably isnt what your looking for, but I was just introduced to this over the weekend.. Ginastica Natural - a short clip of some highlights I use to train muay thai before I blew a disk out and needed surgery.. this was last decemeber.. I have since lightly started training BJJ and just basic weight training.. I am super excited to learn more Ginastica Natural though, as it will give me a way to work out and stretch on my own while still learning some of the basic jiu jitsu movements.. beyond that your going to just need to get your cardio up.. drill drill drill, and then do more cardio.. you also might want to practice taking verbal instructions from the coach without thinking.. if he says throw a left hook.. you should just react..

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Demodulate
this probably isnt what your looking for, but I was just introduced to this over the weekend..

Ginastica Natural -

a short clip of some highlights

I use to train muay thai before I blew a disk out and needed surgery.. this was last decemeber..

I have since lightly started training BJJ and just basic weight training..

I am super excited to learn more Ginastica Natural though, as it will give me a way to work out and stretch on my own while still learning some of the basic jiu jitsu movements..

beyond that your going to just need to get your cardio up.. drill drill drill, and then do more cardio..

you also might want to practice taking verbal instructions from the coach without thinking.. if he says throw a left hook.. you should just react..

Ginastica Natural is an incredible workout. Look for stuff from Sergio Silva, who is a beast at this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads