• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

topcoat alterations

bob

Reaction score
I'm a short guy (5'5') looking for a bargain topcoat. I found this http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...t-For-Men.html in my size on stp. Looks promising but I have no idea how much a topcoat can be shortened before they look off.

Is it possible shortening them enough to fit me? They are 45in long to begin with.

On a side note, how do you care for camel hair?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure how much they would need to be shortened, but I'm sure you could get away with at least a couple of inches in the body length before the vent would look too short, and an inch or so in the sleeves depending on whether it has a button vent.

Care of camel hair is basically the same as soft wool - brush gently, steam out occasionally, spot clean if necessary, dry clean rarely.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am 5'7" and i just got out my tape measure...and a 45" from the shoulder reached just past my knee. on you, i'd imagine it'd reach almost the middle of your shin! that's really long (for my taste). but of course, bringing it up a few inches (5-6) shouldn't hurt, as long as the back vent is long enough (which isn't specified in the description). in any case, remember to apply the 20% coupon!

tanalasta

Reaction score
Been eyeing that exact RL topcoat but was unable to find anything about the quality of it.

If you do order it, please do take photos and let us know what the quality of the cut and construction are.

bob

Reaction score
Don't think I'll be ordering it. I think its going to be way too long for me after reading the advice. Probably would need to take off 7in from the length if i don't want to look like an idiot.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Almost any topcoat can easily be shortened a couple of inches. Beyond that, it depends totally on the coat's vent and pockets whether it starts to look weird. 7" is excessive and would look odd.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone's taken the plunge on this coat. It looks like too great a bargain to pass up.

Sizing question - I'm a size 46R. Should I buy 46 or should I size up if I intend to wear this over a suit?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I wonder if anyone's taken the plunge on this coat. It looks like too great a bargain to pass up.

Sizing question - I'm a size 46R. Should I buy 46 or should I size up if I intend to wear this over a suit?

You buy your normal size and they size up the cut.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a Lauren by Ralph Lauren, which is the bottom line stuff.

Retail price is too much, at the current sale price, +20% off, it's not bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads