• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tour of Rubinacci workshop / Cappelli atelier -- June 2011

andreyb2

Reaction score
Mafoo, thanks for the pics and the story.

The working conditions in Rubinacci shop seems to be truly excellent. You are right -- they compare quite favourably with what one sees on SR. Mariano R deserves a recognition if only for this.

Andrey

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
Not trying to be defensive on Volpe, but I will stick with what Marco says.

Noone with whom I talked to could say that Rubinacci is the best in the city. Comments were different from quite negative to moderate. It was in the context of asking who is/was best tailor/sartoria in Naples. I have never heard that Rubinacci is best of the best. Among best definetely, but not on top.

that is quite a bit different from what i have heard
maybe you are hearing another version of 'tourist spiel'?

many say the establishment makes some of the finest suits
some of the locals may complain about the price
but not the product.
even his competitors have many good things to say
even his ex head cutter

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
That's kinda the way I do it too - I may have a few comments during subsequent fittings, but I never walk in with a laundry list of requests.

Could we see an example or two pointing out those features that reflect your input and those determined independently by the tailor?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I created a new thread that could potentially benefit from your topical fervor, since I think this thread is actually about nice photographs of Rubinacci's sartoria. One woman's history of Neapolitan tailoring - B
No, this thread is about the proper preparation of ribeyes. Didn't you get a kamado or a big green egg not too long ago? Is this somehow involved? Please explain your preferred technique. NB: Hijack or not, I'm serious here. I am going to be cooking up some ribeyes on Friday.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
that is quite a bit different from what i have heard
maybe you are hearing another version of 'tourist spiel'?

many say the establishment makes some of the finest suits
some of the locals may complain about the price
but not the product.
even his competitors have many good things to say
even his ex head cutter

Maybe...

As I've said, anyone could say a bad word about Rubi's quality. I highly doubt that if it was not excellent, there would have been repeated clients.
I have never asked about prices, as I thought that others could be grudge.

I want to try that ex head cutter you are referencing to once in the future. If I manage to come to Naples again this year, I will make efforts to place an order.

Napolitano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
And 'Napoli Su Misura' carries much street cred in Naples?

The truth is that asking around Naples for opinions is the wrong way of going about this. A competitor and its clients are hardly neutral authorities, and random people are hardly worth listening to in the first place. To make matters worse, it is common practice for tailors to trash-talk the most successful of their competitors.

My judgment of Rubinacci in the Neapolitan context is not dependant on gossip. The history of the firm is well-established and the clothes they make today are essentially the same as what they were making 50-70 years ago. Moreover, they are transparent about the crafting of their product and the resulting workmanship speaks for itself. The service is top-notch, and much better than what my friends report from other tailors around the world.

Why on earth should I care how many Neapolitans think Rubinacci makes a good suit? How many Americans can tell you how to grill the best ribeye? How many Japanese know where to get the best kimono? The quality of the opinion is what counts, not the quantity.

Tha Asian what?

Napolitano non ha ritenuto Rubinacci, questo è solo per i turisti ignoranti di molto denaro e di cattivo gusto come i cinesi e gli altri dolcemente con i pantaloni arancioni e grinta. Si prega di fare il nostro stile poco.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Yes, I have a Komodo Kamado. I do not use it for steaks. I suggest this way to make and plate your ribeyes:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. - B

Interesting. Thanks. I have pan-fried steaks, including ribeyes before, of course, but I confess deep-frying them in a pound of butter did not occur to me. Even though I have serious doubts about accepting tips on how to cook steaks from a Brit, I will give it a try. Nothing quite like a charcoal-grilled steak, though. The attractions of a pound of butter notwithstanding.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rufino
+10000 Neapolitan style existed far before the Rubinacci family self proclamed the inventors and people with low personality as some here with questionable good taste are their tifossi.

Rubinacci family also invented pizza napolitana...

But you bought their book.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
I want to try that ex head cutter you are referencing to once in the future. If I manage to come to Naples again this year, I will make efforts to place an order.

He has an atelier in Rome as well.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
But you bought their book.

Well, ostensibly they invented their own book, so maybe he's okay with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads