• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Mahon: An Englishcut in New York

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montauk
. I gather that the bespoke world has a lot of that going around...

He makes a few other dubious claims about RTW makers on his blog. And as I said before....

RTW admittedly has many faults. Using old patterns is not one of them.

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greger
No video?

It was so dark that any video would have been unwatchable. I felt bad enough taking a couple flash photos.

Were there any other forumites there?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Mr. Mahon should refrain from commenting on things about which he clearly has no knowledge.

Sounds more like he is purposely putting out misinformation. By the time I was four or five I knew about fittings. If tailors are the best at making personal patterns and they need fittings, then what at the store doesn't need fittings? The fact that he uses methods that go back 80 year, what manufacture uses a pattern system that old? And he talks like his is newer?

Mahon sounds like a fox at putting out misinformation.

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
RTW admittedly has many faults. Using old patterns is not one of them.

Fair enough. Given the post-Snackwells fit of most low-end RTW, I'm inclined to agree.

But what would bespoke be without cheapshots at RTW? That's at least part of what one pays for. ;-)

Montauk

Reaction score
By the time I was four or five I knew about fittings.

Thank you for that. How old are you now? I'd wait until you stop growing to really invest in bespoke.

If tailors are the best at making personal patterns and they need fittings, then what at the store doesn't need fittings?

eh.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds more like he is purposely putting out misinformation. By the time I was four or five I knew about fittings. If tailors are the best at making personal patterns and they need fittings, then what at the store doesn't need fittings? The fact that he uses methods that go back 80 year, what manufacture uses a pattern system that old? And he talks like his is newer?

Mahon sounds like a fox at putting out misinformation.

WTF are you talking about?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Given the post-Snackwells fit of most low-end RTW, I'm inclined to agree.

But what would bespoke be without cheapshots at RTW? That's at least part of what one pays for. ;-)

A good question for you to think about is if tailors are so good and they are making personal patterns with personal measurements, why do they have fittings?

RTW makes generic. That means they are trying to fit reasonable as many people as they can with out fittings or much of a fitting. That means they are always updateing there patterns to meet those needs.

Tailors take fitting much farther, at least they should than what a alterations tailor can do. And you pay for that extra skill.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good question for you to think about is if tailors are so good and they are making personal patterns with personal measurements, why do they have fittings?

No. It's a horrible question. I'm better served thinking when my next sh!t will be.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OJFC. Leave the forum now.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that. How old are you now? I'd wait until you stop growing to really invest in bespoke.

Past the 50 mark nowadays.

What knowledge I have, which isn't much, is because there is some family tailoring history in it. In the past, when there were many tailors, they put out a lot of chaff with little bit of wheat. It was competitive and they didn't want home sewers to make slopy clothes, but good enough not to come to the tailor. And every tailor has his own opinions he doesn't want other tailors to know to much about, secrets. I try to be open minded. Some tmes I look through a lot of chaff to find one grain of wheat. Tailors are masters at giving a partically correct answers, or an answer that solves one problem but creates another. Keep the witless going around in circles.

Montauk

Reaction score
I'm sorry greger, but your posts appear to be constructed primarily from mistranslated sartorially-themed fortune cookies.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
........sorry, that was mean.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well guys, If you ever try to make and fit a coat you wll discover the complexities of the human body. A little bit different and a seam should be move a little to match, or a little shaping with the iron, and so on. When at a beach or pool take a look at the different slopes of shoulders and how much shoulder blades stick out and chest that juts out or flat and so on with your fellow peers. There is much for a tailor to consider when he is looking at you. Sometimes some guess work there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads