• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 5 Awesumest Jobs...not your career.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a companion to the crappiest jobs thread. What early jobs did you have that were pretty sweet gigs. Can't be your permanent career, just something you did that was pretty fun/lucrative/whatever while you were young and in school.

I had several that were pretty good gigs:

1. While in college I worked at a tobacco store. Learned a lot about pipes, cigars, and all implements of the sweet smoke. This was 15 years before Cigar Aficionado made it mainstream.

2. Threw the Wall Street Journal. What made this gig fun was that you had 4 hours to throw the route and got paid minimum wage for 4 hours, plus mileage even though it only took about 1 hour to run the route. Also, the route was in downtown OKC at about 4am so no one was on the streets. You could drive the wrong way on one-ways, etc. and no one cared.

3. Pizza Hut. Cooked pizza. Not bad for a high school kid. Free food. On slow nights my friends would come in and if the manager wasn't there we'd have a pizza party.

4. Wal-Mart HQ. My first office job was in High School at the Wal-Mart HQ in Bentonville. My first experience with getting paid without actually having to sweat. I never looked back.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Working at a little pizza place in my hometown. It was awesome. The pizza was pretty damn good, and I was the only man on staff, working alongside a lot of the hotties from my high school and my hometown. Free food, good money, etc. That's actually how I met Lish and got to know her and swept her off her feet. Plus, being the only guy who worked there, I would get special jobs from our mysoginistic owner. Little tasks like weeding the little 10x10 garden patch got me $50 cash every week, and the girls never even got offered the job. Plus, working there in general was fun.

Second was 4 years after my little oil experiment at the trucking company. I was 17 years old, got paid $10 an hour to walk around 10 hours a day and weedwhack everything I saw. One of those huge weedwhackers that you sling around your neck and has two sets of little blades. My hips got bruised like crazy from the metal and all the friction, but I was getting $100 a day for a 100% mindless job that I didn't get questioned about, and I was damn good at. It was hard, back-breaking work, but it was mindless and I enjoyed the manual labor.

OH! and doing deliveries for Jimmy John's in Lincoln, IL. Two college campuses within a mile of the store, and one was literally just out the back door of the store. Small town, it was nice. Tips sucked for the most part, but once it got past 11 or so, the last two hours of work were full of deliveries to the college campus where the people would invariably be drunk or high. So I didn't even have to drive my car, it was usually one or two blocks away, and I got great tips from a bunch of drunk people. Plus it's kind of funny when there's a crowd of 25 people hanging outside and they all start drunkenly cheering when you walk up with 5 bags of cheap sandwiches.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I worked in a few capacities in the bar scene. They all ended up being a huge source for free booze, various illicit substances, and more talent tossed my way than I could hope for. One summer I was a canvasser for an old school "tin man." I would knock on doors during the morning, and keep going until I set up an appointment to bring the old tin man in during the evening. We'd spend most afternoons at a horse track.
laugh.gif
The money was quite nice too.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 High school teacher (taught ESL) Terrific kids. Challenging, but very rewarding

2 Security at an outdoor music venue. Best seats in the house. Was paid to tackle people.

3 Waiter. For the most part, I enjoyed the interactions with customers. It was a relatively nice restaurant, and the patrons all tended to be in a great mood.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Lot attendant at a Lexus dealership in high school. Paid to go on "dealer trades" which for me was a roadtrip and a license to beat the balls off of anything I was given the keys to. I miss the days of sleeping in car the off site storage lot all while getting paid.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sold at flea markets as a kid - learned to sell, learned to deal with adult, learned a lot about responsibility.

worked nights in a bakery, hard, dirty work, but it was a great deal of responsibility for a kid - essentially it was a huge bakery, and I was responsible for packing the bread, slicing the sliced bread, and loading it on the right trucks. had a small team, worked from 11 pm until morning.

no job is as fun as being a combat soldier. work nights, shoot people, spend time outdoors

trained foreign soldiers. lots of fun. not to be an asshole, but I knew that I wasn't going to have to have these guys watch my back later on, so I did a good job, but I didn't really have to care about them.

security for a judge - very intense, wouldn't want to do that for my whole life, but a good part time job as a student.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
security for a judge - very intense, wouldn't want to do that for my whole life, but a good part time job as a student.

I've never heard of this. Was did the job entail? Ever get into a fight because of it?

csulli13

Reaction score
Worked for a car brokerage that dealt with high end clients. Got to drive Porsches, Mercedes, Lexuses (Lexi?),BMWs, and even a Viper once (From Pasadena to Glendale). Occasionally had to deliver cars to San Diego or San Franscisco, which was always fun.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I've never heard of this. Was did the job entail? Ever get into a fight because of it?

yeah, there was a thread a while back about fighting in nice clothes, and a discussion was there

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=fighting

(it goes on for a few pages)

I was in Israel, and I worked for the justice department, as part of the baliffs deparment. I was responsible for security for a judge, and for a while for the minister of justice. I really only got into one fight during that job, and once I was about a split hair from shooting somebody - some idiot pulled up on a motercycle and stoped next to where my guy was pulling out of the office in his car and I though that he was getting ready to shoot, but it passed in a second and it was nothing.

mostly, it was basic bodyguard stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads