Tour of Rubinacci workshop / Cappelli atelier -- June 2011

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jun 13, 2011.

1. banis

banis Senior member

Pretty much. They asked me if I felt something was too tight or too loose, but that is pretty much the extent of my input with respect to fit.

That's kinda the way I do it too - I may have a few comments during subsequent fittings, but I never walk in with a laundry list of requests.

I made such approach with the last tailor in Naples, whose comission I am awaiting by the end of the June. I just specified what I wanted and said how I felt. I don't know how it will turn out, but am already prepared that it may be a traimwreck and that I will have to send it back or wait until next trip for possible alterations.

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

As ridiculous as this whole process seems to me at times, I have to admit that when I read your write-ups on these trips I dream of someday experiencing this. Sounds fantastic. Can't wait to see the new suits.

4. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

^ +1,000

5. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Srly. Do some of you guys post on here to intentionally be class 1 A-holes? There is one thing to have a bona fide discussion, but many times it seems as if you people do it simply to rile up Foo. And we know what the result is. 50 pages of a thread that is ultimately derailed and more garbage than helpful. Maybe some of you guys would feel more comfortable posting on FNB. Those guys are an insufferable, mean-spirited bunch.

6. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

Again not entirely correct as the Neapolitan style existed before them and more than the 30-50 Attolini snr led LH there was the De Nicola School.

And to clarify, the feedback I got was not from tailors but from people that uses tailors and then I have followed up with tailors...

Again, Internet created over hype....
    I don't think anyone has claimed they single-handedly created the Neapolitan tailoring style (which, as you note, can actually be construed to be quite varied). The point is that they have deeply influenced tailoring in Naples and continue to do the same work they've been doing for decades. Hence, you are getting what can be called a very classic Neapolitan suit, if not the definitive one.

The shaping of the jacket was by far and large the result of collaboration between Mariano and Gennaro. I was fairly passive throughout the process.

Anyway, I actually think that the jackets they make for me are quite similar to what Mariano himself wears, perhaps moreso than what other forum clients have, differences in underlying physique notwithstanding.

7. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Though I've never had the pleasure of working with Sig. Rubinacci, I love the cut of his coats (and the cut of his hair).

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

9. wmb

wmb Senior member

Though I've never had the pleasure of working with Sig. Rubinacci, I love the cut of his coats (and the cut of his hair).

[​IMG][​IMG]

would you consider the cut of his trouser ?

10. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

would you consider the cut of his trouser ?

Yes. This pair:

[​IMG]

11. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

-Foo's [​IMG] sartorial adventures with beautiful pictorial documentations........CHECK.

-Heated discussions [​IMG] and borderline personal insults, discussion minute details...........CHECK.

-Vox's expert level derailment.............CHECK.

Styleforum, like the good ol' days..................YEAH!!!!!!!!

12. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

If I were you, rather than playing around and editing photographs, I would take a few minutes to analyze this side-by-side comparison and see how you can improve.

13. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Spalla GTFO.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

less bickering more photos

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

ed can you repost your post?

kthx