• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tour of Rubinacci workshop / Cappelli atelier -- June 2011

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Pretty much. They asked me if I felt something was too tight or too loose, but that is pretty much the extent of my input with respect to fit.

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
That's kinda the way I do it too - I may have a few comments during subsequent fittings, but I never walk in with a laundry list of requests.

I made such approach with the last tailor in Naples, whose comission I am awaiting by the end of the June. I just specified what I wanted and said how I felt. I don't know how it will turn out, but am already prepared that it may be a traimwreck and that I will have to send it back or wait until next trip for possible alterations.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As ridiculous as this whole process seems to me at times, I have to admit that when I read your write-ups on these trips I dream of someday experiencing this. Sounds fantastic. Can't wait to see the new suits.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ +1,000

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Srly. Do some of you guys post on here to intentionally be class 1 A-holes? There is one thing to have a bona fide discussion, but many times it seems as if you people do it simply to rile up Foo. And we know what the result is. 50 pages of a thread that is ultimately derailed and more garbage than helpful. Maybe some of you guys would feel more comfortable posting on FNB. Those guys are an insufferable, mean-spirited bunch.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again not entirely correct as the Neapolitan style existed before them and more than the 30-50 Attolini snr led LH there was the De Nicola School.

And to clarify, the feedback I got was not from tailors but from people that uses tailors and then I have followed up with tailors...

Again, Internet created over hype....
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't think anyone has claimed they single-handedly created the Neapolitan tailoring style (which, as you note, can actually be construed to be quite varied). The point is that they have deeply influenced tailoring in Naples and continue to do the same work they've been doing for decades. Hence, you are getting what can be called a very classic Neapolitan suit, if not the definitive one.

The shaping of the jacket was by far and large the result of collaboration between Mariano and Gennaro. I was fairly passive throughout the process.

Anyway, I actually think that the jackets they make for me are quite similar to what Mariano himself wears, perhaps moreso than what other forum clients have, differences in underlying physique notwithstanding.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I've never had the pleasure of working with Sig. Rubinacci, I love the cut of his coats (and the cut of his hair).

wmb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
Though I've never had the pleasure of working with Sig. Rubinacci, I love the cut of his coats (and the cut of his hair).

would you consider the cut of his trouser ?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Foo's
foo.gif
sartorial adventures with beautiful pictorial documentations........CHECK.

-Heated discussions
fight[1].gif
and borderline personal insults, discussion minute details...........CHECK.

-Vox's expert level derailment.............CHECK.

Styleforum, like the good ol' days..................YEAH!!!!!!!!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

If I were you, rather than playing around and editing photographs, I would take a few minutes to analyze this side-by-side comparison and see how you can improve.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spalla GTFO.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
ed can you repost your post?

kthx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads