• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford Suits, are they worth 5Gs?

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kulata
Sorry nothing terrible in the pics you posted and most of them look better than a lot of garbage on here. The suits could do with a little alteration here or there but they are far from terrible.

I'm not sure if they are terrible, but certainly not good. Those poor fits probably have more to do with the tastes/specifications of the celebs and their stylists, and not the cut of the suits. A lot of people look fantastic in Tom Ford, himself included.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Well, this weekend I paid FULL RETAIL for an expensive shirt which I could have had made by a real tailor but my last bunch of shirts made by a real tailor came in with sleeves too short, a monogram when I had asked for none, and they arrived a month and a half late so I just wanted to have a shirt that I could wear right now that I knew would be the right sleeve length. I suspect the guy who paid $3900 for his suit may have been similarly motivated.

Retail shirt is way cheaper than custom. And why aren't you making your own?

Yes, some people do have money to burn. Wish I could burn $3900. And it is true that you might see something in a store that you couldn't find a tailor to make.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Because the best tailor in the world doesn't have a tenth of Tom Ford's design talent.

Yup.

You haven't seen to much real tailoring have you?

With some tailors you can walk in with your dreams, for clothing and he makes it (some tailors have limited skill and others have more). With factory you're expected to like somebody elses dream clothes, which is rtw and mtm. With a real tailor you walk in and tell him the design futures you want. At the first fitting these are fine tuned to your body and character and sort out misunderstanding of communication earlier, and so on until the garment is finished second or third, maybe fourth fitting. Tom Fords suits look good on his models, but do they look as hot on you? You can't move with rtw or m2m the button stance up or down that could make a big different on your body. On m2m you can preguess up or down, but you can't fine tune it. Lapel width and shape is also stuck. With custom there are many options premade doesn't have. What looks good on paper doesn't always look good in real life. The model, so to say, is on paper, your body isn't. A tailor can make changes according to your dimensions, premade and your stuck. The little details do count. There is also the fact that there are not many tailors around anymore, and there are some who really can't make your clothing dreams come true.
genie_in_a_lamp.jpg

Lalo Zepeda

Reaction score
Hola

My name is Eduardo Zepeda I work for Harry Rosen at the Vancouver Pacific Centre location I’d like to answer as many question as you may have and I’ll try to get the best answer that you need

Zegna fabrics are distributed to different makers around the globe for example Tom Ford would be constructing their own suits with Zegna fabrics but it would never be the same as a Zegna suit as they are designed differently.

Easy example

The new rolls has a bmw engine that doesn’t mean the are the same car

In Vancouver you can get made a made to measure suit from Zegna fabrics designed by

1. Samuelsohn a Canadian Designer from $1,600.
2. Copley Canadian Designer same thing $1,600.
3. Ermenegildo Zegna from $3500 to $40,000 a Vicuña
fabric. In between you can find trofeo fabrics, 15 mm, 13mm, cool effect, etc

4. Tom Ford $5000 (special order only as there is not an actual shop at the Pacific Centre location)

There is also a different level of fabrication:

Ready to wear: that are the suits that you could find in the stores and the best priced
Made to measure
Bespoke

In addition to that Harry Rosen unveils newly renovated Ermenegildo Zegna store Over 4,500 square feet of retail space with brand-new, state-of-the-art furnishings that reflect Zegna’s latest thinking in design and décor. With more space than ever for shoes and accessories, the store now carries the complete menswear collections from this iconic designer – Ermenegildo Zegna Collection, Z Zegna Collection, Zegna Sport and the Zegna Couture Collection.

Of course, we would be remiss if we didn’t mention that at our Harry Rosen store, we also feature Vancouver’s only Brunello Cucinelli boutique, as well as Canali and Hugo Boss shop-in-shops. In early September we will also unveil a new Giorgio Armani shop-in-shop.

These are very exciting times for us at Harry Rosen, therefore we will be having exclusive events that I’d like to invite you to so I welcome you to contact me or drop by so I can take you on a tour at our store and view our Fall collections.

This is my personal information if you need an appointment.

Thank you!

Eduardo Zepeda
Sales Associate – Harry Rosen
[email protected]
Pacific Center

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads